waterproof shoes for toddlers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

what waterproof shoes do you have for your toddler? My toddler has no waterprood shoes- I keep searching around online and then getting overwhelemed with options and getting nothing. Actually I finally ordered him some speedo "water shoes" but I think those will be more for when we go to swimming areas. I don't have rain boots for him- I am wondering if anyone knows any inexpensive-ish ones that are good? I haven't gotten him rain boots cause I thought they would be difficult for him to run around in, not sure.

What I really want to find is some comfy 2 yr old boy shoes that are waterproof that he can simply play in on a wet day. or rn in wet grass in or whatever.

so two qustions then- good rain boot suggestions for a 2 yr old, and good waterproof shoes suggestions? I found a couple of keen shos online that claim to be waterproof but boy are they pricey- like 65 dollars- I am not sure if that is the norm? I would spend that much only if I knew they would last a long time and wrok super well- but if there are good cheaper ones that would be better.

what does your toddler have for waterproof foot wear?

#2 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a pair of Nike sandals. The soles are flexible, they have Velcro on top and in the back so they fit nicely. She can take them off so I make it a point to only put them on once she is coming out of the stroller. I got them for the summer, running around wading pools and splash pads. They were $25 or so instead of the $65 for the keens like you said. They work well, she can move around fine in them and they go on easy so I'm happy. I don't have a rain boot for her yet and I'm not sure if I'll get one for her. Good luck on your hunt
#3 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 PM

we farm, and have run through every single kind of rain boot out there- they make crap ones for kids that are not meant to be worn every day.

we finally found a pair of croc rainboots and they are holding up well enough to get passed down.  they're like regular crocs and weigh practically nothing.  you should look into those- dd can run quite well in them.  they run a bit big (unless you add big socks, of course).

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 PM

We bought dd some off brand Keens at target last year, and then found some real ones at an outlet for about $25. Worth every penny. She wears them almost every day and with everything. They are great with or without socks. They are the only shoes that she doesn't throw a fit about wearing. And added bonus that she can put them on and off herself. We always get a pair of crocs too, usually at an outlet (found them at biglots for $5) or off brand for summer and winter.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#5 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

tinyblackdot-- what type of keens did you get that are waterproof? I looked on the keen website and the waterproof ones start at toddler size 8  and ds is size 7

I ordered him some chep rain boots from amazon (not that cheap but the least expensive they had in his size) so we will see how the do. I have keens for him in regular shoes and love them too-

#6 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Look up Sun Sans.  They are DS's go-to pair right now, and they're totally waterproof, though they don't look it.  They're just simple leather strap sandals.  They're about $30, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than Keens!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

we farm, and have run through every single kind of rain boot out there- they make crap ones for kids that are not meant to be worn every day.

we finally found a pair of croc rainboots and they are holding up well enough to get passed down.  they're like regular crocs and weigh practically nothing.  you should look into those- dd can run quite well in them.  they run a bit big (unless you add big socks, of course).

We love the croc rainboots, too!  Best for toddlers, and they do last from kid to kid.  We live in Portland, OR and wear rainboots 9 months+ out of the year.  iplay used to make cheaper version of a similar shoe called the iplay Lunar Boots, but we've had trouble finding them for the past few years...

For water shoes, I really like keens ...

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#8 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

what keens specifically? there are so many types

#9 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

ordered some keens on sale

#10 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post

Look up Sun Sans.  They are DS's go-to pair right now, and they're totally waterproof, though they don't look it.  They're just simple leather strap sandals.  They're about $30, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than Keens!

these are super cute!

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#11 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

for some weird reason the exact keens I really wanted but were selling for 64 dollars were for sale for 32 yesterday on amazon so I bought a pair! :)

#12 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Keens are awesome shoes, but I can't justify the price either (and I even get a discount through work). We went with Timberland Kids Mad River Closed-Toe Sandal. I like them because they are adjustable in 3 places and easy to get the sand/dirt out of.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#13 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 PM

We have ds in sandals, right now he's wearing a pair of tevas. But I also have a pair of water shoes he could wear. Last summer I pretty much kept him in the water shoes since they had pretty flexible soles. However they weren't that breathable and did tend to get a bit stinky. I think some water shoes are more breathable than others.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page