2 1/2 year old DD decided she's not going poopie anymore...help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My 2 1/2 year old DD started potty traiining last week. She has done GREAT going pee pee but has decided she isn't pooping anymore. Not on the potty, she has gone twice on the potty, or in a diaper! It has been 7 days and she has only gone 3 times which were quite the event. She gets so stressed out and anxiety sets in and she is so distraught. I feel so bad for her because I dont know what else to do for her. I have tried to explain the her why we need to go and why it hurts. Nothing has worked. I know going poopie out of a diaper is a big life changing event and it doesnt always happen right away but I am concerned because she wont go at all. I know that is not good and have read online it could effect her bowels for the future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also we usually don't give DD juice but we have tried that without luck and we did give her 2 prunes tonight but so far no luck:(

Mom of DD 10/09 who
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If she's not willing to poo on the potty, you may have to ease her into it. One method some parents use with success is to say DD is allowed a diaper to poop in but she has to ask for it. Try also to get her to poo in the bathroom in her diaper if she's willing. Pooping in the diaper isn't ideal but right now we need to keep those bowels moving. Lots of fruits and veggies and little to no dairy for a few days works like a charm at our house. (as an aside, was she using a potty chair or the toilet? Sometimes splash back can scare a kiddo for a while). Next, work on getting her to sit on the potty with her diaper on. Once she is comfortable doing that, it's time to get rid of the diaper. (make sure her feet are planted firmly on the ground or a very stable stool so she can push). If using disposables, you can start cutting bigger and bigger holes in the back so eventually the poo just falls in the potty, then you can get rid of the diaps altogether. If using cloth, you can loosen them gradually and shift them down away from her bum to get a similar effect. I have heard of moms putting a belt (loop of covered elastic for instance) on the toddler who is having trouble with the final step to mimic the feel of a diaper waistband.

HTH. I gotta run, DD needs breakfast :-)

User Tag List