Argh--the whining!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else have a super whiney (sp?) toddler? My son is pretty verbal and has a good vocabulary for his age (24 months) but it seems like he whines constantly! Whenever he's frustrated, uncomfortable, upset, tired, hungry, or just wants my attention, he turns into a whine monster. I know it's pretty normal and just his way of expressing himself at this stage and getting his needs met, but oh my god does it drive me crazy! I've tried ignoring it in hopes that the negative reinforcement would discourage the whining, but no luck. Inevitably it gets to my nerves and I end up responding---often less pleasantly than I'd like. 

Any tips on dealing with the whining more productively?

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#2 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 AM

My youngest is the same age and I totally hear you! My first went through this phase, and we tried all of the tricks:
  • Empathizing, i.e., "Yes, you're sad we can't play more", etc.
  • Encouraging her to use her words
  • validating her feelings and then giving her space to work through them (or walking away to avoid going nuts)! wink1.gif
She got over it and I thought I was such an awesome mom. biglaugh.gif

Now my youngest has a totally different personality, and let's just say that she has impressive staying power. wink1.gif I'm using all the same tricks and they're not working at all, but I keep trying! Maybe we can commiserate here to stay sane!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ds doesn't whine too too much but he does sometimes- and sometimes I let it be, he is free to express his feelings- I know I whine sometimes too! but other times when it is too much and I know he is ok and he is just going on and on I can say," ds, stop whining.'" I think with gentle discpiline sometimes parents forget that we can sometimes TELL our kids to act in a certain way. It is not that they always listen but at least we can tell them what our behavioral expectations are for them. Just the same as sometimes saying no. Sometimes it surprises me and actually works! If I say, ds, stop whining- in a firm voice- sometimes he will shy.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 AM

This doesn't work as well now as it did when my ds was a bit younger, but I would say, "DS, I cannot understand you when you use that voice. Can you please use your sweet voice?"

Then, I would do my best to ignore the whines, and pay tons of positive attention to the sweet voice when it came back.

#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Great tips--thanks for sharing! When I'm feeling centered and patient, I do ask my son to use more words and try to empathize with him, and just generally tune in to his needs (he usually just wants attention.) But when I'm feeling overwhelmed or needing to concentrate on something, the whining drives me up the wall and it's hard for me to respond in a constructive way. I will definitely try telling my DS to stop whining, as you suggested Snapdragon. In general, he's just a pretty high needs kiddo, and the whining is an expression of his desire for constant attention and engagement. But I want to help him learn how to express his needs in a way that people will want to respond---and not want to pull their hair out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Maybe we can commiserate here to stay sane!

Yes please!!!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

This doesn't work as well now as it did when my ds was a bit younger, but I would say, "DS, I cannot understand you when you use that voice. Can you please use your sweet voice?"

I do this, and so far it works pretty well. DS is 23 months, and doesn't whine that much. But when he does I say "I can't understand you, please say it clearly", and sometimes I model the clear sentence, and he usually repeats it in a normal voice.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page