April 2011 DDC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We have toddlers!!!!  joy.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#2 of 81 Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't believe it! So who's got walkers? Abby's not walking yet. She can stand on her own for a second (until she realizes it's happening and gets freaked out!) and is getting really good at walking while holding hands. She does cruise like crazy and climbs like a monkey. As mobile as she is now, I'm nervous about when she walks!

She's talking up a storm now. Just about any word we stay pointedly to her, she'll try to repeat. Like if we say, "Abby, can you say Tay-lor?" She'll say, "Day-da?" And Taylor gets all excited, dancing around and yelling that she said his name. It's so stinking cute!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 81 Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mandy, that's soooo cute! wow, she's doing good with talking!! Silas says quite a few words: mama, miw (milk), ca-cah(cracker), pa (diaper), ba (ball), boh (book), beh (bear), te-th (teeth)... and lots more that are less understandable but in context I feel like I can guess. he DOES NOT repeat, tho. lol Silas started walking about a week or so after standing on his own like you describe Abby doing. it won't be long!!

so, how's nursing/solids going for everyone?

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#4 of 81 Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Hi Everyone!

Abbey still hasn't doubled her birth weight (9lbs). She only weighs 16.8lbs, not even on the chart but for height she is 50% and she looks healthy. She takes about 5-7 steps at a time and then sits down. Talking, talking, talking  all the time. Abbey is completely weaned. I have to travel for work and it's just too hard to keep up the nursing. I am gone for up to a week at a time so she just isn't interested anymore.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#5 of 81 Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, it sounds like everyone is doing really well!

Wyatt is walking, running, and climbing some. He likes to scramble up on to the couch, which can be scary for me because he likes to do it when I'm cooking. He's able to climb up stairs, but is unable to get down them on his own.

He's also talking quite a bit and knows some really weird words like clock, sun, and squirrel. I love when he talks! I have only heard him string together words a few times, but his vocabulary is large enough that I think sentences will come shortly.

He is obsessed with bugs, especially butterflies, so we have books, puzzles, and stuffed bugs everywhere. He is also learning to recognize letters and seems to understand that they form words.

Nursing is still going well for us, but Wyatt seems way less interested. I feel like he's down to around 3 times during the day, plus as he falls asleep for naps. He nurses maybe 3 times during the night, too. Solids are going well, he eats basically everything that we eat. His current favorite is yogurt.

This is on Mother's day. We had a picnic at a local park and Wyatt had a great time running around in a huge field.

Wyatt 1st Bday 125.JPG

This is when Wyatt saw a tiger at the zoo!

Wyatt 1st Bday 094.JPG

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#6 of 81 Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Hi, everybody. I'm back on MDC a bit...now that the toddler stage has begun! Happy to see this thread. I'm going to attache some pictures too but have a quick question. What's going on with your LOs with naps. We need major nap help!

DSC_0071.JPG

LL is walking - she started taking steps a few months ago and was the slowest first steps-true walker. It was funny how different she took to it from my first. LL doesn't really talk yet. She over uses a few words like "Aya" (the name of her sister), which she uses for all children. She also makes some sounds for animals but no real talking. She got a jump start on separation anxiety when I took her to a crazy music festival a couple of weeks ago. Sigh. I think I broker her. J/K. 

LL still nurses all.the.time. I need to be better about solids. Do you all feed solids on a good schedule? We're a family of grazers so there's no good schedule for LL. I'm usually so hungry by the time I get some food for myself that it's hard for me to take good time and attention to feed LL. Not good. I'd love to hear what's been working well for you. LL's still night nursing all night long...just like her big sister did. I'm a disaster at night weaning though I'd love to nurse a little less at night. 

We started vaccinating with Dtap at 1 year, have been sicker this 1st year of LLs life than ever before. Poor thing has had like 5 colds already. Life with a school age kids and neighbors, I guess. LL is around 18 lbs so I guess she doubled her birth weight not too long ago (she was 8.3). Her sister was a peanut so I'm not one to worry about weight. What else...oh! LL needed stitches after a fall. It was the worst thing ever. Poor thing wasn't even born in the hospital so I was all wigged out. I think I was in shock. It was really bad. But, I'm glad we got the stitches. The scar is pretty bad and I would have doubted myself forever if we hadn't. 

