2yo food battles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He will ask me for something to eat, and then take a bite or two and not want it anymore. He won't finish it. I have refused to give him anything else, and he doesn't care. I worry about him eating enough. Any advice?

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My toddler does this too. TBH I dont worry too much about her eating enough though. She has plenty of energy, sleeps well and is gaining weight and doesn't have any specific health issues so I feel pretty confident that she's getting enough.

To avoid waste I only give a very small amount of the requested food at a time. I'm happy to give more if she finishes the first serve and wants more. If its something which will keep well like yoghurt or pasta etc I put the uneaten portion in the fridge for another time. Not in a "you'll eat this for every meal until its gone" way but if she has a bowl of yoghurt then there's not much point throwing it out and serving another bowl a few hours later when she asks again. And sometimes I end up eating her leftovers as a snack which works well too.

To avoid conflict and frustration I don't get cross with her for not eating something g she's asked for. I don't want food to be a battleground for us. I tell myself she is still learning her likes, dislikes and body's cues regarding hunger and thirst. I do set boundaries though and if she hasn't eaten something she's asked for then I don't make anything else or I'll offer one other alternative or suggest a drink instead. If this results in upset then I treat it like any other tears or tantrum - empathy, comfort and distraction :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page