Signs of potty learning? Or have I "missed the window" for now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So for a while a couple months ago, my 23-mo-old DD was telling me when she had to poop or pee, and asking to use the potty. We bought her a small potty and she used it a few times, sometimes just to sit, sometimes to actually go pee or poop. But we didn't push it at all.

Lately, she has stopped asking, and stopped telling us when she has to go-- she just goes. Yesterday she took off her diaper and then just peed all over the floor. SIGH. I asked her why she didn't tell me she had to go and she just looked at me blankly, like, "What are you so worked up about?" :)

Any suggestions? Her "readiness" signs have clearly cooled off a bit and I don't want to push, but it would sure be nice to get this training thing rolling.

#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Telling you when she has to go is really the final piece of the puzzle for most kids. She is at a good age to PL and she has good awareness. She now needs structure and support from you to put the pieces together. There are different methods you can use, the naked method, the timer method, etc. if you want to keep diapers for a while then you could start incorporating the potty into diaper changes. If I were in your shoes, I would read up on methods, choose one and get started.
#3 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM

She's ready. Just do it! She hasn't made the connection that the floor isn't the appropriate place. We did lots of nakie time plus for a while letting DS outside like the dog to do his thing. LOL

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

No I don't think you missed the opportunity. My neighbors and a friend said "Oh, he is ready, seize the opportunity!"

Well, he was ready to start, but once he did he quickly realized, within three days he was done and over it. He was successful, conquered the potty and now back to normal life.....and old familiar diapers. That was at 18 months. I wasn't about to push it, that effort on his behalf and sheer enthusiasm was much more than I had ever hoped for. We would just revisit it when he was ready.

So between 18-32 months, lots of naked time, lots of accidents and some success. Not a big deal, I knew he would do it on his own when he was emotionally ready.

At 32 months, he did it on his own, with no urging just a wish to be like mom and dad. He is reliable at home. We'll potty learn outside the home, once we conquer his fear of public bathrooms. All in sweet time.

I believe it was Norma Baumgarten (Mothering Your Nursing Toddler) who said .......weaning and potty training happen easily when the child is ready. So far she seems right, at least from my one experience.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page