No dairy - need some fatty food ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

We dropped dairy about a month ago, and lately I've noticed that my daughter's food preferences have really changed.  She used to eat 1.5 scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Now she's not so into them, but is gorging herself on hard-boiled egg yolks.  She wants to eat lots and lots of buttered (well, margarined) toast.  Could be just a toddler food whim, but it makes me wonder if she's getting enough fat.  She used to eat a lot of cheese and yogurt, drank about 10 ounces of whole milk a day, and I cooked a lot of things in butter.  We've replaced the whole milk with coconut, which isn't as fatty.  Other than that...I haven't added much to her diet.  On top of that, our CSA is giving us millions of heads of lettuce, so we're having lots of dinner salads.  I give her mostly the toppings, and only a bit of lettuce, but ordinarily our side veggies would be cooked in olive oil or butter, and now they're just plain.  I'd love any suggestions for good fatty foods.  She's wearing most of the same clothes from last summer, so she definitely needs the fat/calories! 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(BTW:  We do some peanut butter, but I should do more; salmon is hit or miss, but she LOVES tuna salad; she loves smoothies, but I don't know how to do a good dairy-free version.)

#2 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd loves avocado.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Cooking your veggies with a bit of coconut oil.

Coconut milk for cooking rice with, adding to smoothies or other foods.  Making simple milky/creamy sauces out of.

Avocado is great (It's awesome simply chopped with a hard boiled egg, then drizzled with some olive oil and simple spices - if she likes hard boiled eggs already, I'd see if she'll go for that or something similar).  Avocado is also fine added in smoothies too (you can even freeze it for that use).  

Not a good source of fat, or anything, but frozen bananas are a great base for non-dairy smoothie.  I add other fruits, juice to that here.  You can add nut butters and small bits of baby spinach or other greens.  Tofu works also.  If you're adding a lot of 'other' ingredients that'll be heavier flavored, I try to make sure I add cinnamon & honey to compensate for the stronger non-sweet flavors which helps a lot.  Sometimes nutmeg too, or even lemon juice is enough to work on it's own (without the cinnamon or nutmeg).  

Does she like beans?  That would be a moderately good source of extra fat/protein that, really, you can add to most dishes pretty easily.  I used to love beans on a toothpick dipped in ketchup as a kiddo myself.    

#4 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM

This is one we struggle with having a teeny vegan tot (we think she is just genetically teeny but we still worry like all parents). Here is what we are doing:

nut butters (and lately we are starting whole nuts too & don't forget about almond and cashew butter)

hummus

faux yogurts (coconut, soy, & almond kinds are available) with flax oil added

oatmeals with flax oil added (my DD loves Maypo cereal with flax oil)

Avocado (try making avocado chocolate pudding!)

Pasta loaded with butter & lots of cooked veggies loaded with butter.

home made popsicles mixed with canned coconut milk (mine loves OJ & coconut milk)

We also do lots of muffins (with veggies sneaked in!) and don't hesitate to give an occasional treat like faux ice cream brands & some good "healthy" cookies that i make with lots of good stuff in them like oatmeal, nut butters, ground flax seed etc.

Hope this helps!!

#5 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM

I just want to put in another vote for the coconut oil.  I've had to cut dairy out, and I never felt quite "satisfied", as I LOVE cheese and cream, etc, etc.  I started adding coconut oil to my smoothies and using it to cook, and it really helped a ton! I also use this simple recipe for my smoothies and it works great:  spinach, banana (frozen), nutbutter, coconut oil, flax, cucumber, carrot juice, and some parsley.  I also really like the full fat cans of coconut milk to use as popsicles or ice cream. (open the can and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight to thicken it up a bit). 

avocado is great and really versatile too. 

i make granola bites using nuts that I smash up real small and nutbutter mixed with honey to hold it together. 

I will say, just based on my experience, that you are probably right on with the fat content.  The other thing I started doing, since we are working toward the GAPS type lifestyle, which is based heavily in animal products, is incorporating the fats from the meats I cook.  I will try to make a gravy whenever possible from the pan drippings, and I actually reserve a bit of bacon grease to cook my eggs in.  I am also trying really hard to keep weight on, and using the coconut oil, avocado, nutbutters, and using animal fats (from natural, pasture raised animals) has gone a long way in making me feel more satisfied. 

good luck!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#6 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My DS eats coconut oil off a spoon smile.gif

How about ghee? You can make your own incredibly easily. It's pure butterfat so it's fine for those with dairy allergies. So much better than chemical margarine!!!

