DD is 26 months old and I'm totally losing it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I work alternate schedules so that DD is not in daycare.  He works weekends, I work weekdays.  I don't know what the hell is going on but our daughter has been wretched for days.  She is either clinging to one of us, or tantruming. Oh, or else terrorizing our dogs and trying to hit us.  She won't go down for a nap or to bed.  She won't eat.  

I feel like I'm totally losing my mind.  I am doing my best to be patient with her, I don't know if it's teeth or a viral thing or what, but she's definitely not feeling herself.  At some point though, it stops mattering because I am exhausted and so freaking tired of her.  Two days where I absolutely cannot get her to sleep.  She skipped her nap today because I couldn't get her down, and she has never in her life put herself to sleep.  Not once ever.  

She is a very high needs child, but I feel like I've reached the end of my rope with her this weekend.  DH is at work all night and right now I just put her in her room so that I don't have to deal with it. I NEVER do that, but I just don't have anything left for her.  

I'm not really looking for instructions on how to parent my child, but BTDT and support are always welcome. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM

I hear you, mama.  Our kids are within a week or two of each other and I find this to be a HARD age.  Ours has never gone to sleep on his own, either.

My advice is always the same to moms who are at the end of their rope:  try to find a LLL or mom's group, get out of the house in some way every day, try to cultivate a SAHM mom friend or two (or six), go to a library storytime if there's one in your area, etc.  It is a little easier now since it's nice outside, but don't doubt that they call them the terrible twos for nothing.  I have always hated that characterization while also knowing it exists for a pretty good reason.

I have recently involved our son in a short (2 hours) Parent's Morning Out program.  There is one regular woman who runs it and then there is a different mom every week as the second adult.  It is cheap and wonderful.  I had never left our LO with anyone other than my ILs for a couple of hours, so I was very hesitant about it.  However, it's worked out quite well for us both.

I definitely have had times where I put myself in the bathroom and shut the door for a minute or two.  He often pees on the floor to get back at me, but sometimes I just need to get myself together.

Good luck and hang in there.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Mine is 3/30, so very close in age, and the past 2 weeks she has TOTALLY changed.  She has always been intense, demanding, talkative, non-sleeping... But she has kicked it up a MAJOR notch.  She stopped calling me Mommy, which she has ALWAYS called me, and now calls me "Mom" when she's happy, or Mama when she's needy.  It's like EVERYTHING has to be more expressive - even her word choices.  Sigh.  I feel you.  It's very, very trying.  I've been taking her on lots of adventures, just grabbing a few things, chucking her in the car, and driving 30 minutes or so to the nature center, a park, the big huge mall, anywhere that there are more interesting things around than me! 

Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Mine is 3/30, so very close in age, and the past 2 weeks she has TOTALLY changed.  She has always been intense, demanding, talkative, non-sleeping... But she has kicked it up a MAJOR notch.  She stopped calling me Mommy, which she has ALWAYS called me, and now calls me "Mom" when she's happy, or Mama when she's needy.  It's like EVERYTHING has to be more expressive - even her word choices.  Sigh.  I feel you.  It's very, very trying.  I've been taking her on lots of adventures, just grabbing a few things, chucking her in the car, and driving 30 minutes or so to the nature center, a park, the big huge mall, anywhere that there are more interesting things around than me! 

If only that was an option.  She is at her worst when we are out in public.  All she wants to do is run away from us.  For safety reasons, we sometimes have to tell her no - you know, like if she is heading into the street!  Well, ANYTIME we ever tell her no about anything, and I mean ANYTHING, she throws a screaming throwing herself on the ground, kicking her legs tantrum.  It is exhausting to do anything at all with her.  And if that wasn't bad enough, getting her into the carseat is torture and she still screams the whole drive more than half the time. Part of the reason I'm having such a rough time tonight is that DH and I went to a fair/craft show this afternoon and DD threw at least 8 tantrums in the period of 2 hours. Real tantrums.  I just don't know what the answer is but I want to run away.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It sounds like lack of sleep could be contributing majorly.  And that may be one of the hardest things to fix since lack of sleep leads to more restless nights and more challenging getting-to-sleep time.  I'd do some studying up on sleep issues and see if you can figure anything out.  I can recommend the "No Cry Sleep Solution."  Good luck!  It can just be a difficult stage, and I feel for you.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambleberry View Post

It sounds like lack of sleep could be contributing majorly.  And that may be one of the hardest things to fix since lack of sleep leads to more restless nights and more challenging getting-to-sleep time.  I'd do some studying up on sleep issues and see if you can figure anything out.  I can recommend the "No Cry Sleep Solution."  Good luck!  It can just be a difficult stage, and I feel for you.

I think you're right. She skipped her nap yesterday but I got her down for bed very early and she stayed down all night, sleeping about 13 hours straight. Then she took a 2 hour nap today. Hopefully we are getting back on track.

User Tag List