Road trip? Advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The first day we left at nearly 6 pm drove a couple hrs then stopped. We stayed 2 nights in that city. This morning we left around 1030 or so after breakfast and ds running around for approx an hour. He was upset about an hour into the drive. I climbed into the back seat & read to him for 20.

We stopped there about an hour, most of that time he spent at a little playground while we ate lunch. Back in the car he finally took his nap. Woke after an hour. He was crying & not falling back asleep so I clumbed in back again. He help my arm & fell asleep again.

I think we have 3 more hours today before we get to our friends house. I'm a little worried about that but what I'm most worried about is the trip home. We have to be home Wed night sometime. I think its about 6 or 8 hours.

DS is about to turn 2. He wakes around 7 latest, energized of course, & usually naps 2 hours after lunch. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just got back from a looong, multi-state road trip with our 14 month old.  Where is DS's carseat?   Is he facing forward?  Our son was in the middle, facing forward (he's HUGE) and that seemed to help distract him (watching out the windshield).  

So did a couple new toys (wooden truck and frog) that were kept in the car, bubbles (INVALUABLE!  I would blow them whenever he got fidgety :-)) and most of all, lots of snacks.  I normally hate those lil fruit smoothie pouches for all the packaging, but they were really convenient - also, some fresh fruit, cheese sticks in a cooler, crackers, teething biscuits, etc.  And, of course, a sippy cup filled with water (which sometimes was used to amuse himself by dripping water out onto the seat - but hey, it's water, and kids dry!).

We would also put on music for "dance parties" or sing songs.  We stopped fairly frequently (every couple hours) at rest areas where he could be outside, run around, play with sticks, use the potty, etc. We tried not to drive more than 4 hours a day, but broke that rule twice with 8+ hour stretches (one night, one day).  He still did great.

Is your DS nursing?  If mine got sleepy or anxious, nursing him in the car for short stints really helped keep him calm (not the safest option for you, but effective!).  We've taken him on the road throughout infancy, and I find car rides go much smoother if I just commit to riding in the back from the get go.  Then he knows where I'll be, I can nurse before it's a meltdown, etc.

And definitely capitalize on naptime/bedtime whenever possible! (nursing really helped him stay asleep if he started to wake up).  Good luck and safe travels! :-)

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#3 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! Sadly we stopped nursing 2 months ago. He is still rear facing. Has a sippy, 2 books, a toy train & a teddy bear. We're going to get more books, maybe I'll add toy car & bubbles to start.

#4 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Are you opposed to night driving?  If he usually goes to bed at 7 or 8,  maybe you could drive for an hour or so, stop for dinner, then pop him back in and hope he falls asleep for the night? 

Last year my daughter amused herself with a map for, like, an hour on our vacation drive.  A mini magna-doodle was good, and having some "kid" music on the radio helped, too.  She LOVES the Grover CD from Sesame Street Old School. 

And my final suggestion....a lollipop.  That got us almost an hour. 

#5 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 PM

I totally agree with the lollipop idea - it's amazing how exciting they are for a kiddo who has never had one before!  We got almost an hour out of one too - worth every gram of sugar:)  I also give my DD a sheet of stickers.  She peels them off one by one and sticks them into a little notebook (or on her legs, shoes etc.) - this keeps her occupied for way longer than a toy would.  

sk8boarder15 likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The best thIng we ever did for car trips was videos on the iPhone :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Great suggestions, thank you! We actually are playing with the idea of leaving in the afternoon right before nap, stopping at about 3 or 4 hrs for hiking, drive, dinner, then night driving it might work.

#8 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

We regularly take 3 hour trips to go visit family, and the best $30 I've ever spent is a holder for the iPad.  It wraps around the headrest (the front of the back seat, since DS rear faces), we put on a movie (UP is the current favorite), and he'll watch the entire thing.  And this is a kid who HATES the car seat and is NEVER still.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#9 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

So we left after lunch, he slept nearly 3 hrs! Amused himself for a bit. He started to get cranky about the same time DP had to pull over for a business call, so we hung at the gas station restaurant & snacked. We drove another hour then another stop (with playground) to rig an ipad holder to the backseat. He saw a movie, long dinner stop, & he fell asleep half way through Wall E, didn't wake til next morning. Not my favorite thing, but he's too young for games & cant even really see out the window. Thanks everyone!

#10 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 05:47 PM

We are leaving for a 38 hour drive. We are moving from Chicago to Portland. We are doing it over 3 days. 8-12 hours of driving per day. 

We have a backpack with small books and toys: a few cars, a few trains, some animals, a slinky (AWESOME) and we have a DVD player for when things get rough, we aren't using DVDs though we have a jump drive with some kids shows on it. We also love the baby food pouches in the car. 

I like the sucker idea, he's only ever had one (at a parade) I'm sure that would be GREAT for rough situation. We are also traveling with our 5 dogs, and I'm more worried about them then our 22 month old! We also have another adult, so its 3 adults, a toddler, and 5 dogs. We plan on stopping every 2 hours except for nap time. If we fall behind due to long stops, we will just drive after bedtime, M sleeps great in the car. We did this same drive last summer with TWO toddlers. That was kind of rough. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#11 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 AM

I am all about the lollipop thing too--we buy the organic/no artificial dye ones--they are AMAZING for extreme emergencies (it also takes DS about an hour to finish one of them--he's had them a grand total of 4 times ever)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page