what was your potty learning process beyond getting the tots to sit on the potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are at the point where my dd (she is 22 months old) will take herself to the potty to pee IF she is naked from the waist down.  She's been doing this pretty solidly for about a week.  Poops are another story.  She's used to pooping when standing up and will either ask for a diaper or poop on the floor.  I'd like to start putting her in cloth training pants or regular underwear, but I'm not quite sure how to make this transition.  I've done a ton of searching, and I can't really find much beyond the beginning steps.  Sometimes she'll pee in them and sometimes she won't.  Do I just keep in in the training pants and bring tons of spare clothes and hope for the best?  I feel like putting her in a diaper in the middle of the day sort of throws things off.  Sometimes she will sleep naked during naps and will stay dry.  Being naked seems to be key, so I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed with transitioning her to regular underwear.  Thoughts and tips regarding this next step?  

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

We followed a similar process to what it sounds like you're doing, and my daughter did the same thing with poop for a long time.  Because of this, we really didn't start going out and about in undies until fairly recently.  At some point around 25 months, the poop thing just clicked for her, and now I'd say we're in undies  or naked 95% of the time (at 28 months). 

Once she got to the point where your daughter is at, I found the trick was really just giving her time and trust.  I continued to be laid back, and rarely if ever asked her to "try."  We started doing undies/training pants occasionally, and at first she had a lot of accidents in them.  We chose to back off and do more "nakey-butt time" instead of doing the underwear.  At some point the habit of using the potty was so well established that it didn't matter whether or not she was naked.  AND right around 24 months she seemed to develop the ability to "hold it" better AND vastly improved at taking off her pants.  Both of things helped.  I don't think they learn much from having accidents in underwear - other than that it's really annoying to get cleaned up after them, which I think is kind of discouraging.  After all, one of the prime motivations for pottying is that it's so fast and fuss-free for the child.  At least that's been our experience. 

Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM

My son would pee on the potty regularly around 20 months so we started kinda early.  We started training pants around 21 months and just took him to the potty every half hour or so and slowly lengthened the time. I did do nakey time in the beginning but he pooed on the floor a few times and I figured I'd rather clean out the undies so I put him in them.  It has worked well for us. He is now 22 1/2 months and still has accidents occasionally, usually in the evening after he has been drinking more throughout the day and if we're outside.  He is in a diaper at nighttime, though he may go back into one for naps because he has been wetting again this week during naps which he wasn't previously.  He still does not poo on the potty so we do put him in a diaper if we go out, depending on where it is and how far from home, etc.  His poos are not solid so it can be a real mess.  My MIL did buy us 2 pair of Blueberry trainers which are super-nice and absorbent so we tend to use those for our outings.  Not a diaper but more likely to contain a mess- pee or poo.

Colorclash- that's great that your daughter knows when she needs to poo.  Our son doesn't seem to, so that is still our struggle/ MESS

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my 29 month old is great with pooping on the toilet - she disliked going in her diaper (several months ago) so I put her on the toilet. Although, if she is outside and has to go, she will squat. haha.

peeing is the harder part for us. she is now telling me when she has peed in her diaper and she wants a new one. when we use underwear, she usually just pees in them. so the trick for us is to go naked. (will be trying that this weekend - we've been so busy its been hard to find time to try several days with no diaper or underwear). But Im hopeful, the bunch of times times she has been naked she is more inclined to hold the pee. we can go swimming with a regular bathing suit and she holds pee and after, will go on the toilet. ill just remind her, in a sing songy voice, to "not pee in the pool", or "dont pee on the car seat" or "dont pee on the sofa"...when she is without diaper and she repeats this or she will say it on her own now. she has only once or twice actually asked to sit on the toilet to go pee...its a slow process, but this weekend will be telling.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD is 24 months old, she has no inkling of wanting to go to the potty on her potty except that she says "pee-pee potty" but she just wants to get past the gate so she can run into the computer room. LOL - I read some people bring the potty into the living room but if I did this she'd use it as a stool and climb up on everything. So no-go there. How did you all start the process when the potty needs to stay in the bathroom? She'll sit on her potty for a brief second if I'm there but just for fun, not to do anything or even try.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input!  What a difference a few days make.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

We chose to back off and do more "nakey-butt time" instead of doing the underwear.  At some point the habit of using the potty was so well established that it didn't matter whether or not she was naked.  AND right around 24 months she seemed to develop the ability to "hold it" better AND vastly improved at taking off her pants.  

First off, letting her get into the habit of going in the potty made so much sense to me.  I never thought about this whole process as forming a habit, but it totally is.  So we've done a TON of nakey time (whenever we are home) and it has really helped.  She just goes to the potty whenever she needs to and then lets me know so I can dump it into the big toilet. I was still hung up on the whole going out in public thing.  I bought a foldable potty that you can either put on the floor or on the toilet seat, for the express purpose of using it while out and about.  Since DD doesn't tell me she has to go at home, she doesn't like it when I ask her to try, and she doesn't like to sit up on the big toilet at home, I didn't really think that she would be ready for using the portable potty in public restrooms.  We decided to give it a go anyways and it worked! I took her to the bathroom in a restaurant, and put her on the potty, but she didn't go.  At the end of our meal, she pointed to the bathroom, so we went to the restroom and I put her on the potty and she went! I was so surprised, cause that's not how it happens at home. And then it dawned on me.  I just have to offer the potty to her every chance I get while out and about.  It is so obvious I can't believe that I couldn't figure it out.  Today we ran errands for a couple hours and she was dry the whole time!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegal View Post

My DD is 24 months old, she has no inkling of wanting to go to the potty on her potty except that she says "pee-pee potty" but she just wants to get past the gate so she can run into the computer room. LOL - I read some people bring the potty into the living room but if I did this she'd use it as a stool and climb up on everything. So no-go there. How did you all start the process when the potty needs to stay in the bathroom? She'll sit on her potty for a brief second if I'm there but just for fun, not to do anything or even try.

I originally kept the potty in the bathroom, but she would just get really angry every time I suggested that we go to the potty.  I stopped doing that, but I would make a big deal about going when I went. Sometimes she would follow me in to the bathroom and some of those times she would sit on the potty but only for a second, or she would get mad that I was going to the bathroom without her even though she didn't want to go (yay for toddlers!).  So I backed off from the whole business all together, but I moved the potty into our living room just so it was around and she could get used to it.  For awhile the potty would travel around back and forth between the living room and the bathroom.  DD would actually carry it into the bathroom when I was in there and sit down for a bit, but it was not a regular thing.  The potty I bought for her actually converts into a stool and it comes apart easily and DH and I made the rookie mistake of showing her that possibility.  For the first week that we had it she was constantly taking it apart to stand on.  We had to remind her several times that it wasn't for standing on, etc etc and I think she forgot about that "feature".  Could you maybe keep the potty in the living room with close supervision only when you are there too?  Also, it sounds like there is a baby gate that blocks the bathroom.  Maybe you can move the gate so she has more independent access to the bathroom.  For us, letting DD have the control of when to pee (while at home) made a HUGE difference.  

Melissa

User Tag List