It's nice to reconnect!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 81 Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM

It's been months since I've seen this thread and we can't let it die! How is everybody? We had an exciting day today - Abby started walking! She's taken a step or two between furniture before, but today she was off and running like crazy!

Here she is, running after a snack. This kid was dangerous enough when she crawled - we're really in trouble now. :-D

How has everyone been?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#8 of 81 Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM

Minkajane- How much does Abby weigh now? In the picture she looks really good.

My Abbey started walking at almost 13 months. She has mastered the stairs now so we took the baby gates down. She is all over the place!

I finished my master of science degree this summer and have been traveling a bit for work.

How's everyone else?

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#9 of 81 Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM

I don't know exactly how much she weighs now. I haven't weighed her since her one-year checkup, but she's wearing 9 months now, sometimes even 12. Definitely chunking up. Yay!

#10 of 81 Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to pop in and say hello! How is everyone doing?

Wyatt is changing so much that I feel like he's a new person every week! He's picking up words quickly and seems to be having fun experimenting with 2 and 3 word sentences. I've been having a lot of fun reading longer books with him since he can appreciate stories now instead of simple books.

I'm noticing lots of signs that Wyatt is growing in to the helpful stage, trying to sweep with my broom, watching me do laundry, trying to help me load the dishwasher, etc. It's really nice! I found a little broom for him and he'll sweep crumbs around the kitchen for about half an hour before getting bored!

Wyatt dropped to one nap a day at around 13 months, which is really hard for me, but at the same time it allows us to do more interesting things during the day.

#11 of 81 Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Hey, everybody!! 

We're doing well. LL is so funny and cute at this age. If only she would sleep for a few hours at night. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 81 Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Glad you're doing well!

We're having a bit of trouble too with night time sleeping... I think Wyatt *might* be working on his 2 year molars.

What have people been doing to fill the days?  We do a lot of reading, coloring, play with cars, and go for walks on nice days... Help, I need some more exciting ideas!

#13 of 81 Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM

Abbey loves to help around the house too! I can count on her to put everything (and I mean everything) in the trash can LOL

We are always so busy with our older children, going to fall festivals, soccer games and other events that we don't have any problem filling up Abbey's day. I wish I had some suggestions for you.

She is also down to one nap and she still co-sleeps at night. We are trick or treating tonight so that should be cold and fun.

I am glad that this thread is still around :)

#14 of 81 Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Let's see those Halloween costumes! Abby dressed up as a spider, but I don't know how well the pictures turned out. She was so overwhelmed and confused by the whole process that it was tough to get her to sit still and take the picture.

#15 of 81 Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 AM

My Abbey was a pumpkin. She is my 5th child to wear that costume. Since she has older brothers and sisters she had no problem figuring out exactly what to do. She said trick treat, instead of trick or treat, and she said thank you after getting to pick out candy and put it in her bag. She also wanted to walk for a good bit of the way even though we had the stroller with us. My big kids ended up with 4 pounds of candy each!

#16 of 81 Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Those costumes sound cute!

We didn't end up going out for Halloween, as we're sick right now. Next year, I guess.

#17 of 81 Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM

I wish I had some of the trick or treating on video. She started to figure out what we were doing after a couple of houses and toddled up and held out her little pumpkin and said, "Ti-teet!" (trick or treat) and then "na-noo!" (thank you).

How many of your kids have their own little language? She speaks very well and can say things just fine when prompted, but she's come up with her own little words for things, like na-noo. "Eshoo" is both "I love you" and "I'm sorry." She also tends to end most of her words with a T or an S for some random reason. Like she calls herself "Abbeet" or "Abbees."

#18 of 81 Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 AM

My Abbey says "bwa" and does the more sign in sign language when she wants more of something. She calls her brother (Josh) a name that I can't even figure out how to spell :) Most of the other things she says are pretty clear. Hailey (her sis) sounds a bit like Hayee, no L.

#19 of 81 Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM

HI Everyone! Glad to see this thread revived. We're good here--E is saying lots of words, though not that many that are readily understandable. She's very into animals--birds, dogs, cats, tigers ("dider"), bunnies, ducks, and most of all, "fish." She finally took steps around 15.5 months, but didn't start regularly walking everywhere for another few weeks. Now I haven't seen her crawl in ages.