I'd just start cooking your food in boat loads of ghee and coconut oil.

Not to plug, but I am always looking for ways to eat more fat and just posted a recipe for fat pops on my blog: www.momfooleryblog.com

It's basically coconut milk, avocado, banana, berries, coconut oil (lots) and cinnamon poured into popsicle molds. DS loves them.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, these suggestions are fantastic!!  I am loving the popsicle ideas.  Definitely going to try some of those.  Anyone have specific recipes to share?  KellyandBean, is there a vegan muffin or cookie recipe that you use as a base?  (We do eggs, so it doesn't even have to be vegan.)  And an avocado/chocolate recipe?   Luckiest, I will definitely check out your blog for the pops.  Can you explain how to make ghee?  I know it involves skimming butter...

#8 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I make a "pudding pop" with banana/avocado pudding swirled with coconut milk (the full fat stuff from a can) that are amazing-the kids go crazy over them.  The recipe is actually from mothering's raw food issue, so you can probably google it, but this is my highly adapted version that I use without measuring anything, lol!

1 avocado

2 bananas (I use frozen, but you can use fresh)

cocoa powder (I don't measure, sorry!)

honey (to taste)

vanilla (to taste)

dash of salt

Blend it all together, then scoop into a popsicle mold, add some coconut milk, layer more pudding, etc., then freeze.

You can also just eat the pudding by itself, delicious!

Also, if you are eating lots of salads, make a good fatty dressing out of olive oil and whatever else to pour on top or for her to dip veggies into.  You can also add coconut oil into smoothies, etc (my kids eat it off a spoon too :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#9 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Can you explain how to make ghee?  I know it involves skimming butter...

Yes, that's literally all it is.  You put some good quality butter over low heat, don't mess with it, and the "scum" (the milk proteins) will rise to the top and you skim it off.  Skim some off, leave for a bit, skim some off, until you've skimmed all you can, then strain through something like cheesecloth or a paper towel to get rid of the last dregs.  I'm not too dairy intolerant (regular butter doesn't bother me), but I like using ghee because it doesn't burn like butter does (it's the milk proteins that burn).

I make it and combine with coconut oil for an all-purpose cooking oil.  Here is a recipe for that, along with a tutorial on how to make ghee:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-and-ghee/#axzz1zIhG0FT4

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#10 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemami View Post

I make a "pudding pop" with banana/avocado pudding swirled with coconut milk (the full fat stuff from a can) that are amazing-the kids go crazy over them.  The recipe is actually from mothering's raw food issue, so you can probably google it, but this is my highly adapted version that I use without measuring anything, lol!

1 avocado

2 bananas (I use frozen, but you can use fresh)

cocoa powder (I don't measure, sorry!)

honey (to taste)

vanilla (to taste)

dash of salt

Blend it all together, then scoop into a popsicle mold, add some coconut milk, layer more pudding, etc., then freeze.

You can also just eat the pudding by itself, delicious!

Also, if you are eating lots of salads, make a good fatty dressing out of olive oil and whatever else to pour on top or for her to dip veggies into.  You can also add coconut oil into smoothies, etc (my kids eat it off a spoon too :)

We tried our first avocado chocolate pudding this afternoon and it was an epic fail :(  Too much cocoa powder, maybe.  We'll have to give it another go.  I think I might still have that issue of Mothering...I'll have to look around for it.  I like to have a solid recipe for the first try. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post

Yes, that's literally all it is.  You put some good quality butter over low heat, don't mess with it, and the "scum" (the milk proteins) will rise to the top and you skim it off.  Skim some off, leave for a bit, skim some off, until you've skimmed all you can, then strain through something like cheesecloth or a paper towel to get rid of the last dregs.  I'm not too dairy intolerant (regular butter doesn't bother me), but I like using ghee because it doesn't burn like butter does (it's the milk proteins that burn).

I make it and combine with coconut oil for an all-purpose cooking oil.  Here is a recipe for that, along with a tutorial on how to make ghee:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-and-ghee/#axzz1zIhG0FT4

Ah, fantastic!  Thanks for this..

Another question, while I'm at it:  Do you find it really expensive?  I feel like a lot of the things I'm adding into our diet are far more expensive than those we removed.  Oils and nut butters take a while to use, but the coconut milk in the can...it's not cheap.  And we're on a pretty tight budget, already buying very little extra/processed type of stuff.  Does it balance out somehow?

