Updated: Big kid bed and pacifier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 24 months, new LO is due end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

I'd like to set up a big-kid bed for DD in her room (and keep the crib up) sometime soon, though it's okay with me if she doesn't want to move into it for a while (we wouldn't move new LO into the crib until probably a year from now).

We're getting a twin mattress -- there's a day bed that my ILs have that we could have or we could buy a "toddler" type frame on Craig's List, or I could just put the mattress on the floor. Ideas?

Also, I'd like to wean her from the pacifier before the new LO comes (so in about 4 months). If possible. She only uses it at nap and bed, though in the past 3-4 days for some reason she's been getting it out of the crib and running madly around the house with it -- showing it to me to be teasing? joking? naughty? something. (The bink has lived in the crib and the crib only for the past YEAR) I just say, "The bink stays in the crib. Go put your bink in the crib." Usually she laughs and that does it, but sometimes I have to pick her up and carry her back to the crib where she'll throw it in, and a few times she hasn't let go, so I just put her in the crib in the middle of the day and let her play with her toys in there and suck on the bink.

I'm tentatively thinking of cutting off the very tip of the rubber nipple and seeing if she'll ditch it on her own, if it's "broken." (One of my friends cut off a little more every few days until her twins voluntarily gave up their pacifiers, but they were younger than DD.) Or maybe just giving her the choice of the big-kid bed or the crib, with the caveat that the bink has to stay in the crib. I'm thinking that the dog will want to sleep with her in the big-kid bed and that will be a HUGE attraction, but maybe not -- if she's too rambunctious, he'll come in to see us or go to his bed, maybe. Anyway, is this too many (possible) changes at once? Should we work on the bink first and then the big-kid bed second?

Does anybody have any gentle tips for getting a 2-year-old to give up the pacifier?

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM

I think this is a lot going on at the same time, especially if she uses binky to fall asleep. Many toddlers go through a baby phase when they get a new sibling and even if she ditches the bink now, she may want it back in the worst way once she sees the baby using it. If it's important to get her out of the crib, I'd work on that. I would set up the big girl bed so she can get used to it and play or read on it for a while so she will get to like it. If you're not moving baby into the crib for a while, I would not be in a big rush unless the crib is getting to be unsafe (DD is climbing out of it). I only have one child right now but in your shoes I would limit the number of changes made shortly before baby comes until I see how the toddler reacts to the sibling. With the binky I would try having a little bowl or container as binky's home/bed and try to see if DD would let binky "rest" until it gets to work at nap or bedtime. Maybe put it out of reach and if she asks i'd say "binky is resting so she can help you sleep later" and try to redirect her attention. My brother and SIL did the cold turkey cut off the binky's top thing and my niece had a pretty hard time with it. For weeks and weeks I had to hide DD's binky or my niece would flip out, wanting to have it. Just some thoughts, good luck with your DD and congrats on the LO on the way :-)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hmm, with a new baby coming and lots of changes in the family- would you consider letting her keep the paci for comfort? I Am not sure at all of the true dammage of having a 2 yr old keep using the paci. I hear different sides to it- my 26 month old still uses the paci to go to sleep and I have mixed feelings about it- but it seems like your ds will have to handle the big adjustment of having her parents all to herself and then sharing with a sibling so perhaps th paci being taken awa too woudl be too much? or perhaps you are trying to do it before the baby comes so you don't have to do it in the transition time? which I understand. I am not sure how to give up he paci, I thought we would be done with it by now but arent either.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well -- we have 4 months until the new one is here, and I thought/think that will be enough time to do it. Like I said, the bink already lives in the crib -- she's only had it when she's in the crib for the past year and except for the past couple of days of boundary-testing/playing has been A-okay with that. I think if we wait until after new LO is here, there will be no weaning her from it -- we'll just have to commit to her having it until she voluntarily gives it up, which is definitely not the end of the world, but not exactly what I want, either.

I actually snipped about a micrometer off of the end just now before bed and found one extra one and hid it -- I need to do a thorough sweep of the house tonight and the nursery tomorrow, or she'll be sure to find an intact one! I watched her in the door and she put it in, then took it out and looked at it for a long time, then took it out and looked at it, put it back in, then I closed the door and left. About 10 minutes later, she asked for some milk and I took her a sippy with about 3 ounces of whole milk in it. Then she asked for a new diaper (her diaper was not wet, but I changed it anyway -- I think she wanted to wear the purple one for some reason), and then she laid back down and put the slightly modified bink back in her mouth. I haven't heard anything since, and I'm pretty sure she's asleep.

