Co-Sleeping Schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really needing some scheduling advice before baby #2 arrives and it's total chaos. We co-sleep and my 20 month old sleeps 4-6 hours before asking to nurse. Thereafter, it's a nursing marathon until he wants to get out of bed. He goes to sleep around 10:30pm, wakes around 8:30am and naps at 2-4pm all on his own timetable. My problem is that every morning I try to sneak out of bed to shower and he's so aware of me that he wakes. I nurse him back to sleep and try and try again but can't get to the shower without him noticing I'm gone. I'm going to bed when he goes down because with nursing middle of night, I'm really getting less sleep... his 9 hours of sleep is really 6-7 hours for me and even less if I try to sneak out early for a shower. When I shower after he wakes, he's begging to go play. Our day is so late and I feel like me getting an hour to ready myself with him alongside me is not fair to him. Once I'm ready for the day it's house chores like breakfast clean-up, laundry etc. Next thing I know he's ready for a nap and barely made it out the door to play. With two hours of sleep he wakes at 4pm and the daylight is almost over (other than those summer months). I have no idea how to turn this around and feel like he's really missing out. I try to get lots done during his naps so he has more time to play. Where do you find time to get meals prepped and cooked? Laundry and showers? And then all the dishes and toys cleaned up? Anyone have advice on balancing chores and play time? I should mention... I'm a sat at home mom, my hubby is always away on business so I'm more like a single mom and live very remote without any help. Thanks for reading and for all your advice!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have any advice about the nap thing, but one thing I figured out at around 12 months is that it was way more efficient to just take my shower at the same time the baby was in the bathtub doing his evening bath--two for the price of one.  That was a great way to free up some time for other things.

As far as the meal prep goes, I'm still having a hard time with that one--can't do anything too involved because DS has a fit if I'm in the kitchen for more than about 15 minutes at a time.  If I want to make something elaborate, I have to spread it out over a long period of time, and do the prep in shifts over the course of a day.  Currently, meals in this house are a steady rotation of easy one-pot meals or takeout.  Not the most exciting, but whatever...  

#3 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree with taking him in the shower with you - that's what I do, and I don't think it would happen if I didn't! I am also not particularly strict about my expectation of chores being done.  I would much rather go out and enjoy a sunny day and let the dishes pile up a little.  It's a balance, and I choose to live in a little more chaos and get outside and play, rather than have a pristine house.  I know that won't work for everyone, but for me I just made the choice and I don't guilt myself over it.  (My husband also works a lot, not away on business, but doesn't contribute much to chores at this point, so I can understand why keeping up on things is easier). 

Things that you can do to avoid the "my house looks like a bomb went off":

Keep most toys out of sight.  Have a few out that he likes and rotate them.  That will avoid making him overstimulated. Put each toy away when he is done playing.  Yes this does involve taking out and putting away things A LOT, but it helps them get in the habit.  My son (18 months) helps with this....sometimes.  Now he will even initiate it. 

Let him help!  My son really wants to interact and help me do things.  I set up a "station" for him so that he can help do the dishes.  I give him the small broom so that he can help sweep.  I set up a station and he "helps" me cook, or prep meals.  Of course there are some aspects I need to do without him, and things take a little longer, but it's much more enjoyable when he is doing things alongside with me instead of pulling at my leg.  Plus, it helps establish good habits.  Sometimes I still put him in the carrier and he watches me do stuff. 

It's a tough balance!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

Let him help!  My son really wants to interact and help me do things.  I set up a "station" for him so that he can help do the dishes.  I give him the small broom so that he can help sweep.  I set up a station and he "helps" me cook, or prep meals.  Of course there are some aspects I need to do without him, and things take a little longer, but it's much more enjoyable when he is doing things alongside with me instead of pulling at my leg.  Plus, it helps establish good habits.  Sometimes I still put him in the carrier and he watches me do stuff. 

It's a tough balance!

yeahthat.gif

It does take longer to cook, but playing at grown-up work is really valuable play time for kids.  Yes it's important to get outside every day too, but don't feel like you're doing your DS a disservice by not spending all day "playing-with" him.  It's really good for them to play along side and do their own thing.  We have a play kitchen for DD set up just on the other side of our kitchen island, and she'll often get inspired to go make her own (pretend) meals when I'm preparing ours.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page