cradle cap in 4 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son who is 4, 5 this Aug still has cradle cap. i did some reading and was able to remove what was there but it came back! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Kim

DD 11, DS 4.

#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Isn't it just dandruff? I use coconut oil for six-ish hours to loosen, the wash with a dandruff shampoo and comb out every few weeks or so. Works on my cradle-cappy kids

#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dandruff shampoo is the most common recomendation. I never liked using that stuff on my kids. I just saturated their scalp with oil every time it got built up and combed it out. My son got it until at least age 7. He's nine now and I every so often think I see some, but since his self care is mostly independent at this point I couldn't tell you for sure.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Selsun Blue was the only thing that worked for my kids.  According to my pediatrician, cradle cap is a type of fungus and soaking the scalp/hair in oil (which is what we tried and thought was working) is at best, a temporary fix because it is only removing the scabs/crust.

We found we only had to use it once and that cleared it up.  One kiddo in particular had more problems and if we ever saw a hint of it returning, we broke out the Selsun Blue.  He is 3-1/2 and we haven't had to use it in over a year.

The sea monkey has my money.

#5 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM

I've heard the Selson blue is the answer, but always had Head and Shoulders on hand (DH is a fan). Good to know

#6 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Are you concerned with the chemicals in selsun blue? makes me nervous to use on my 3 yo, especially because he hates getting his hair washed and I can foresee drama when rinsing it out especially if it gets in his eyes.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I know there are Organic dandruff shampoos, Jasons makes one I think. Selson blue always seemed kind of extreme to me, but as I said I have used Head and Shoulders and it gets the gunk off. Not even vaguely crunchy, I know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page