AND - Anyone else trying to lose weight while trying to help a toddler gain weight?  But generally having a "we eat the same foods" mentality?  I find that difficult, too.

#11 of 22 Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sorry-I have been making it for so long that I just kind of do it to taste! I copied and pasted this from a blog that says it is the original recipe from mothering.  See, I totally forgot about adding the oil, even though I usually do!

RAW CHOCONANA PUDDING

1 avocado

1/2 ripe banana

1/4 cup cocoa powder (use dark and organic for extra antioxidant power)

1/4 cup honey (NOTE: I think this is too much. I used only one and a half Tablespoons and that was sweet enough for me. )

1 T coconut oil

1 t vanilla

Yes, I do often find it expensive to make things like this! Avocados are not cheap here, nor is the coconut milk, nuts, especially if you want to buy organic.  I have had to really simplify the way we eat and pretty much completely cut out any packaged snacks, etc. in order to afford it.  We are not high income by any stretch of the imagination :)

Another fun use I have done for coconut oil is to make it into chocolate syrup (melt with chocolate chips or cocoa powder and sugar) to pour on top of banana icecream (frozen banans blended into a creamy consistency) It hardens into chocolate shell and we all love it!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#12 of 22 Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Smoothies made with frozen banana, vanilla soy/ almond milk, ton of cahsew butter, honey and any other fruits
Raw asssorted nuts snack packs to eat daily
Coconut cream ( not milk) based dips, broth, soup, curries
Chickpeas, black peas...all kinds of beans , cooked and then sauted in oil
( hummus with olive oil)
Cakes and muffins home made of vegan butter, dates, nuts
Avocadoes ( in dips, smoothies, just as it is, spreads)
Shoyu tofu ( very yummy...I get it from my whole foods bar)

A book I highly recommend for recipes and any advice for vegan living, " disease proof your child" redface.gif

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#13 of 22 Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

We tried our first avocado chocolate pudding this afternoon and it was an epic fail greensad.gif 

AND - Anyone else trying to lose weight while trying to help a toddler gain weight?  But generally having a "we eat the same foods" mentality?  I find that difficult, too.

Dont be discouraged by first attempts! Its easier to do simple vegan recipes than most dairy ones:) just give it a few more tries, I promise, and I am not a good cook at all!

Yes, am trying to lose weight and to keep toddler from losing ( he has good apetite and eats well, and to be honest, I dont expect him to gain at this stage!) I am finding it super difficult but some of the pros:
I am eating more fatty foods than I would like, but hey its all good heart healthy fat, not fries and ice cream:)
I make so many things at home now, and to model for my DS we eat all that stuff, and it has to be a good thing to eat large amounts of unprocessed stuff

I do make two versions of many things, one with no added fat for me greensad.gif

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#14 of 22 Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM

As someone with a dairy allergy, not a sensitivity, I have to respond to the comment about ghee & pure butterfat being ok for people with dairy allergies to eat. Ghee/butterfat is dairy & no matter if it's clarified & the lactose and some of the proteins are removed and is considered a milk allergen. I know that if I were to eat any I would end up with a really horrible allergic reaction. Just an FYI! :)

Another way to get some good fat in is to add flax oil or flax seeds or hemp seeds to the salads you're making. I add them both to baked goods and sometimes toss some in when I'm sauteeing veggies or add them into oatmeal or onto cereal in the morning. I make my own "LaraBar" type snacks from dried fruits and nuts & add flax seeds into them too, my 2.5yo loves them!

Mommy to DS (12/18/09) joy.gif  Partner to KC learning.gif

nocirc.gif   selectivevax.gif cd.gif   familybed1.gif  dp_femalesling.GIF   treehugger.gif   rainbow1284.gif   

#15 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM

How do you feel about fish? My dd (from around 11mo on) LOVES smokes salmon. She will eat a pack of it by herself if we let her. It's high in omega-3's and monounsaturated fats, plus if you like fish it's just plain yummy. you can put it on crackers, or make a lettuce wrap with it or just eat it plain (which is how DD likes hers).

