Clothes for tall slim preschooler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there have been a few posts about this but I havent seen anything posted thats been recent..My DS is 3 years old & he is tall and slim & I struggle to find pants that fit him in length. I know you can now get pants with the adjustable waist which is great but the issue I have is he fits a size 2 around the waist (as a 3 is too big even with the adjustable waist band) but the size 2 pants dont fit him in length.. Arrrrggh!!! Does any else have the same problem? & where do you buy pants from? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my poor little mans ankles are getting cold!! :)

#2 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM

I have the same problem but with a 2 year old girl. the only solution I have found is wearing leggings :/

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

#3 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Look for brands that come in slim. It's been a while so I can't remember which ones do at that age for boys.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We have this problem, too, and I think the boy clothes seems even larger, with fewer options (like leggings).  We're doing 12 month and 18 month size shorts for my daughter.  BUT, on a whim I tried some Children's Place size 4 (like 4 - 6x, not 4T) shorts, and they fit her on the waist better than 2T does.  Maybe by that age they expect kids to thin out more?  Have you tried any "kids" sizes?  Oh - and yes.  I think Gap and OshKosh both have a "slim" option with a smaller waist, but only for certain styles.

#5 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Gymboree carries a slim line.  I also found that their kid sizes (they start at size 3) are a lot leaner, in general, than their baby sizes (like a 3T).

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#6 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM

I have the same issue, so I'm writing more so I can follow the post than because I can offer answers!

My DS is 23 mos, and 10th percentile weight for height (so ya, long and skinny!).  I have recently bought him size 3T toddler GIRL jeans from GAP, (the "slim" style jeans) and these seem to have fit him well, so that's something to consider.  With the plain styles, there's no way to know its a girls pair, and there are usually more girls pants on sale than boys.

Since he's been an EC grad since 19 mos, I've found that it's even worse because he hasn't had a diaper to add extra bulk so the 2T pants just looked ridiculous on his little bum.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#7 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd try sizing up because they stop taking into account diaper bulk. A 4T might fit better than a 3T

#8 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.. There seems to be more parents out there that have this issue with their DD's. I will definately try some of the brands. I think Gap now ship to Australia. Thanks again :)

#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Sigh, I have the same problem too.  So far, I haven't figured out anything, but I have noticed girl's pants run slimmer than boys pants.  Finding some that aren't pink is the challenge though...(FWIW, if I had a girl, I still wouldn't buy jeans with pink butterflies on them...shudder)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page