Is a 1 year old too young for a sand/water table? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO is turning 1 next month and I've been wanting to get her a sand and water table as her 1st birthday present. I looked online at table and it lists for 2 year olds and up. Has anyone out there gotten this gift for their 1 year olds? I could see her not being ready for the sand side - maybe she would try to eat it? I was thinking I would start with the water side. If anyone has any experience with these tables, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! 

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM

I do home daycare. I think a 12 mo would love a sand and water table, although she will likely enjoy it more toward the middle to end of summer.  I have a 13 mo in my care and she loves BOTH sides of the table. She can't even stand on her own yet, but she leans against it and pours and throws to her heart's content.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 PM

I agree with Alphaghetti--I think 1 is a perfect time for a sand/water table. My son was really into ours at around that age--and now, at 2, he's pretty much over it and into larger spaces, like the kiddie pool and sandbox. I wouldn't worry too much about your little one eating the sand. She may try it once or twice but will quickly realize it's not that tasty. Great bday present idea!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh good! I'm so glad to hear it.  I was really looking forward to getting the sand/water table and was nervous when I saw the age suggestions.  Thanks for your opinions! :)  

#5 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Young toddlers can drown crazy easily - with almost just a mouthful of water even- so it's probablly more about limiting liability than about who would be interested in it. If you're right there, I'm sure it's fine. Kids that age LOVE playing with water and it's great fun on a hot day.
#6 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM

My son loved his water table at about 15 months old or so.  He wasn't really interested in the sand part but he loved to scoop and pour the water.  I found some measuring cups and a toy boat at the dollar spot at target and he played with them all summer.  If I had it to do over again I would get one that is just a water table.

#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM

I am sure it depends on the 1 year old but my son has been playing with big brother in theirs since he was about 8 months. 

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM

We got one for DS's 1st birthday last year and it was his most played with toy from the day he got it untill the wnd of summer, cant wait to fill it up again soon and see how he playes with it this year!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page