I'll let you guys know how it goes tonight.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Okay, apparently was not sleeping (which is highly unusual). I heard noises at about 9 (so 1/2 hour past bedtime) then fussing, then I went to get her and she wanted to come in the bed with me, so then we sang and read books for about 1/2 an hour, then DH put her back to bed. She woke up around 2 (not too terribly unusual, but not super common either), but went right back to bed when I went in and patted her. I'm going to wait til probably tomorrow night and slice another sliver off of the bink.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Well, we haven't had any tears, but DD's taken a lot longer to actually get to sleep the past 2 nights -- including the fact that she's been taking off her PJ's then her (snap fuzzibuns) diaper and putting her pants back on and then peeing all over everything after a shortish time in bed. I do not think at just now 24 months that it's a deliberate ploy to extend bedtime, but I guess I'm not really sure. (I'm guessing it's more likely that she just doesn't want to wear her diaper and then falls asleep and pees and that wakes her up, but we don't have a video monitor or anything that would let us definitively know -- not that it really matters much, I'm just curious if this has anything to do with the bink missing part of its tip or is just a coincidence.) I'm thinking that we'll need to add in/substitute something else (maybe reading/singing) to modify the current bedtime routine. Still sleeping well at nap, though, which is good!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

keep us updated!I really need to get my 27 month off the paci and this cutting off the tip sounds like a good possible way. Is it working for you? Are you cutting a litle each day?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Haha! The plan was to cut off a sliver a little bit every few days. DH lopped it off pretty good the second night, though, so we've been cruising with about a 1/2 a rubber nipple for the past 3 nights. I'll slice just a sliver off tomorrow. She's still taking longer to get down (as in, a slightly longer bedtime routine, plus 15-30 minutes of us thinking she's asleep, then doing something mischievous -- mostly just taking off all of her clothes and diaper -- so that we have to go back in and do bedtime routine again). She's been STTN still, though, so I really can't complain. (She did wake up with a bad dream once, but since we started pacifier-weaning, that's been the only middle-of-the-night waking.)

I'm hoping that as the nub of a nipple gets smaller and smaller she'll just decide it's not worth it and toss it away herself.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I came on here to see when we actually started the pacifier-ditching process -- it's been almost 2 months! Taking it slowly is good, though!

I took this picture 2 days ago, and we actually lopped off another sliver tonight. She went down really easily, though like I said before, bedtime routine has become a little more involved, with requests to read another book, get something to drink, go to the potty again, etc. That's fine with me -- the closer I get to my due date the more I keep thinking that she won't be my (only) baby much longer!

I'm thinking that after the bit that was cut off today, we have one more day of cutting something off. I had hoped that she'd voluntarily give it up by this point. I guess I'll see after a few more days when it's really down to nothing what she does.

I'm still looking for advice/experience, if anyone has any. Should I just let her hang on to the pacifier nub? For how long? Should I take the plunge and if she's still "using" it after another week, hide it/throw it away?

ETA: She did stop the extend-bedtime by peeing business lol.gif in case anyone was curious! I think the wet feeling was just bothering her/waking her up. We've switched to a disposable (she only wears a diaper at night) and that seems to have fixed the problem. I figure a little over 2 years in cloth is a good run.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Id let her keep the nub. It can't cause mouth problems if she can't suck on it. Maybe attach it loosely to a favourite stuffed animal she can sleep with and if one day it falls off, she still has her kitty or whatever to sleep with and probably won't notice.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Id let her keep the nub. It can't cause mouth problems if she can't suck on it. Maybe attach it loosely to a favourite stuffed animal she can sleep with and if one day it falls off, she still has her kitty or whatever to sleep with and probably won't notice.

This is a good point. It's even smaller now than it was in the photo (by one sliver) and I think I'll cut it off more tomorrow night or night after next, but then I'm thinking we're probably done with the trimming. This morning she woke up at 4am and when I went to get her she said "All gone" -- finally I figured out what she was talking about when she repeated "Bink all gone" -- but then she asked for bed tonight by saying "Green Binky," so who knows.

User Tag List