tell me some positive stores about close spacing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure where this fits, but thought I would start here. Come February I will have a 3 year old (his birthday is in November) a 1 year old (Her birthday is October) and a newborn.  The 2 year spacing between 1 and 2 has been ok. As she gets more mobile and active, he enjoys playing with her. He's not potty trained yet, but I hope he will be soon.

I know it's going to be challenging, but I would really love to hear if anyone else had similiar spacing and how it was for you.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Posting to bump your post to the top for attention.

Anyone? smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

My brother turned 3 yr old four days after my birth. My sister was 22 months at the time. My Mum was only 20 yrs old at the time.

I don't know how it was for my parents....but as the kid, I enjoyed the close age gap. I not only had siblings, but I had peers growing up.

And as a kid, my Mum felt it was easier having us close in age. She only ever had to sit through 2 events for the kids. Like when we played baseball. My sister and I were in the same age group and my brother was in the higher age group. For other activities my sister and brother were together and I was in the younger group.

Also, hand me downs were easier. Clothes and stuff just went from one kid directly to another. There was no guessing about should I keep it or not and having to store them somewhere. Clothes were just used until all kids grew out of them or wore them out.

Also, less toys needed. No need for big kid toys AND toddler toys AND baby toys all over the house. We had a bunch of toys that we all played with and then a few toys that were just ours.

And when I was old enough to go to sleep over camp my Mum was able to send all of us and have a week break to herself each summer.

No need for her to be stuck with one mopey kid being left out of the fun the older siblings were having.

One draw back was that my sister was still in diapers when I was born. And my brother decided he wanted to wear diapers again too. So for a while, she had 3 kids in diapers. He quickly went back to being potty trained.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

My brother, sister and I are each eighteen months apart.  It was nice growing up close in age.  My brother and sister even lived next door to each other in college. 

I have twins - so they are pretty close in age winky.gif .  I think after age two, having twins is probably easier than having children of different ages.  However, closely spaced children would have some of the same benefits...like some one to play with and shared interests.

#5 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Hey there, I have two boys who are 20 months apart. My little one just turned two years old and I will have a third in January (although I go late so maybe February).

Close spacing is not easy on the parents in some ways and so much easier for the whole family in other ways. You have to pay very close attention to everyone for about the first six months. Then once the baby can sit, move around and generally not be squashed to death by accident, the parental responsibility load lightens a bit and the shroud of stress starts to lift.

Some Pros,

It saves you money on everything. Carseats are passed down before they expire, clothes are reworn by the next kid before they're too tattered looking. Kids in similar age groups eat similar things and that makes meal planning easier. When you take everyone to the zoo, all those little ones get in for free or next to nothing. If you homeschool, it's not too hard to teach closely spaced kids the same subjects on a similar learning level. Closely spaced kids can make awesome lifelong buddies with each other. Raise them with love and they'll never realize how worn out mom was because life was always so good for them :D

Some Cons,

It's F'ing exhausting. When they fight they're both so young that they have no idea how to resolve things without you. Monitoring that many tiny, clueless people in public places is a challenge.

Definitely get that little one of yours well on her way with potty learning before your belly gets much bigger. It's a lifesaver later to only have one in diapers. And remember, when someone asks you, "Another kid? Don't you know what causes that?!" blink owlishly and ask, "No, do you? Oh would you please explain it to me IN DETAIL?!" always hushes em right up ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page