iPad for a toddler... need advice, please help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, my 2 year old son likes to play games on my iPad, but I'm afraid that he'll break it or hurt himself. I've seen some youtube videos of babies playing with the iPads in ginormous ipad cases, they could barely lift them. Is there anything that I can put on the ipad that would make it easy to handle and protect it at the same time? Need advice here...please help, will appreciate it! blowkiss.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

My SIL has an ipad for her 2 year old DC and uses one of those big Otter cases. I had a feel of it and think the heavy-ness of the big Otter case is really good for a young child. It seems like it indicates the "expensiveness" of the thing somehow.  Good luck in your search! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

My SIL has an ipad for her 2 year old DC and uses one of those big Otter cases. I had a feel of it and think the heavy-ness of the big Otter case is really good for a young child. It seems like it indicates the "expensiveness" of the thing somehow.  Good luck in your search! 

Thank you for the quick reply! I actually checked out the ottorbox case and found it too bulky and heavy. So far the best case that I found is not even in production yet, but looks very promising. Please check out the Grip Sense case and help me decide if this is a good option. If you think it might be safe enough, I'll pre order one, might as well wait till it's ready as there is nothing better that I found at this point.

Here's a link to it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gripsense/simple-ergonomic-and-protective-grip-sense-epic-ip/posts

They interviewed a principal of a school and he said he wants to order these cases for the student's and staff's ipads, so it might be the way to go. It looks good enough for adults too and makes it easier to read on the iPad, so that's a big bonus.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM

We have one of the griffin survivor cases.  It's protected it from several drops (& being thrown down, hard, too).  Is also somewhat grippy around the edge which helps our littlest hang onto it if she's using it  (it's not slippery and has spaces easy for her to grab - she's 2.5 y/o).  Maybe something else to check out if you hadn't already.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 AM

Another good option is Speck's iGuy case. Its a universal case that fits all iPads and looks like a little man with hands. Its very cute and comes in 3 colors - green, yellow, purple. The case is shock proof and will withstand drops so you can leave your kid playing around with it. 

Check out the full review along with other kids cases on http://www.tablet2cases.com/functions/kids/

Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 PM

My now 3 year old has been using an iPad 1 in the stock Apple case without incident since 1 and half or so. She also uses my iPad 2 with nothing but the Apple screen cover. Honestly I have dropped the iPad 2 more than she has, frequently from a few feet up onto concrete. irked.gif

I guess my point is that all really need is something to angle the screen up (to avoid glare). Unless your child is likely to be actively and intentionally destructive, they stand up to wear and tear pretty well.

toddler.gif

Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My toddler is allowed to use the iPad so long as she's sitting. If she wants it, she sits down and asks for it. I don't think walking around with it is even necessary. It isn't something you can use while walking. If you can get him used to sitting down and then asking for it, you shouldn't need to worry about him dropping it.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM

We have an otterbox, and I was disappointed that it doesnt come with a plastic screen protector like the otterbox for the iphone. I found it to not fit well, the rubber comes off too easily, and its just not as good as the iphone otterboxes. Im thinking of getting one of those griffen cases, so Im glad to read something good about it.

DD is really gentle with the ipad, the biggest problem so far is that my dad uses a stylus with his and when I turned my back she was using a crayon on it :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM

vTech makes cases - I saw them at Toys - R - Us

Aspiring Midwife 3rdtri.gif, Mother to One, Still nursing toddler.gif, and proud lactivist.gif, intactivist.gif, and homebirth.jpg advocate.

User Tag List