Need activity ideas for non crafty DS + small space - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some Creative/ healthy/ fun ideas for my 26 mo old son. ( he is an only)

We go out everyday, zoo, park all that, have lot of playdates, do hour long baths/ water activities in bathtub), read tons of books.

I have some limitatiions, so to speak!
We live in a 600 sq feet apartment ( carpeted) on a third floor( so no running) and my DS does not tolerate hot or too cold days( nor do I) so our problem are those hot afternoons and cold mornings/ evenings.
He doesnt like crafty stuff ( I keep trying) , not interested in household chores, legos or blocks( not enough to really have it as our daily activity) etc.

So, please I need some more ideas!!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM

* wrapping paper tube and toy cars. We have had many races with these by holding up the tube at a slant and pushing the cars through.

* paper airplanes

* food colouring and water glasses. drop by drop to change colours etc.

* we have a memory game and play that

* candyland is a hit here

* little beads, a small scoop and a muffin tin. My DD will play with that for quite some time. Great for colour recognition and hand eye coordination too.

* helium balloons on a string. Pulling it down and letting them race to the ceiling. My DD will play with a balloon on a string for days. She does get quite disappointed when they stop working though. We have to play up how amazing it was that it lasted so long to keep a fit from happening.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM

I have seen kids play at a sand table for a good hour with out losing interest. For a small space you could do a portable one in a small storage bin with a lid. Fill with clean sand (not regular outdoor sand because the risk of parasites etc.) Throw in a couple little shovels, rakes, cars, shells, anything you have on hand. You could have a new burried treasure everyday. Add a little water for even more fun. Making sculptures and sand castles. Another idea is getting a big piece of butcher paper or brown packing paper and draw a big road/city on it. Any cars or trucks he has can be used with it. You can roll it up and put it away when done. You could add more to it each day and ask for him to search for what is new.
#4 of 7 Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

On a daily basis, for quiet indoor time, my 28 month old likes:

~blocks and building towers. The big blocks, and wooden blocks and stacking.  (maybe your son will enjoy in a few months)

~crayons and drawing / colouring (usually I need to draw too)

~searching through a box of toys.

~watching a cartoon

~my son, at that age, loved to line up his hot wheels cars, into a traffic jam.

Guess I dont have any other ideas that may work for you.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#5 of 7 Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Those are some very good ideas, we love sand! But it's been reserved for outdoors , I may reconsider that now.
Thanks Mamas!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

We have an under-bed storage bin filled with rice - I find it easier to sweep up than sand for indoor play.  Add some spoons, containers, a funnel etc.  We also take turns hiding and digging up little animal figurines.  It does require some supervision, and "the rice stays in the rice box" reminders, but overall the entertainment value is well worth the minimal cleanup time:)  

#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Magnets for the fridge - my toddler loves putting magnetic letters on the fridge (or any magnetic surface)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page