My 2-year-old son yells and I don't know how to correct him!!!!!! Help!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 2 And he has figured out that when he does not get his way, he yells and yells Nd yells some more!!! I have tried time outs, I have tried ignoring the yelling, I have tried listening and talking to him, but nothing's is working and I just want to cry. I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have had a rough week with major discomfort and his yelling is just wearing me out even more. I am stuck and don't know what to do. Any other moms experiencing the same thing or any moms have ideas that work? greensad.gif

I have a 2-year-old son and expecting a girl August 9th!!!  sleepytime.gif  stillheart.gif

#2 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

greensad.gif

I have a 2-year-old son and expecting a girl August 9th!!!  sleepytime.gif  stillheart.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM

totally not helpful but how about 

'it's normal'

&

'this too shall pass' 

?

I'm not sure there IS anything you can do that you aren't doing. he's just exploring what happens when he SAYS EVERYTHING REALLY LOUD!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How good is is speech at this point? I think that kids whose speech isn't that strong sometimes yell because they don't feel as heard. If that sounds like the cause, you might try helping him with words. Like say, "I know you feel angry (or whatever) right now, but the loud yelling is hurting my ears." But naming emotions can help kids, like if they can say "I'm angry!" they don't always feel the need to yell as much as when they can't describe how they're feeling. Reading books can be a good distraction and can help with language skills so maybe if he starts yelling you could try to read a book.

Now if he's just yelling to make noise, you might find a noisemaker that isn't as horrible that he can use. We got one kid some bongo drums. They aren't too loud but they give an outlet for wanting to be noisy. And then redirect. "The yelling hurts my ears, but you can make noise with the bongo drums instead of yelling."

But anyway at this age redirection is the biggest way to change things. Trying to just get a 2-year-old to stop something is futile.
#5 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My 25 month old is not really a yeller, but when she's upset about not getting her way it helps for me to repeat over and over again what it was that she wanted.  Similar to the "toddlerese" thing in Happiest Toddler on the Block, but I don't usually use an excited tone or anything because then she thinks I'm angry at her.  Like, if we have to leave the park and she's crying about it, I say "Bea doesn't want to leave!  Bea wants to stay at the playground!  Bea's sad because we had to leave the playground and she wanted to stay."  I do NOT ever get to a point where I say "but we have to leave."  That just opens the wound all over again. 

#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM

I have a yeller!!! wave.gif

Actually, I have two. My three year old who yells words, and my 19m old who yells sounds. Lol. 

Truthfully, I am just hoping it passes. It mostly happens at home, esp with my 3yr old, and for that I have learned to say either, "You are hurting my ears. I am going to XYZ until you stop yelling." (Go to the bathroom, lay down and cover my ears, go outside. Going outside works the best for us.) or "If you need to yell, yell in your room." DS1 will stay in his room because I told him to, DS2 will stay in the room only because he is yelling so loud, he literally can't concentrate enough to walk. 

When it happens out and about, we just leave where ever we are, with my happily saying, "You wanted to XYZ, but we are going to ABC..." and newmamalizzy is right, whenever I mention the thing we ARE going to do, the yelling does get worse, but I like to make my point to them winky.gif

Can you buy earmuffs/covers? 2whistle.gif

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

onyxravnos thank you so much for your response, it helps more than you know happytears.gif

mamazee thank you so much for your advice too!!!

#8 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

newmamalizzy I am definitely going to try what you said that you do!!! thank you!

cherrybombmama that is so cute, EARMUFFS ;) love it.

I am so thankful that I have this post to ask these questions and get all sorts of advice and such.  It is hard because I have a mother who tells me that I am not being strict enough....Well, I feel as though I am and I am not being overboard.  My mother was overboard as I was growing up and I swore I would never be like that.  SO, it is so good to hear that these things are normal and that they will pass, or that the methods you all give me are things that I can try!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Can you try making it a game?  Teaching "quiet" and "loud"?  My DS has discovered SCREAMING in a high pitched, screeching toddler kind of way...Saying "wow, that was loud!  Now can you show mamma quiet?" and modeling the quiet by whispering the word has actually worked for me.  Mind you, he might scream again 2 or 5 or 15 minutes later, but it seems to deal with it without having to "discipline" at least for the moment.  I try to remember he's just exploring sound and his voice and that that is developmentally appropriate but at the same time I don't enjoy the screeching!!

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page