Ibuprofen for molars...how many days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 21 month old has two molars coming in at the same time. I've been giving him ibuprofen once at night when he goes to bed for about 4 nights. How many days in a row can I do this because he still seems to be in pain and is having trouble sleeping? I only give him 1.875 mL at bedtime, none during the day. Thoughts?

SAHM to DS stillheart.gif 7/1/2010, So excited for #2 due at the end of February!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Have you tried these http://camiliateething.com/.  It works wonders for us. 

Molars are killing us over here too.  I just recently gave my little one Ibuprofen for 3 days and I cringed every time because I hate giving it to her but she was in awful pain and it helped her settle down.  I don't give it to her unless she can't settle with all other methods first...not sure how many days is "safe" though... 

hoping those molars "cut" through soon!

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM

I think a few days in a row is fine, we gave it to DS at least 4 nights in a row if not longer!  He had 3 molars come in within a week of each other and is now working on #4.  They are so painful for him at night.  Its not like you're giving it too him all day every several hours, his system has plenty of time to process it out between doses.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#4 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM

We had HELL with molars. I gave Motrin at night for weeks. DS had 3 molars coming in at once, and it took at least 2 months.
#5 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Mine might not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I don't see the big deal in giving ib profin or tylonol.  I mean, no you don't want to give it round the clock, and you don't want to give it for weeks and weeks, but honestly, if they're in pain and can't sleep I see no harm.

We also tend to gravitate towards distraction during the day and giving DD a dose for bedtime, but sometimes when it's been really bad, or coupled with being sick, I've given it to her every night for 2+ weeks.  However, I recently found out that we weren't giving her enough.  We were also using the 1.875 dosage, but because her weight (24 lbs) right on the cusp, the pediatrician said it was fine to go to the higher dosage and use it for ages 2-11 instead of using the infant type.  I saw a dramatic difference once switching and therefor didn't need to use as often. good luck!

#6 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyedmama View Post

Mine might not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I don't see the big deal in giving ib profin or tylonol.  I mean, no you don't want to give it round the clock, and you don't want to give it for weeks and weeks, but honestly, if they're in pain and can't sleep I see no harm.

This.  We alternate back and forth between the two.  I can't imagine having a bad headache or toothache and not being able to subdue the pain.

#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 AM

I, too, have found that we given Motrin for 2+ weeks for bad teething.  Just about the time I starting thinking we have been giving it for too long it stops.  Upping to the appropriate dose for DS's weight was also significant in this house. 

Sorry your LO is feeling bad.  It's hard to really know when they are this young.

#8 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't feel guilty, we had all 4 premolars at once and all together it took about 3 months!  we didn't have to give him something every night, but did several times a week.  Sleep (for everyone) is important!

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page