Potty Learning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 year old son is exhibiting all signs to wanting to potty learn, problem is... he's terrified of the potty he picked and of the toilet -.- By terrified, I mean once he gets down he is shaking, crying, and won't let go of me me for an hour. However, he tells me when he's peeing or pooping, IMMEDIATELY takes off diapers or underwear if he goes(doesn't matter if we are at home or in the middle of Wal-Mart, he will find a way to get that off of him, he watches me go and says "Mommy, pee pee potty yay!", etc. The only hurdle is getting him to take the next step to a potty, which is where I'm lost. My daughter was a breeze to train, so this is all new. 

My carpet and I would appreciate all input and advice for this :) 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 2 Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am taking a slow and gentle approach potty training my 2 yr old son and it is working well.  If he is not interested in the potty then we let it go for days and days until he slowly gets interested again. I am first focusing on him being aware of when he has to pee and giving him the opportunity to pee in the potty or outside on the grass or sometimes in the bathtub if he needs to! Or in his diaper. I think they have to learn both the feeling of knowing when to go and also aiming and all that so I don't worry if he doesn't get it all too quickly!

We like the baby bjorn potty maybe you could get that one for your son.

If he is scared I would say don't push it and do try to make it as non-scary of an experience as you can. good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page