Has anyone sucessfully moved a morning nap later and preserved an early bedtime??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

My daughter is 2.5 and in the fall will be joining her older brother in a mixed age Waldorf kindergarten. She will be going for full days (until 2:30) which means she will be taking her nap around 1:00 PM (at school). She is also doing a little bit of camp this summer with her brother, and since we're picking her up at 12:00, she is also having to nap at around 12:30- 1. Her normal routine is to nap around 11:00 in the morning (sometime even a little earlier), and then to bed around 7 pm. We are having the exact same issue with her that we had with our son when he was this age...by pushing the nap time to any time after 12, she is unable to fall asleep in the evening until almost 9! We never solved it with our son...instead we ended up "taking away" the nap at age 3, and his bedtime has remained steady at around 6:30-7. Has anyone had this problem and successfully solved it? I feel like the only person in the world whose toddler naps in the morning. I've read that right after lunch is the "best" time for a nap given our natural rhythms, and also that having too long of a stretch between nap and bedtime can cause early waking, which is an issue we have with her...but I just don't know what to do! Even if I keep the afternoon nap short, she simply cannot fall asleep in the evening. Our children have always been "parented" to sleep, so when this happens it means one of us is laying with her from 6:45- 9:00 every night. That is not really a sustainable routine for us! Please help!

Thank you so much for any advice!

Abby

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#2 of 9 Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have no real suggestions to offer, but lately my 18mo moved his nap way later and way longer (on his own), so instead of a nap from 11:30-1 or 2, he naps from 1-4 or 4:30.  He had been going to sleep around 9, and now it isn't until 11.  I would kill for a 9pm bedtime!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#3 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Luckiest, can you wake him from his nap earlier? 3 hours is awfully long - especially so late in the day. 1-2:30 or 3 would help your bedtime out.

As for the original poster, how long is she napping?
#4 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM

DaisyMae - I'm incredibly reluctant to try to wake him up.  He is very high needs and always fights going to sleep, never sleeps for more than two hour blocks, and never more than 10-11 hours in a 24 hour period.  When he naps that long he's waking up once or twice and going back down...anyway, only in the last two months is he starting to nap for more than 45 minutes TOTAL, and I'll trade a late bedtime for a longer daytime break.  For the last two days though he's shifted back to an 11-2 nap, 10pm bedtime.  He was up at 6:15am though, so I'm not sure which mode I prefer!

#5 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 AM

10 - 6:15?  That's just over 8 hrs./night.  Is that his usual nightly total?  Was his nightly total greater when he was only napping for 45 minutes?  Too much daytime sleep can mean less nighttime sleep, but I know what you mean about the break during the day.

#6 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM

In the winter months he slept longer at night and less during the day (maybe 10 hours overnight and 1-2 during the day), but overall his total number of hours spent asleep doesn't vary much, so I'm inclined to think it's the longer summer days that are shortening his nighttime sleep.

#7 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Do you have blackout curtains? That helped my son's nighttime sleep immensely. If you can make things really dark at night and try to gradually shorten his nap, you may be able to get back on track.
#8 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM

For the OP.

In our experience, if DD isn't tired when we try to put her down for the night it takes much longer.

So if we wanted her down for 7PM and started trying at 6:45, but she wasn;t ready yet, it too would take us until 9 or 9:30 to get her down.

If we instead waited until 7:30pm, when she was a bit more ready, she will be out and us back downstairs, by 8PM.

Maybe trying looking for her cues instead of the time. And then not wait until she is really tired, but just starting to get in the zone.

Maybe the school and playschool will get her tuckered out enough to sleep eariler in the evening?

Also, our DD doesn't nap anymore, but we did have success with her having an afternoon nap and then still being able to sleep at night. She got to sleep a bit later, like 8:30-9:00, but then she slept in a bit later too. (until 8:00-8:30).

We now need her up by 7:00am, and she started fighting the nap and nighttime sleep, so we dropped her nap all together.

Good Luck.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM

My 2 year old (25 months) naps from 12 or 12:30 until 2:30, sometimes a little later and still goes to bed at 7. Some days it takes longer for him to fall asleep but usually no more than 30 minutes, most often much less. We have a very predictable bedtime routine and he goes to daycare most days and is very active. If he naps later we can stretch his bedtime to 8 pm but I hate to do that because he always wakes before 7, usually 6:30 am. School and summer camp may tire her out enough to accomplish an early bedtime even with a later nap. GL!

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page