Chew-resistant art supplies for 14-month-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 14 months old and LOVES drawing when she gets her sneaky little hands on one of my pens and a piece of paper. Unfortunately, she's also a fan of drawing on herself occasionally and enjoys munching on crayons.

Are there some kind of crayons that are in a plastic tube or something so they can't eat past the tip? What about those Crayola Color Wonder markers that only draw on special paper - anyone have any thoughts on those? I hear they're pretty good in doing what they say, but I'm wondering about how bad it might be if she were to eat the tips. I know they say non-toxic but to me that's like saying, "Well, it won't kill you..." lol.gif

Thoughts? Ideas?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Colored pencils? They can still chew but it's unlikely they will actually CONSUME anything. FWIW, we did the color wonder things a bit with my first daughter, and I LOVED that they didn't make a mess all over (except for the finger paint... ugh, avoid that stuff at all costs!) DD2 was my chewer, though, and she managed to pull the point out of the marker, and that's an awesome choking hazard. eyesroll.gif I wonder if this might work better?
http://www.crayola.com/browse-products/my-first-crayola-maker-and-paper.aspx

Here are those plastic crayons like you were talking about:
http://www.crayola.com/browse-products/8-ct-crayola-twistable-crayons.aspx

Just a warning, when they throw them around and the crayon breaks inside, the crayon stick comes out and is apparently pretty tasty. *sigh*

We liked those water-based arts, like the aquadoodle or those coloring books where you just use water to bring out the color on the page.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 4 Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went the colored pencil route.
I got some thick short kid size ones. Overall my youngest likes them, but still prefers pens. I'm actually washing my sheets that for some reason has pen marks all over.

I tired the twist up crayons with my oldest, they don't melt like the ones wrapped in pencil, after a bad car mess.
I also got the erasable colored pencils, but my oldest doesn't like how they draw.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 4 Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently came across these edible art supplies but haven't completely researched it or made up my mind about it

Worth a look http://www.weecantooart.com/

They claim to make coloring stuff with veg dyes and edible stuff so li'l ones can eat them if they wish.. but am not sure about the preservatives and stuff... 

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page