Fouls language from grandparents....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I am not the type of person to tell people what to do or what to say. We are all grown ups and act the way and talk the way we want to, which is fine with me, but I am stuck in a position now that I am not quite sure how to handle, my two year old sons grandfather cusses like a drunken sailor and throws the Fbomb sooooo much. I have asked my husband to speak to his father and Ask him to not use bad words around our son because he is repeating everything....well, then my FIL starts making fun of the request and just goes on and on and on about it! I got really upset and I just kept my mouth shut As it would have done no good for me to say a word. He has always talked that way, but I feel he has no respect for my or my husbands wishes to not used bad words at all around our child. I do not know what to do. Do I threaten to not go around until he takes it seriously, do I just tolerate it? I am just stuck Nd do not know how to handle this.

I have a 2-year-old son and expecting a girl August 9th!!!  sleepytime.gif  stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 AM

The grandfather's behavior sounds highly disrespectful and toxic. If he can't keep his language PG with or without your request around a kid you are WELL within your right to keep him away or avoid him. No confrontation needed ... he's already been asked and it sounds like he didn't respect it. Spend your time with someone else ... familial ties be damned.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 AM

lurk.gif

I'm keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions also... My DS's grandfather uses foul language all the time. Unfortunate thing is...we LIVE with him. So we hear it every single day. He knows it bothers me but still doesn't respect my request. So... I know what you are going through and am also at a loss at what to do.  

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 PM

I would stop having visits if he can't keep it clean.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I personally would let the swearing go and teach my kid that grampa can say those words by my children can't. 

The disrespect though, that's a much bigger problem and I would explain to grampa that I was staying away, with my children until he learns to respect my choices for my kids.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM

My MIL also drops the f bomb every other word, I just decided it would be a good lesson for DD about how there are all kinds of people in the world! But if it bothers you enough that you asked your FIL to stop and he was so rude and disrespectful about it, that is a whole different can of worms! I would have your husband (it's his dad, so his job to do it) talk to his dad again, and if things don't get better limit contact for a while, either until your FIL gets over himself of your your son is old enough that he can understand better what is going on and not be as influenced by the swearing.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Cuss jar.  Have one labeled and decorated in your house. When FIL or MIL comes over, tell them to fork over a nickel or quarter each time.  When asked, say you all are saving up for (insert great place to take dc).  Even if they don't actually put the coin in, it makes the point. Many people don't actually realize how bad it sounds or how often they do it and how often they do it around kids.

User Tag List