sippy cup help/recommendations? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our DD is almost 15m and still BFs about 4-6 times/day, but we also need her to drink water and other fluids.  We have been having trouble getting her to drink from a cup - we've tried regular grownup cups, straw cups, and sippy cups (the tilty cup, for example).  While the LO will drink out of them a bit, she tends to choke often (as though she gets too much liquid in her mouth at once) and she always wants to use her tongue, which makes sense given that she has mainly just BFed her whole life when she wants to drink, but doesn't work so well for getting liquids out of regular cups. 

So for now, if she's really thirsty and I'm not around or my breasts are empty, she gets a bottle with water in it, instead of a sippy cup, since she gets frustrated with the sippy cups when she is really thirsty.  We are working on just continuing to give her the sippy cups with the hope that she will eventually get it, but I'm not sure if we need to try different cups or do something else...

She's had a sippy cup around for at least 3 months now, and I know that kiddos are supposed to stop using the bottles after about a year because of concerns of oral development and tooth decay.  We are mainly giving her only water in the bottle, so I'm not too worried about the tooth decay, but I do worry about motor development, etc. 

Has anyone else had this experience?  If so, how did you get them to start drinking from a cup?  Did there just come a point when they were ready, or did you have to do something (like switch sippy cups a bunch of times) to get them to learn how to drink from one?  (If it's relevant, our DD had posterior tongue tie that got corrected at 3m, and as far as I can tell, this is no longer an issue, but maybe it affects her drinking from cups?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011

EDD for number 2 on 2/28/2014

#2 of 3 Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM

We tried a lot of different cups, including some of the more expensive brands and honestly had the best luck with these: http://www.diapers.com/p/playtex-first-sipster-cup-7oz-2-pack-5121?site=CI&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_campaign=Google&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=PX-022&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

The handles were key for DS. When daycare tried to give him a sippy, they tried every different type they had but they were focusing on the part that goes in his mouth.  I suggested one with handles and he took to it like a duck to water.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
cww

Thanks for the reply, LittleBirdy.  I'll take a look at the cup that you recommend!  I think for our daughter, the problems seems to have something to do with actually learning how to suck and swallow with a cup that isn't a breast or a bottle - she can't seem to figure out what to do with her tongue, or how to control how much liquid comes into her mouth at once!  We probably should have given her cups before she turned 1, but we just didn't think about it until then since she primarily BFed up to that point...

If anyone else has further recommendations or similar past experiences, I'd be grateful to hear more... :)

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011

EDD for number 2 on 2/28/2014

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page