Early teeth and molars, is this normal?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is just now turning 15 months. After another brutal two weeks of teething, she has four molars. She got her first tooth at about 4 months... they came in steady sequence after that and she had 8 teeth by 9 months. So she now has at least 12 teeth (it may possibly be more? She is sleeping so I'm not going to go wake her to check!). They bother her relatively often, she will chew on her finger or ask for a toothbrush and chew on that. I know how she feels.. I have gotten 3 of my wisdom teeth since she was born! 

In comparison, my DS was 11 months when he broke his very first tooth. And he was nearly 2 before he was getting molars. I know DS was perhaps a little late with his teeth, but it seems DD is VERY early. 

Is there something in particular .. hormonal, diet, ? etc? that causes teeth to come in.. or come in so rapidly?

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#2 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 AM

I don't know the causes but though it's early, it's normal (I was told). DD2 here got her first 2 teeth at 4 months and on a similar schedule to you, had her first set of molars in by just after a year. And almost always they came in 2 or 3 at a time (ACK!!). She is 21 months now with 3 of the "2 year" molars done. DD1 was way later, so it freaked me out! Hang in there! I am excited for her pain to be almost done!

#3 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM

4 at the time here...and DS had 4 teeth at 4 months, 8 at 8, 12 at 12 and his molars came in around 16 months and the last four all came in by his second birthday.  

My brother apparently had a similar pattern.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

My dd got her first two at 5 months and had 8 teeth by 10 months and is a year (two days ago!) and has two molars in and two half way in!  It's normal for my kids...my other two were early teethers as well. 

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#5 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

I'm starting to wonder the same thing about teething in my LO. He cut his first teeth at 4mo, and he now has six total - four front top, two bottom front middle...but nothing else, and he's 14 months. I've poked and prodded and flipped him all up and down to look in his mouth, but there's no bumps, redness, pale moons, crests, nothing. He isn't drooling, ear pulling, gnawing on super-solid things...I'm beginning to wonder if I have the world's first six-toothed child! nut.gif Hopefully it's normal...and hopefully it doesn't mean he gets ten teeth in at once. I would cry...and so would he.

Everything's perfect...
#6 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM

We've been suffering the same here this week, though my DS isn't yet 14 months!  This week a cluster of molars AND canines on both sides came, he now has over 12, (the dr. and I couldn't count fast enough), PLUS he was suffering some sort of viral flu, so he hasn't eaten in the past few days due to all the mucous build-up and discomfort.  Thankfully he's still drinking milk, but he was so constipated today for the first time!  

The scary part was that he woke in the beginning of the week to blood all over his sheets after a night of coughing.  I panicked, called the dr's office thinking he had pneumonia, but they assured me it was just a blister that popped before one of his molars came through.  Apparently it happens sometimes, along with the drool, red cheeks, fever, etc.  

Poor little guy, though I think the worst is over and our bond is stronger after his horrendous week.  Now I need a vacay (and I'm sure he wouldn't mind one, too!) :)

I guess it's a good thing if the whole teething thing is behind us in some ways, though I wonder whether older toddlers can cope better with the pain than the young ones.  At least one could communicate to them about what's going on and assure them that they are growing up with teeth! 
#7 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM

I have 16 month twins and they are a great example of the wide variety of teething.

though both got their first tooth within a week of each other at exactly 6 months (5months adjusted) ,

my boy proceeded to have 2 by the end of the next day and 8 by 9 months and is now working on at least 3 molars with one fully in and the others breaking thru fast. His teeth move very fast once they start.

My girls teeths move sloooowly, her 2nd took literally a month to fully come in, and she still at 16 months only has the bottom 2 and the top 4, the last of which she got just a few months ago.

It funny because she does everything way before him besides the teeth and hair, walking a full 2 months before him (he just walked at 15.5 months) we all joke that she is too busy to grow teeth or hair and he is too busy growing them to do anything else!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Phew - ~Adorkable~, you made me feel a lot better. I felt dumb potentially bringing it up at my next doctor visit, because it's not like it's a life or death situation...but I can tell my little Munchkin would be happier if he could chew his broccoli!

Everything's perfect...
#9 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 AM

My 15 month old DS is working on his 4th molar right now for a total of 12 teeth in his mouth!  DD was much slower at getting teeth than DS so its certainly true that every child is different.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#10 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My first two had teeth at 3 months.  Nothing terrible with it. In talking with our DDS. he said it's nothing unusual (as with most things, people develop at different times).  He did warn us that they will most likely lose them earlier as well and that has been true for #1.  He lost his first two teeth (first two he got as well) at 4 years and 8 months.  He's down 2 more now at almost 5 1/2.    So just be ready with the Tooth Pillows a bit earlier for these early teeth getter ;) 

#11 of 16 Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Ugh my poor little boy, he now has all of his bicuspids? Coming in in top of the last 3 of his first set of molars that he has been getting over the last few weeks. No babe should even have to deal with so many teeth at once. 7 are you kidding me? He has fallen to pieces over it.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#12 of 16 Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter is 20 month and has all her teeth except the 2nd molars. Her molars came in pretty darn early, started at 14 months if I remember correctly.

#13 of 16 Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM

my daughter had this happen and I was told it is normal....not sure why.  with twins I am lucky to get through my day without crashing and burning - two toddlers run in opposite directions.  I guess I SHOULD know why... but at least I know I was told not to worry at all...

#14 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM

My daughter got her four molars in (all at the same time) by the time she was 15 months.  her first 8 teeth weren't bad but these molars have been awful!  She was whiny and had fevers.  It took a while for them to come in too.  We are just glad we had our burpee rag for the first 8.  She's not a paci girl, but boy does she love her burpees!

#15 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 AM

I don't think your DD is exceptionally early, but she's not also late.  I read somewhere that the 1 year molars usually make their appearance beginning around 13 months.

In our case, my DD got both of her first teeth (bottom incisors) at 5 months.  The left one poked through one day, and the right tooth the very next day.  Over the next few months, her other teeth began to show up but it was slower.  At a year, she had 8 teeth and holding.  Actually, she's been teething non-stop since tooth number 7 arrived in February!

She's now 15 months old and we have a total of 15 teeth.  Since she turned a year old, four molars and three canines have come through (in three months, and if you add the last two incisors in there, we've had 9 teeth in 4 months!).  We're working on the last canine right now and I expect it to show up any day.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#16 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM

15 month old DD is pretty similar. Early compared to a lot of kids but not overly so. Her first two teeth popped in at 4 and 4.5 months. Then she worked her way up to the 8 front teeth. She's been teething up a storm and in the last two weeks got two molars and two canines all on the bottom. I think there may be even more going on but it's so hard to get a good look at the top lol.

Gumshoegirl, I have a March '11 baby too (saw your siggy). Depending on where in Ontario you are, we could try getting them together on a playdate lol. Pm me if you're interested, no worries if not :-)

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page