Sleep problems! Please helllllp - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laila is 16 months old and before a few nights ago I would put her in her crib at 730 with her pacifier and stuffed dog that she sleeps with, shut the door and shell fall asleep. The past week or so, id do the same thing but now she screams (the holding the breath, afraid shell puke kind of scream), shell throw her binky and dog out of her crib and just continue screaming hysterically. I thought maybe after a little bit she would fall asleep but she doesn't. When I pick her up she'll stop screaming and when I go to put her back down shell squeeze me do tight. Shell fall right asleep when I Put her in my bed. What is going on all of a sudden?! greensad.gif I'm a single mother and it was so nice just putting her in her crib and then having some me time. Now the past few nights my bed time has been 730 when I put her in my bed greensad.gif. Please someone tell me this is normal!

I've tried night lights... Music... Books... Nothing is working greensad.gif
#2 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 PM

She might be afraid of something -- maybe she had a bad dream?  You might try talking with her about it.  She'll understand more than she can say, of course, but talking clearly about "Mommy is here and will keep you safe."  My DS is older, so we do a lot of chasing monsters away or yelling "hey you lions, get out of here!" etc.  

It could also be separation anxiety.  That kicks off sometime around that age.  Anything change recently for her during the day?  A new caregiver or other new person in her environment?

#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, my DD randomly went through a week where she eschewed her normal routine and was a big PITA about going to bed. It came and went suddenly. We think it might be teething. I'd say give it another week or so before you really freak out and make big adjustments to her routine or schedule.

#4 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM

As a sanity saver, you can pull your mattress onto the floor so there is no risk of injury if she rolls off. Then you can lay down with her until she's asleep and then get up and do your own thing. My fifteen month old is cutting six teeth at once so you may be looking at teething but it may well be a separation anxiety thing as pps have suggested. Whatever it is, she seems to need more reassurance from mommy and I'd just give it to her. This is such a tough age, trying to be their own boss while not able to communicate very well to make their wishes understood. My DD is definitely in a clingy/cranky time at the moment and she's very picky at bedtime. I'm just rolling with the punches and often end up being a baby mattress for hours. Oh well, it will pass :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page