The only bad thing going on right now is what I think is the 18-month sleep regression. After months of reliable sleeping through the night (with a few blips), for the past couple of weeks she's been crying when we put her down and waking up 1-3 times a night. It's been especially bad this past week, and I think she's gotten back into the habit of wanting to be nursed every time she wakes up. Hopefully it'll pass soon...

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#20 of 81 Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM

My MIL got a good pic of the kids right before they went trick-or-treating so we got at least one this year.

You can tell by DD's face that she's not sure what's going on. She had a blast though!

We started having some trouble with sleep a couple of months ago, so we decided to see how she'd do with her own bed. It really helped a lot. We made a big deal out of her Big Girl Bed and got her nice and conked out before we laid her in it. She slept through the night that first night! It took a couple of weeks before she'd wake up without freaking out that she was somewhere unfamiliar and she still comes in with us when she doesn't feel good, but in general moving her to her own bed has ended the all-night marathon nursings and the multiple wakings every night.

#21 of 81 Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the input! We have thought about switching her to a toddler or twin bed--she's in a mini crib and has almost outgrown it. It would be soo nice to lie down next to her for bed, and then go back to our own bed when she was asleep...but she moves around so much in her sleep, it's hard for me to imagine her NOT climbing or falling out of a bigger bed. Something to think about, though.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#22 of 81 Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Minkajane, I love Abby's spider costume! So cute!   Wyatt only has a few made up words, but he likes to use them frequently. His favorite is pah for animal.

So neat that everyone is talking! How many words do you think your LOs know?  I'm always surprised when I look at milestone charts and see that it's normal to know just a few.

#23 of 81 Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad this thread is revived.Yes, that spider costume is super cute! E was Prince Valiant, mostly because I cut her bangs really short by accident and so now she has a little medieval boy haircut. I just painted a pillowcase smock and made her a cardboard sword.

I am so relieved to report that the sleep craziness of the last few weeks seems to be passing. She celebrated election night by sleeping through, and then the last two nights have been good as well. Every time sleep gets messed up I freak out and worry I'll never be rested again, but then she always goes back to more peaceful nights.

She has tons of words, but we don't understand a lot of them. She is obsessed with shoes ("shuss") and socks ("cock") and her jacket, which she associates with going on walks--she goes up to the door and points outside and says "dacket! dacket!" and carries it around like a lovey. She is just starting to put two words together on a regular basis. "Bye bye Daddy!" and "More please" are some recent ones. Her daycare provider says that yesterday she said "Eliza's shoes" ("Yiza shuss"). Exciting times.

What games/activities are your babies into lately? Eliza really likes coloring. We have a giant pad of paper that she can lie down on and color. It's funny--she's very territorial. If I start drawing something, she pushes me away and says "no no" and starts coloring ON my drawing.

Anyone seeing signs of handedness? I know it's supposed to be early, but my husband and I--both lefties--are somewhat dismayed to realize Eliza is showing a very strong inclination toward right dominance. She eats and draws exclusively with her right hand.

I forget which baby is into "helping play"--was that Wyatt? But Eliza is starting to be into that, too. She really likes imitating grownup behavior. She will often only eat with a fork or spoon, no longer with her hands, and likes putting toys away.

Exciting times.

#24 of 81 Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Anyone seeing signs of handedness? I know it's supposed to be early, but my husband and I--both lefties--are somewhat dismayed to realize Eliza is showing a very strong inclination toward right dominance. She eats and draws exclusively with her right hand.

Now don't go hating on righties smile.gif My husband is a leftie, I am a rightie. Abbey is a rightie but my 5 year old is a leftie. I could always tell my children's handness really early. Abbey loves to write and she asks for a pen and paper all the time. She also loves books.

Is anybody doing anything with a potty? We have one in the bathroom and Abbey uses it for both pee and poo but it's not consistent. Some days she uses it all day and some days not at all. We aren't really training, we just have it out as an option at this point.

We still cosleep but she is completely weaned from the breast. I would like to get her into her own bed but she snuggles all night so I wonder if she would wake up more frequently if she were alone.

