Need recommendations for on-the-go water bottle - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My boy is 26 months and has outgrown the sippy cup phase. He drinks from real glasses at home. What I am looking for is a suitable bottle to carry water around in when we are out and about. Here are my requirements:

~ #1 most basic is that it's 100% leakproof! I have tried the Safe Sippy and found it was not leakproof at all...they provided a plug for that but who wants to be unscrewing and opening the water bottle every five minutes and on the train, etc...?? Plus, when I did use the plug, it fell out and was useless. We used the Thermos Foogo for awhile and loved it, but then I noticed mold growing in the straw part (eeeeeewwwww!) and even with a long toothpick it was nearly impossible to clean in that part. Plus, the button closure broke last week and I had to throw it out. Hence the search for a new alternative.

~ I prefer something stainless steel or even glass, but BPA free plastic would do. Again, leakproof is the main quality I need.

~ Would be great if it had some sort of spout or straw for drinking on the go (sippy-style), but he can drink from normal water bottles (which I have been using but really don't like the plastic, plus you are only supposed to reuse them so many times), and I also carry around a little cup for him. Still, I loved the straw on the Foogo even though it was impossible to clean.

What do you use? TIA! love.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The camelback kids water bottles are what we use.  They are bpa free plastic with a lid/straw.  The best part about them is that in order to suck the water up the straw the straw top needs to be bit while they suck--this means that my 27 month old has not yet figured out how to pour water out of them.  In fact, we keep one of them in his bed at night.  We run the straws/silicon spout through the dishwasher (the whole thing is dishwasher safe).  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM

I use a Rubbermaid bpa free plastic bottle. It has a circular opening to drink from with a flip top for quick access. The top also unscrews for thorough cleaning or if you want to put ice in it. There's another model with the flip up straw but I had to go with the round opening. DD ALWAYS wants mommy's water even if I offer her sippy/straw cup. She is 16 months old and is a huge mimic. I got myself the 32 oz bottle and her the 14 oz in the same colour. They have identical tops, mine just has a bigger, heavier bottle. I have to supervise or she can just pour it out but she can handle it fine. This way at least I get my own lol.
#4 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM

We love the Foogo, but have never had the mold issue you and others have. I take apart the lid and run the silicone parts through the dishwasher occasionally, as well as cleaning them out with a pipe cleaner. I don't have to do that often, though. We only use it for water.

Our second favorite is the Camelbak. They're the only two I've found that don't leak.

All of our stainless bottles from Klean Kanteen with sports or sippy tops leak terribly.  A friend of mine's solution is to carry the bottle around with the screw top on, then change it for a sports top once they're out. I think that is too complicated for me.

#5 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 AM

I prefer the foogo thermoses too. I put the whole thing in the dishwasher, and I don't put the pieces back together until right before we use it to prevent mold. I just keep a basket in my dishwasher for washing small items and make sure the straws are standing up. I even put milk in mine with ice, and as long as they are rinsed right away, they come out fine. Beyond that, I use nalgene water bottles, but those aren't stainless.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 PM

i got two nalgene kids water bottles, zippy style this summer and have really loved them, the inner valve can be removed later when they get over wanting to drip it all out, and it has a nice carry ring.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm a Klean Kanteen fan myself!
#8 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

The camelback kids water bottles are what we use.  They are bpa free plastic with a lid/straw.  The best part about them is that in order to suck the water up the straw the straw top needs to be bit while they suck--this means that my 27 month old has not yet figured out how to pour water out of them.  In fact, we keep one of them in his bed at night.  We run the straws/silicon spout through the dishwasher (the whole thing is dishwasher safe).  

We use these too!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We use camelbak as well but we take the straw out as LO likes to tip the bottle up to drink. We pull it apart and put the whole lot in the dishwasher although one did go a slightly odd shape when we put it on the bottom shelf.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 17 Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I just ordered a Camelbak. What I Iearned from the Foogo: I've gotta clean any removable parts like straws or vents (not sure what parts the Camelbak has) either with a pipecleaner and baking soda or viegar, or I just read in one of the Amazon reviews that you can soak them in those fizzy denture cleaners to get in all the nooks! In any case, we did keep the Foogo after the mold incident and a thorough cleaning....but it broke! If I were in the States (where I bought it) I would send it back for replacement (I think Thermos offers that)....but I live in the EU and the shipping costs alone would be more than just buying a new one, so not worth it.

Thanks again!!

Mama since 2010
#11 of 17 Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM

thermos foogoos for us too. Or the Funtainer ones with the characters. Hate the characters but they are 2 oz bigger than the foogoos.

I wash my thermoses by hand, and use a bottle nipple brush for the straws. Never a mold problem.

I've heard you can order replacement straws and lids directly from thermos, but I haven't tried yet. The insulated ones are $15-20 so when our button broke, I bought a non-insulated one for 5.99. The lids are interchangeable.

For winter or bumming around our yard (no need to stay cold) we love the Munchkin flip straw ones. We have 4 and they never ever leak, even when my 1yo tries so hard. I put all parts in the dishwasher, except the straws, which i also wash with a nipple brush. Reusable straw skeeve me out, so I'm pretty on top of keeping them clean.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Mighty-Straw-2-Pack-Colors/dp/B001QXCF0S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344349895&sr=8-4&keywords=munchkin+straw

#12 of 17 Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#13 of 17 Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

So the Camelbak Kid's bottle arrived today and we took it for a test run. It's awesome! Totally leak proof and seems like it'll last forever. It has a lifetime guarantee and it's easy to order a new set of straws and valves if they get old.

My question is: how the heck does one keep mold from growing inside that spout? I did get some tiny nozzle brushes to clean it with, but what causes mold is the trapped moisture after cleaning! For other stuff like re-used plastic sandwich bags or glass jars or plastic containers, I put a paper towel inside for storage as that will absorb any excess moisture. But that won't fit in this odd-shaped nozzle. I know I can rinse with vinegar, maybe that will help, but I sure don't want that taste to linger so I guess I'd have to really rinse well after the vinegar rinse.

Any other ideas? How do you keep your sippy spouts and straws from getting moldy? Is there any way to really get them completely dry inside? Thanks again!!

Mama since 2010
#14 of 17 Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM

the bite valve can be boiled--it's medical grade silicon

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had a mold problem with the fogoo too and only ever use cups with water on the go. We do love the fogoo thermos.

We use Siggs with no issue, ever. You do need to separate the lid to wash it which I didn't know for awhile. 

#16 of 17 Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artekah View Post

I'm a Klean Kanteen fan myself!

Me too!  After trying many, many water bottles, including Sigg, this is now the only brand I will buy.  Only two pieces, super easy to clean, ice cubes fit.   I give my kids the sport tops, which do leak.  But they do have a sippy top too...not sure if it leaks.  We only put water in them, so I don't mind if they leak a little.

Mama to three

#17 of 17 Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

the bite valve can be boiled--it's medical grade silicon

Ooooh, thanks for the tip! Will do!

Mama since 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page