What is a good tricycle for a 2 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ds just turned two. We have a couple of scoot type things and a pretty big tricycle that is too big for him now. I wanted to get him a small easy to ride tricycle to learn on. Any good ones you all know of? He is almost 25 months old. thanks

#2 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found my dd does better with a balance bike I think it's the Y bike than she does with a tricycle at this point. We have a little trike, I think it's the folding one by radio flyer, but the angle makes it tough for her to pedal. I was thinking a big wheel would be better, but they are mostly too big. We have been sticking with the y bike and the radio flyer wider scooter lately, and she's enjoying them. She rides the trike once in a while, but I wish we had one with the long handle so I could help her more easily.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had this for my son, the ride on classic tiny trike. He loved it and was very adept with it and could go very fast. This design is nice as the back is slim, so the heels do not bump the back wheels. My 2.2 daughter likes to use it too, but she doesnt scoot around much.

http://www.radioflyer.com/ride-ons/classic-tiny-trike.html

We picked up this trike at a yard sale last year. It was too big for her last year and now she can almost reach the peddles, but not quite enough to peddle (she is petite). But its a good size for her, and it has a trunk so she can put her treasures in it. It is a smallish trike met for 1-3 year olds

http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/fold-2-go-trike-1.html

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Skip the trike. Kids don't learn anything on a trike and the pedal ratio is all wrong since there are no gears, no chain. They are pretty much all a pain to pedal. Do your kid a favor and get a lightweight balance bike.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

what exactly is a balance bike?

#6 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM

http://www.skuut.com/

A balance bike is a bike with no pedals that the kid can scoot along on with their feet on the ground. They have to balance (rather than having training wheels), but this is easier because they can just put their feet down.

One can make one by getting a bicycle that's the right size, then, instead of adding training wheels, just removing the pedal crank. (and then when they're ready for pedals, it can be added back)

#7 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

We really liked Kettler products for trikes, scooters and balance bikes.  Not cheap, but nicely made and will last for several kids.  http://www.kettlerusa.com/toys/tricycles

#8 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My lo is 26m. I've been looking around. So far dd doesn't get the peddling.
With my oldest I was given a trike, but quickly moved onto a small bike with trainers. What finally got dd1 off the training wheels was using a scooter for a month. She was 6 and I felt she was ready. The scooter really helped with balance.
I plan and going straight to a scooter with dd2. Balance bike look interesting, but too $

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 AM

DS has the Little Tikes push trike (older model of this one) that his grandparents gave him when he turned one & it has gotten a TON of use (he turned 3 a few months ago & is still using it!) This is what we use for long walks, because he can pedal on his own as much as he wants but I can push him easily when he gets tired. I don't think it's meant for such heavy use though, the front wheel is on its last legs, but otherwise it's held up well.

A friend has the Kettler trike & that's also a hit with DS. Radio Flyer one is great too... He is short so it's only been in the last 6 months or so that he's finally able to reach the pedals on most toddler trikes, except the Little Tikes one above that he's been pedaling on his own for a year or so now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, but I would suggest finding one he can try out in the store to make sure he can reach & manage it. By 3yo, it seems like most kids can reach the pedals, although many of DS's same-age friends just aren't able to pedal themselves yet on ANY trike, so test it out.

DS also just got a balance bike (cheap version my friend made by taking the pedals off a yard-sale toddler bike) and he loves that. LOVES it. However, he can't make it very far (maybe half a mile) before getting tired so it's really better for the driveway/park or short walks at this point. It's nice having a few options (we have a scooter too that I found on the side of the road).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post

We had this for my son, the ride on classic tiny trike. He loved it and was very adept with it and could go very fast. This design is nice as the back is slim, so the heels do not bump the back wheels. My 2.2 daughter likes to use it too, but she doesnt scoot around much.

http://www.radioflyer.com/ride-ons/classic-tiny-trike.html

We picked up this trike at a yard sale last year. It was too big for her last year and now she can almost reach the peddles, but not quite enough to peddle (she is petite). But its a good size for her, and it has a trunk so she can put her treasures in it. It is a smallish trike met for 1-3 year olds

http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/fold-2-go-trike-1.html

My almost 29 month old has the same trike in pink and she was able to ride on her own this week all the way down the block to the park, wasn't interested in riding it back but it's a start.  She got it for her second birthday and has been riding it indoors and out off and on since then.  Learning at her own pace.  

She also has a thrifted big wheels that has a parent handle (great when they are learning to steer) and an older also thrifted version of the Tiny Trike that she mostly rode indoors to get the hang of ride on toys.   I think if you're able to have more than one type it helps to give little ones options and they can build different skills and get some exercise too. 

I would definitely recommend the Fold 2 Go trike for the smaller kids to learn on. Both our big wheels and the fold 2 go trike have adjustable seats that can scoot up to get her closer to the pedals.  One other thing about the fold 2 go is that she did tip/fall over sideways a few times while riding this last time but I think it has to do with her not being able to turn or steer well enough.  She did great falling and caught herself and of course was wearing helmet so no harm done.bikenew.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post
s

http://www.skuut.com/

A balance bike is a bike with no pedals that the kid can scoot along on with their feet on the ground. They have to balance (rather than having training wheels), but this is easier because they can just put their feet down.

One can make one by getting a bicycle that's the right size, then, instead of adding training wheels, just removing the pedal crank. (and then when they're ready for pedals, it can be added back)

I really like the idea of DIY balance bike that can grow with her. Hope I can remember when lo is ready for a bigger bike. 

#11 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 AM

I'd go with a balance bike!  We got Ds a Norco balance bike for his 2nd birthday.  Within a month or so he could really ride.  He's 3 now & just finally got the hang of pedaling a trike.  A balance bike will save you from having to push & is less frustrating for the child.  The Norco was nice cause it adjusts very small

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page