Need some age-appropriate behavior resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-17-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you have any links?  I remember reading lots about at what ages (ballpark) toddlers were capable of grasping certian concepts, but I've forgotten it all.  I know it's kind of up to the individual child, but it will be easier to explain to my almost-five year old why new baby doesn't/can't do certian things if I can get refreshed on developmental stages. 

Humbly parenting Abraham (1/08), learning to be gentle and creative.  At least I got a good man to hold my hand.  Married to Ben (8/06). 

#2 of 2 Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here are a couple of articles that touch on this subject:

Good Enough Parent

Related Expert Post

And, here's what looks like a good overview of development from the University of Michigan Health System and another from Wisconsin Social Services

And, I'm wondering if your almost five-year-old might like watching the film The Connected Baby as it might give him or her a good sense of baby development. Here's my blog about it. We're not streaming it currently but you can find out more at their site, linked above.

I found it helps including siblings in the pregnancy and birth plans. Here are a couple of reprints in our Mothering Shop on the topic:

How to Introduce a New Sibling

Siblings at Birth

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page