2.5 yr old cries while pooping on potty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 1/2 year old boy has just recently begun seriously potty training.  He has been doing great with pee and hasn't had an accident in weeks, and gives really obvious signals when he has to poop (really nervous whiny sounds and says "mama" alot).  He has pooped three times now on the potty but cried almost the entire time from when he started to when I took him off the toilet (even after all the poop came out).  He hasn't been crying when he poops in his undies, so I don't think it's painful to go... and the poop looks normal.  Actually, while he's pooping, he sounds like me in labor... it seems unusual.  Is this normal?  Should we not let him sit on the toilet right now when he has to poop?  As soon as I take him off the toilet he's perfectly fine and wants to run and tell everyone he just pooped on the potty.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM

It sounds stressful, emotionally. Maybe add some prune juice to his diet just in case. Personally I'd give him the option to poop somewhere else if he wants. You don't want to rush it if he's showing signs of stress.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 AM

Our DD (2.5 as well) has always been a little anxious when it comes to pooping due to severe constipation issues when she was younger.

Even though we are very careful with her diet to ensure it doesn't hurt when she poops, there is still some uneasiness on her part.

We recently started potty training as well.  She was unsure about pooping on the potty at first so what we've started letting her do is either read a book (she wants privacy - won't let us ready to her) or play a game on the iPad while on the toilet.

I know it might not be a popular choice or what's recommended by some of the books, but I've found allowing her to do this takes her mind off pooping and helps her relax and go.  She isn't focused on actually going so sits and takes her time rather than jumping off right away claiming ("I don't have to go") because she's not willing to take a moment to relax.

She likely won't always need to do this when she goes poop but DH and I figure that the more often she goes and has a positive experience (i.e. it doesn't hurt etc.) the less anxious/uncomfortable she'll be.

Tags
Toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page