Nearly 17 months old and not walking independently - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a baby girl who will be 17 months old July 1st. She still isn't really walking independently, but readily cruises furniture.  She takes independent steps between my husband and me, often quite a few, and will sometimes walk holding just one hand but still hasn't taken off on her own to become a full-fledged walker.  All of my kids have been latish walkers, like their dad, but she is the latest so far and has been working on it the longest.  My concern isn't so much with her age, because her father didn't walk until 17 months, but with the fact that she has been working on it so long.  I've also noticed that she really turns her feet out when she walks, especially her right foot.  She took her first couple of independent steps about a month ago and I really thought she would have it down by now.  She is progressing with it but very slowly.  Her balance still seems really shaky most of the time.  My other kids are quite a bit older but my memory is that it was only a couple of weeks between first steps and independent walking.  Does anyone see any reason for concern?

#2 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 PM

It's worth asking your pediatrician about.  If she needs some help with physical therapy, the sooner the better.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Does she crawl normally?

I used to babysit a little girl who didn't walk until about 19 months. She crawled and later, started scooting all over. Once she started walking, she walked perfectly normally and developed into a running, skipping, hopping toddler within a few months. So, ask your pediatrician, but I also  think this may be in the range of "normal".

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

my little guy didn't walk till 19 months and now he runs and jumps and walks around perfectly just like any other toddler- no problem what so ever- he just took his time!

#5 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My DS1did not walk until 18 months and his feet also turned outward. He actually wears orthotics now in his shoes to assist with his feet. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page