I am playing around with the idea of TTC come Abbey second birthday. Anyone else?

#25 of 81 Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM

No TTC here for another year or so. It took a LOOOOTTTT of fertility treatments to get Abby and I don't know if I can handle doing it again, physically or emotionally. Plus Abby's still on the boob so who knows if it would do any good anyway.

I'm pretty sure she's right handed. She colors with her right hand and most of the time uses her right for silverware. Today she was scooping mashed potatoes with her left so who knows.

#26 of 81 Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM

We are just starting to think about potty stuff--she has only recently begun showing a little more awareness--when she poops she looks confused and pulls at her diaper, she likes flushing the toilet, and this morning she was naked and peed on the floor and looked confused--I said "you went pee pee" and she said "pee pee" and then kept looking at it and saying "water"--it was super cute. As only a parent would think it was, I'm sure! So my tactic is to talk to her more about what's happening when I change her diaper, let her come into the bathroom with me, etc.--just laying the groundwork.

We are thinking about TTC early next year. I'm trying to figure out some job stuff first. But lately I have been starting to feel that "I WANT A BABY NOW!" urge that I remember taking over when we decided to TTC Eliza. At the same time, the idea of doing it all over again, from pregnancy to having a newborn, is overwhelming. I like the toddler phase so much more than younger infancy.

#27 of 81 Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Whew, we've had some tough times here lately. Wyatt seems to be "spirited" or "high needs".... DH is almost done with school and is gone about 6 days a week for 12+ hours. I get a bit exhausted and grouchy. Oh well, life will be so much better in a few months when school stuff is done.

Wyatt is also interested in coloring, both his own creations and coloring pictures or in coloring books. We have also had some festive wall decorations added recently... duh.gif 

He's still interested in helping in the kitchen with sweeping. I've also shown him how to use a paper towel to clean up messes, and he's good at picking things up and throwing them away!

I think Wyatt is right handed, but he still uses his left hand sometimes for eating and coloring.

We are still cosleeping and nursing throughout the night (and day). I have plans to nightwean over winter break, though. Are your LOs drinking cow's milk/other yet? Wyatt spits it out every time we give it to him.

No real potty stuff going on here. Wyatt talks about peepee and likes to go in the bathroom with DH and I, but has been resistant to using his little potty and HATES to have his diaper changed... more to work on over break, I guess.

I really want to TTC, but I'm not sure if it's the right time... Probably in the next 6 months though. Time for vitamins, exercise, and eating better. tea6.gif

Do any of the littles do pretend play? Wyatt has been very interested in that lately, including building "towers" out of food and using things like green beans for cars.

#28 of 81 Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM

We've started a bit of pottying - she sits on it about once a day and she is able to tell us when she pees or poops, but she hasn't gone on the potty yet. I don't think she quite gets what we want her to do there.

She's still nursing at night, a lot more lately since she's getting molars (four at once - kill me now!) but drinking cow's milk too. Still not much of an eater, but she's finally chunking up. She's up to the 25th percentile now and actually wearing age-appropriate clothes. Yay!

Here's Abby and her "princess skirt." It lasted about 36 hours before the dogs ripped it to shreds and she was so upset that we went to the Dollar Tree and picked up their cheapy sparkly dress-up skirts in five different colors. Now she has lots of princess skirts and she insists on wearing one every day.

This is her crazy face. She does it all the time because it makes us laugh. I have looked at this picture a hundred times and it still cracks me up. Nutty baby!

#29 of 81 Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Abby is really cute! I love her crazy face!

Anyone doing fun stuff with the toddlers for the holidays?   I'm torn about a tree. I think we may just do lights and a few safe ornaments. I'm hoping Wyatt can help with some cookies... maybe color on cards...

#30 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Abbey does a lot of pretend play.

Our Abbey is still in the 10th percentile for height and the 5th for weight.

We have our tree up and she loves it. Safe ornaments near the bottom so she can take then off and put them back on over and over. If the tree lights are not on she says "tree lights on" to get us to turn them on. She loves the tree. It's going to be awful when we have to take it down.

Tags
2011 Due Date Clubs , Due Date Clubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page