My carb & dairy loving 2 year old- help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is a pretty picky eater. I never stressed about until she weaned about 4 months ago because I'm pregnant and my supply was gone. Now I am a little more concerned. 

Here is the short list of what she will eat:

Yogurt

Cheese

Carrot sticks, raw only

Tortillas

A good variety of fruits

Soy milk

Almond milk

Coconut water

Pasta, plain or with cheese

Chips, crackers, and most empty carb snacks

Sweet breads like scones or muffins

Some cereals

Cashews or almond slivers

Tofu pup hot dogs

I can sometimes sneak in greens into a morning smoothie, but only if it is blended extremely well. She turns her nose up at most everything we eat. I can only think of so many ways to remix the foods she likes! Any ideas? Should I keep offering the food we usually eat? Make separate meals? I'm at a loss because my son was never picky and ate anything we gave him to try. Having a picky eater is my worst nightmare because I'm a very adventurous eater and cook at home. 

Any advice would be great!

Anarchist Mama to Micah born 09/22/04, Zola born 01/24/10, and Dalia born at home on 08/02/12. Trying my best to raise radical and amazing humans. Labor doula and full-time Women's Studies student trying to make it all work!

#2 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am right now reading a book I am really enjoying called French kids eat everything.

It is not preachy it more explains how and why french kids do eat so well and compares it to Americans- the writer is a mom who was from Canada and lived in France- so she compares herself.

Anyway it has some good ideas regarding feeding kids and it is helping me form a plan to better feed my toddler. Look into it!

#3 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would definitely keep offering whatever you're eating at meals.  But make sure her snacks are as balanced as possible, too.  I don't remember where I read to offer at least three elements to each meal and two at each snack, but that was really helpful for me in feeling like we had more balance, even when my daughter's food intake was more limited.  I know with my daughter, familiarity is a big deal.  If you're an adventurous eater who loves to cook, I wonder if you make lots of different things all the time for yourself? The foods may look new to your daughter, making her more hesitant to try it. 

#4 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If you want to cut down on the carby snack make sure to compensate by adding more fat (which it looks like she could use anyway). She may be loving the dairy for that reason. Do you eat meat? More protein would curb the carby stuff as well. As to how to get her to eat more protein and fat...is it possible to phase the crackers and whatnot out of the house entirely? If it's there, it will be asked for.

Coconut milk and avocado in a smoothie would be a good way to sneak fat. How about boiled eggs - maybe she'd like peeling them? My DS likes watching the yolk ooze from a sunny side up egg. The more he can be involved with the food the more likely he is to eat it.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 5 Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiro-strano View Post

My daughter is a pretty picky eater. I never stressed about until she weaned about 4 months ago because I'm pregnant and my supply was gone. Now I am a little more concerned. 

Here is the short list of what she will eat:

Yogurt

Cheese

Carrot sticks, raw only

Tortillas

A good variety of fruits

Soy milk

Almond milk

Coconut water

Pasta, plain or with cheese

Chips, crackers, and most empty carb snacks

Sweet breads like scones or muffins

Some cereals

Cashews or almond slivers

Tofu pup hot dogs

This seems pretty balanced to me: she has all 4 food groups in what you mention. I agree with newmamalizzy, I would offer whatever you are eating, but would include some of what she likes as well at every meal. I would make sure that there is bread and butter on the table at every meal; if everything else fails, she won't leave the table hungry. Then, I would completely stop asking / reminding / giving her "the look" and let her eat as much or as little as she wants (not saying that you do that, but kids feel when there is pressure to eat more or less than they do and they resist it).

My dd also loves dairy (and meat) and would not touch a raw vegetable. But she would eat them in soup with a bit of sour cream, she gulps them down.

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page