My 3 & 1/2 year old potty trained girl has been peeing and pooping in her pants everytime she has to potty? What can I do? And why is this happening? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure why my 3 & 1/2 year old daughter is all of sudden pooping and peeing in pants now. She has had occasional peeing acidents, but not poop. I try to be sympathetic with her, but inside i am really frustrated. She doesnt even say she needs to use the potty any more, she just does it . Its been happening every day for about a month now. I am afraid to go anywhere with her, because I know she is going to just go in her pants. Any insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Is she going through a developmental regression in other ways as well? Sometimes kids just seem to step back a bit before regrouping and moving on. Another possibility is a stress she is dealing with that is causing it. How are you talking with her about it? What is her temperament like?

#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

As far as a developmental regression, not that I know of. She has never had an accident when she's been at school, but that could be because they do bathroom
visits often. School seemed to reforce the potty training. Maybe being on summer break affected it? She isn't under any stress. I am, but I don't show it. One thing I have noticed after she saw a friend breast feeding her baby a few months back, is that she tries to act like she wants to breastfeed and says she is a baby since then. She stopped nursing at age 2. I tell her that she is a big girl now and that she needs to go pee pee and poo poo in the potty, not in her pants. She just looks at me. She has a sweet temperament.
#4 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM

It sounds like she's going through the phase where she wants to be a baby again. Emphasizing being a big girl with respect to the potty is likely to make her resist the potty all the more. Instead, try emphasizing the positives in using the potty, for example "pee/poo goes in the potty. It's so nice to use the potty so we don't have to sit in a wet/dirty diaper." Some people have luck with having the child help in the cleanup of soiled clothing and/or washing the child down after each accident, explaining that if the potty was used, then they would be done and playing already. I haven't tried these strategies yet since my DD is younger but I've heard others find success with them. Good luck, I hope you find something that works.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page