How do you mamas blow off steam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 30 month old DD and omg is she fierce these days. It's the age, I am aware, but it's much harder to deal with the tantrums/meltdowns, assertiveness and power struggles when you're in the thick of it. If you know what I mean.

So I have found myself having a nice glass of wine, or two to unwind after a hard day. Or something sweet, like dark chocolate. And while that's OK, I am also trying to loose weight, eat healthy and de-stress. The former are two things I should really be having every once and awhile.

How do you ladies unwind/de-stress/decompress/blow off steam when you have the time to do so? I'd like ideas on things that are cheap or free, that aren't eating/drinking and not too strenuous. Can't wait to see your suggestions ladies!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I have a minute to unwind, I'm trying to retrain myself away from snacks, much like you.  I do like tea, though - I actually like the "ritual" of making it, so maybe that would be nice for you.  I ALSO started playing guitar (looking for a teacher again) so I'll do that (even just scales) for 5 minutes.  If I have longer alone, I knit/crochet.  Or take a bath.

In the moment, sometimes I'll do a big ol' "lions breath" like in yoga - it's invigorating.  :)

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have a pretty short temper so I've learned a few techniques to keep myself sane/happy/mellow.

Exercise is KEY. I found that what I need is to get my heart rate up high for 30 minutes almost every day. I like other types of exercise too, but stuff like yoga is only good for me once a week or so. Hiking is great for me because it's like meditation but it also gets my heart pumping.

Sunshine is important. Half an hour a day does it. A walk with the dogs or some time at the park while my son plays. Right now is perfect pool weather where I live so we do that. If I don't get sunshine then I make sure I get some vitamin D in my diet. That helps me stay happy.

My husband is great. He gives me a lot of breaks. For example, he feeds our son breakfasts and he also does the nightly baths.

I also get some breaks when my son is in part-time preschool. Obviously, not everyone can afford it, but you might want to look into it to see if there's some way you could re-structure your budget.

Other ways I destress that don't involve eating or drinking: pedicures (whenever I have time and money), long baths, books and movies, calling my mom to talk, taking a scenic drive.

User Tag List