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif
#16 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Does she eat meat?

caffix.gif

#17 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 PM

I didn't have time to read all of the replys so I'm sorry if I'm repeating, BUT dd is on a high fat dairy free diet. These are my staples: coconut milk, coconut oil, avacados, hummus, olive oil, but butters, seseame butter, sunflower seeds, granola, dried fruits, beans, coconut yogurt. For breakfast I usually make her oatmeal with coconut oil, or eggs and toast, snack of crackers and apples and nut butter, lunch avacado and hummus sandwich, chips, dried fruit, and milk, afternoon snack smoothie: bananas, coconut oil, splash of chocolate, nut butter, dinner: bean burrito in flour tortilla with tofu sourcream, brown rice with olive oil, and a veggi, and desert coconut icecream. I make her drink as much milk as possible, and give her spoonfulls of coconut oil. Remember to keep colorie intake high as well as fats. Good calories of course. And small meals often!

Good luck!!!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#18 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Radiant life sells flavored and "kid approved" fermented cod liver oil, Green Pastures is the brand, and also a version emulsified with butter oil (like ghee)- very healthy fats and my toddler gobbles the solid and liquids right off a spoon. He seems to think it's a treat and I try not to let on how happy it makes me ; )

The best dairy-free smoothies ever (IMHO) are froz fruit, fresh banana mixed with water, juice, or iced herbal tea (zingers are great) and flax seed oil. The oil makes it really creamy and filling.  

Popcorn, kettle cooked in ghee, olive oil or grape seed oil, and drizzled with any of the same or flax oil and sprinkled with salt, brewers yeast and hot paprika or cayenne.

For sweet popcorn drizzle with coconut oil and maple syrup.

I read the macadamia nuts have a really beneficial fat ratio so I buy the nuts which ds loves, but are pricy and disappear fast. I used mac nut oil for our salads and some balsamic and brewers yeast. This is good with all kinds of salad variations but I like to put nuts and dried fruit in addition to veggies. Babe eats the toppings and sucks the dressing off the leaves.

If she likes tuna salad try making a sardine salad. I mix the whole fish with mayo and lemon and salt/pepper and eat with bread or crackers.

Greens cooked in coconut oil (chard is my fave) and salt. 

Green beans cooked in sesame oil. 

Baked apples with coconut oil and cinnamon or nutmeg.

#19 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Ghee is dairy. Isn't mayo, too?
#20 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM

Looked up the answer to my own question. Mayo is free of dairy.
My confusion came from the mustard in Miracle Whip, and I am allergic to both dairy and mustard.

There are folks who are allergic to the fat in cow's milk, which definately eliminates ghee.
#21 of 22 Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalex23 View Post

Radiant life sells flavored and "kid approved" fermented cod liver oil, Green Pastures is the brand, and also a version emulsified with butter oil (like ghee)- very healthy fats and my toddler gobbles the solid and liquids right off a spoon. He seems to think it's a treat and I try not to let on how happy it makes me ; )

The best dairy-free smoothies ever (IMHO) are froz fruit, fresh banana mixed with water, juice, or iced herbal tea (zingers are great) and flax seed oil. The oil makes it really creamy and filling.  

Popcorn, kettle cooked in ghee, olive oil or grape seed oil, and drizzled with any of the same or flax oil and sprinkled with salt, brewers yeast and hot paprika or cayenne.

For sweet popcorn drizzle with coconut oil and maple syrup.

I read the macadamia nuts have a really beneficial fat ratio so I buy the nuts which ds loves, but are pricy and disappear fast. I used mac nut oil for our salads and some balsamic and brewers yeast. This is good with all kinds of salad variations but I like to put nuts and dried fruit in addition to veggies. Babe eats the toppings and sucks the dressing off the leaves.

If she likes tuna salad try making a sardine salad. I mix the whole fish with mayo and lemon and salt/pepper and eat with bread or crackers.

Greens cooked in coconut oil (chard is my fave) and salt. 

Green beans cooked in sesame oil. 

Baked apples with coconut oil and cinnamon or nutmeg.

Smoothie made with herbal tea - what a great idea!  DD has been really into tea lately.  I haven't really had popcorn on my radar either, but that's a great idea, too.  She's been slow at chewing skills, but I think she can handle popcorn. 

It's been tough to revamp our eating style, but I think the new diet is working well.  I think she may have needed some of these changes even when we were eating dairy.  I've been giving her a few tablespoons of peanut butter drizzled with honey for dessert.  She LOVES it.  Working our way up to a daily dose of 72% pure chocolate, too :) 

#22 of 22 Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To get more fat or just more calories you can add these to your kiddo's diet:
Avocado
Nuts and nut butter (cashews are tasty and fatty)
Add oil or margarine to anything
tofu
Ground flax seeds (hide in a smoothie or stir into oatmeal)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page