Books for toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a first time mom, what is the books for toddlers?

Any suggestion.

#2 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Do you mean books about toddlers or books to read with toddlers?

I just read Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids (http://www.learningpeace.com/) which wasn't exactly about toddlers, but has really helped us navigate the whole autonomy and choice vs. balancing the needs of the whole family. And our doctor gave us this this book from the American Pediatric Association (which I would take with a grain of salt, but it's still a nice overview of common illnesses, and toilet, food, sleep, etc).

For books to read to toddlers - I really like the books here at www.barefootbooks.com and you can search by age. I also think anything with classic nursery rhymes or the Alphabet. My daughter just found The Construction Alphabet by Jerry Pallotta at the library and it was really rich in content. I guess he does a whole series of alphabet books.

My aunt sends us the Babybug magazine, so we get a new one every month.

#3 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM

My #1 suggestion regarding reading material for toddlers is to just walk into the library, cruise on over to the children's section, look for the board book section, and pick up whatever seems colorful and interesting.  Once you get a feel for what your child enjoys the most, then consider buying a few favorites.

Things my kid loves:  Richard Scarry books, Eric Carle books, Mo Willems (one of my favorites too), and various ABC/counting books.  Being a boy, anything with vehicles in it is a crowd pleaser, but he's also into nature, and those baby signing books.  I like to do a mix of fiction (things with a plot) and non-fiction (vocabulary building books).  I also check out a lot of the DK picture reference books on different topics.  They're really for older kids, but he seems to enjoy looking at them. 

My kid loves to read, so I couldn't survive without the library.  I have plenty of books at home that other people have passed on, but I get sick real fast of reading the same stuff over and over, so a 2-3 week checkout period with hundreds of new possibilities is just the thing to keep me sane.  The beauty of board books is they hold up well to toddler abuse.

Books are kind of a special thing at our house (an incentive for getting ready to go to sleep) so I keep the old familiar ones out where he can look at them whenever he wants, but have a special stash of "fresh books" new interesting things from the library that I dole out a little bit at a time and read to him every day before nap/bedtime.  

Also worth considering are magazines with lots of pictures.  It's fun to treat those as a scavenger hunt ("Can you find the...?").

Happy Reading!

#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM

What age is your toddler?

My DS is 22m and currently loves "number" books, he likes to count (with my help). He also really likes the "find an item" book, like of a "where is waldo" but on a toddler level. He is good about looking and finding items I tell him to look for.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 22 month old has always been obsessed with books. Kids like different things (as do parents), so it's hard to say what yours might like. I agree with the PP who suggested taking a few trips to the library with your toddler first before you start making any investments.

Here are just a few of our favorites broken down into categories...

NON-FICTION

Two Eyes, a Nose, and a Mouth by Roberta Grobel Intrater

Lots of Feelings by Shelley Rotner

Eye Like Nature: Stones by PlayBac Books

Eye Like Nature: Sticks by PlayBac Books

Eye Like Natre: Leaves by PlayBac Books

Hands Can by Cheryl Willis Hudson

Good Night by Debbie Bailey

Shoes by Debbie Bailey

My Mouth by Lloyd G. Douglas

My Legs and Feet by Lloyd G. Douglas

Busy Chickens by John Schindel and Steven Holt

FICTION

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Head to Toe by Eric Carle

Are You My Cat? by Eric Carle

Bear Says Thank You by Michael Dahl

Good-Night Owl by Pat Hutchins

Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberly 

The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman

The Story of Ferdinand  by Munro Leaf

Where's Spot?  by Eric Hill (Lift the Flap)

MISC.

Around the Farm by Eric Carle (make sounds of various farm animals)

Dr. Seuss's ABCs by Dr. Seuss

My Big Animal Book by Roger Priddy

Big Board 1st 100 Machines by Roger Priddy

#6 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My 28 month old loves P.D. Eastman books - Go Dog, Go, Are You My Mother?, Big Dog Little Dog, Fred and Ted Like to Fly.... She liked alphabet books best at 16 - 18 months.  She's also into Amelia Bedelia and Curious George books, but those are pretty long and complex if your toddler is a little younger.  Some board book "series" we really liked were Sheep in a Jeep (there's a bunch of others), and Cleo the Cat (from Barefoot Books, as PP mentioned).  Board book versions of The Snowy Day and The Mitten were big last winter, and Caps For Sale has been a perpetual favorite.  

Forgot to mention - anything by Leslie Patricelli.  Very simple books, and very easy for little ones to relate to at a young age.  Our favorite is "Tubby." 

#7 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Forgive my asking instead of looking it up, using a browser on my phone is frustrating. What is baby bug magazine? I have a nearly 2 yr old. I love magazines but figured he was too young yet. Love these book ideas. We are on a long car ride & I need more distractions!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#8 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Babybug is a magazine (mostly) full of short poems with lots of illustrations.  I check it out free at the library once in awhile.  Kiddo doesn't seem too excited by it, but likes looking at the pictures a bit here and there. 

A few more books I've remembered:

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Goodnight Gorilla

The Good Dog Carl Series

Oh, I almost forgot, speaking of poetry:  Robert Louis Stevenson:  Child's Garden of Verses. Granted, some of these are iffy from a modern perspective (views on childrearing and multiculturalism have changed a lot since this was written!), but there's a few that I feel have stood the test of time. 

#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Oh, yeah.  That reminds me that my daughter LOVES poems.  We have one called Poems to Read to the Very Young, which she likes a lot, and she likes nursery rhymes (if they're not too rawnchy or scary for me to read.)  That magazine sounds neat.  I'll have to check it out.

#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 05:04 PM

Our DD is 3.

She has LOVED books since about 6 months old. We go to the library at least once a week and take out a bunch.

She loves anything by Shirley Hughes. (very charming British sotry books. She has many series, we are found of the Alfie books).

She also loves anything from the Stella and Sam books by Marie Louis Gay. Great series.

She also loves Curious George, Little Critter Books, Fancy Nancy Series, Angelina Ballerina.

And then basically anything with pages to turn and words to read.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page