Help with toddler drinks? please.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so my DS is 2 and last Dec the dentist instructed me after taking his bottle(in which he would only drink baby cereal.. that our ped told us to start him on @2months and he would drink nothing else since) to start giving him crystal light. So for the last 8 months he has drank Crystal Light at about a gallon every day or so. He will not drink milk in any form weve tried. I tried pumping breast milk, goat milk, coconut milk. I just recently researched CL and found the aspartame reviews and I am flipping out. I went right out and bought kool aid the sugar free pouches/packs and splenda but now I see things on splenda. Idk what to do. I do not want him to lose his teeth. So i dont give him juice. Is juice better though in the long run? Healthwise.. not toothwise I mean. Or any other ideas on what i could try?
#2 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Wow, your dentist advised Crystal Light?

Toddlers don't need any of that sugar free stuff.  

Water or watered down juice if he has to have something would be better than any of those.  And I would switch to a sippy cup.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids only get water as toddler (breastmilk until weaning) Preteen gets some soda from her dad.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes he advised crystal light. He said no juice. He will only drink only water sometimes. He uses a regular straw and cup. Onky sippies when were out and about for a long time(zoo,shopping..) but he wants to drink alot. I think ill just start doing as i was before the dentist and buy the juice with the least amount of sugar and add water.
#5 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately after the pediatrician recommended the cereal my son wouldnt latch on or breastmilk in his bottle without cereal. He acted lik it was to thin. And so i pumped until the dentist recommended i stop cereal and i tried breastmilk alone he will not drink it. Or any other milks. He wants to drink alot. I feel awfuk he didnt nurse but i didnt know then what i know now and so he has had to pay for my mistakes. I nurse my 5month old. I just dont know what to do.
#6 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM

What about gradually watering down the CL until you don't need to add it? Then he can stay hydrated while you can eliminate all the artificial stuff without possibly running into problems with him refusing to drink.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#7 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to try the watering down only with kool aid and slenda. It seems to be the least harmful. And he lovesss to drink. All day refusing drink isn't a worry at this point. He just tells me no and opens the fridge to point to what he does want.
#8 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Wait, when you say a gallon of water, are you being serious or facetious? Because I would have to gorge myself to drink a gallon in a day, as an adult, so drinking that amount might be something to talk to your ped about (although if it's the same one who advised cereal at two months I'd find a new one...). As an example, excessive thirst and urination can be an indicator of diabetes or a kidney problem.

As for switching up his drink, if it were me I would throw away all the look aid and crystal light so that it isn't there for him to point to, and water down juice gradually until you're at just plain water. I'm not a fan of juice, but it's better than artificial sweeteners (Splenda and stevia included).

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#9 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

We did switch peds. Hes had tests done on both kidneys and diabetes and 3 others. The ped thinks its just he is so used to that full feeling the cereal that he may drink more do to that? I threw out all the drink mixes after this post and have right now welches and some apple&eve which was the lowest sugar content juices which he seems to like. Plan on watering it down oz by oz. Hes already been thru havin cereal which he was very attatched to taken. Now i want this to be an easy transition. So i hope this works.
#10 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I mix a gallon every day and half to two days.
#11 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Can't you just get pure 100% juice? I live in Europe but around here every supermarket has just plain juice, no sugar added.

My son is 2 and he gets either plain water, sparkling water or water with a tiny splash of juice....maybe 1:10 juice to water.

I agree with the "weaning" advice to gradually reduce the amount added. I see no harm in having a little splash of juice with water, but please keep it just pure juice. It might be an adjustment period and he may protest but you can get through that with some consistency and loving validation but firmness....*this* is what we are drinking now. If he is really that thirsty he'll drink it. That is what I always say when my son gets all fussy about drinks or food.....

Best of luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#12 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Can't you just get pure 100% juice? I live in Europe but around here every supermarket has just plain juice, no sugar added.

My son is 2 and he gets either plain water, sparkling water or water with a tiny splash of juice....maybe 1:10 juice to water.

I agree with the "weaning" advice to gradually reduce the amount added. I see no harm in having a little splash of juice with water, but please keep it just pure juice. It might be an adjustment period and he may protest but you can get through that with some consistency and loving validation but firmness....*this* is what we are drinking now. If he is really that thirsty he'll drink it. That is what I always say when my son gets all fussy about drinks or food.....

Best of luck!

Agree with P.J. about "if he's really thirsty he'll drink."  And I'm glad you're done with the drink mixes!  They're chemical heaven.  Never take baby-nutritional advice from a dentist :) 

BTW, when DD gets a treat juice box, we get the Apple and Eve Fruitables, which are fruit and veggie juice combined.  They're naturally a bit lower in sugar than other juices.  FWIW, I don't dilute my daughter's juice because I think it's gross that way.  I allow her about 1/2 cup of regular juice a day as part of a snack.  The rest of the time it's water or occasionally coconut milk.

#13 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Wow, I can't believe they advised that!

Like one of the PP said, I would slowly water it down til he has water.  What about adding ice?  My kids get a kick out of ice in their drinks.  My thought is if he is thirsty enough, he will drink it.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#14 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I agree. If he's thirsty, he will drink water or milk. DD gets very watered down juice on occasion, but other than that she only gets milk or water. For a while I was giving DD honey milk (milk with a little honey in it to make her sleepy), but we are pretty much done with that. I'd try honey water or milk and nix the CL today! Then maybe add a little less honey until its gone and he's just drinking water and milk. Honey is much healthier than aspartame, and he might like to drink the milk with honey in it because it's fun for them to stir it up.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM

DD also loves cucumber water, if you are wanting to do a pitcher of something in the fridge. It's just slices of cucumber in water.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#16 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

DD also loves cucumber water, if you are wanting to do a pitcher of something in the fridge. It's just slices of cucumber in water.

Totally making that tomorrow. 

#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

At the grocery stores around my home they dont have 100% juice.
They have bottle which say 100% but if you read the label there is sugar added.
I have been watering it down he is taking a bit less than half juice to water.
Thank you all for your replies.
#18 of 19 Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.
Hes is taking welches white grape or the apple&eve fruit/veg juice
I add about half water to the welches
But water with the apple and eves doesnt sound very good.
He also does like ice water so i am going to try avoid any juice today.
Cucumber water also sounds yummy smile.gif and we have them in our garden!
As for milk we only do coconut milk or goats milk.
I am not big on cow milk.
I just wish i had never stopped nursing greensad.gif then this wouldn't be an issue.
But I know better now and so its a mistake that wont be repeated.
#19 of 19 Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I make cucumber water occasionally, it's very refreshing on a hot day, also good with lemon in it.
I also discovered that you can put pretty much any sliced fruit in water to pep it up. I like strawberries, blueberries or raspberries. Orange also works. As does lime and obviously lemon. I havent tried any others but pineapple sounds good too, or just about any fruit! For a toddler I would make sure there's not actually fruit pieces in their drink though as that could be a choking hazard. But if you fill a pitcher with the fruit slices and water and keep it in the fridge the flavor will steep in and you can serve it to him w/out the fruit pieces.
Other ideas are those special cups with a twirly twisty straw that goes around the outside of the cup, you can also get those straws on their own, that might make it fun. And ice, my DS also gets a kick out of ice.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page