Help! Where did my great napper go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all, the toddler I nanny has went from being a great napper to fighting naps with the intensity of a thousand suns. Before everyday I would tell her it was quiet time, first I would take her with me to start quiet time for my boys (the 10 year old reads and draws quietly in his bed for an hour, the 4 year old lays down for a nap) and then I take her to the play room where she would climb onto the loveseat, get covered by a quilt and sang a song, I then would wish her a good quiet time, give her a kiss and leave the room. She would be asleep within ten minutes.

Suddenly (the past three times I've had her) she fights sleep. She starts crying when I mention quiet time. I calm her down, do our usual thing, leave the room and within five minutes she is wailing as if she is in distress and calling for me. I go in, calm her down with kisses and a song but five minutes later she is sobbing again. I've tried everything, even putting her in the car and driving her around but she still won't sleep. If I thought she didn't need naps it would be one thing but this child is exhausted, she is extra sensitive without her nap, prone to tantrums, practically falling over tired but refuses to sleep. I am at a loss - all of my old tricks are not working.

Nothing has changed about her sleeping environment, I am right outside the door in the livingroom so I can verify no one is going in and disturbing her. No new toys have been put in the playroom. She just turned two last week, could this just be a part of the push and pull of that age?

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#2 of 2 Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How dark is the room she sleeps in? I had to get blackout drapes or my DD wouldn't nap at all. she also likes having white noise to drown out noise from outside and help her fall and stay asleep. Is she getting any molars by any chance? Teething always upsets sleep at our house. She may be going through an attachment phase where she needs more physical contact. Is it an option to try cuddling her and maybe laying down with her until she falls asleep? I know you're not her parent but I'm just spitballing things I'd try with my DD :-). Good luck, I hope you find sOmething that helps. An exhausted toddler is not my idea of a good time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page