Molars - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 1yr old has at least 3 of his molars coming in at once.  He has been crying day and night now for 1 week.  Is it normal for them to be fussy this long??? He had a slight fever the first 3 days but it has since disappeared but the poor guy is in a lot of pain. I give him small doses of Motrin just so he can sleep.  How long should this last?

#2 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Oh, your poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any amount of time that teething pain and fussiness *should* last, because it's so different for every kid. My DS had 8 teeth coming in at once (4 molars and 4 canines) from about 16-17 months of age. He wasn't crying non-stop (it mostly affected him at night), but the pain seemed to last forever! The molars, in particular, can take so long to fully emerge. I think it took almost three months for my son's upper molars to come all the way through his gums.

The other thing I will say is, if you feel that his fussiness is really extreme and you have any doubt about whether it is teething or sickness, you could take you son to see his pediatrician just to make sure there is nothing else going on (especially if you are nearing the edge of your sanity dealing with all the crying, and it seems way outside of the normal for him).

You will make it through this, even if it seems long! Good luck!

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#3 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM

my son has his first molar coming in and it has made him sooo sad and so fragile, he never really bothered with the other 8 heath he got, but this is zoo different.  i actually and guessing that it is because of the tooth that he ended up catching a cold (lower immune system from sleepless nights, inconsistent food intake) and now we all have his cold. i still feel worst for him, because he has the cold and still the molar. so take good care of your bub, he could be on the verge of dealing with multiple things.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 AM

Our guy's molars have taken about 4 months to come in (the last 4, woohooo!) and we actually noticed that he was done with them b/c we found ourselves remembering how delightful he can be.  He was such a fussy crankpot over the last four months it became hard to remember that he's a funny and sweet and cheerful person by nature.  We went through a LOT of motrin at night (one full dose at bedtime) because he was so miserable.  (He's gotten his teeth four at a time and started getting them at 3 months old...4 at four months, 8 at eight months and now 20 at 24 months!)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page