Question about shifting bedtime to earlier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 23 month old DD used to go to bed right away at 8pm and sleep until 7/8am, through the night. If you've read my toddler bed thread you know that is SO not the case at all any more. So she is averaging 8-9 hours of sleep a night now, interrupted, and getting up at 5:30/6am.

My question is this: If we put her to bed earlier, say sleeping by 7pm, does that usually mean that the child just wakes up an hour earlier? Or do they still usually sleep till their usual wake up time? I'm just trying to get the poor dear more sleep but I can't wake up at 4:30 am with her for the day. I have -severe- sleep issues myself.

Thanks for your insight!

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I would give it a try.  If I remember correctly, it's taking your daughter a lot longer to fall asleep than usual lately?  So I think starting lights out by 6:30 or 7 may not be a bad idea.  It may be that she's getting overtired as she struggles to get used to her new bed.  My DD seems to have a pre-programmed wake-up time of 6:15 or so.  Since 4 or 5 months old, she has tended to wake up at that time, no matter what her sleep schedule is otherwise.  I can put her to bed early, late...doesn't seem to matter.  I would guess that even with a much earlier bedtime, she won't wake before 5:30/6 - but don't quote me on that :) 

#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i know a gentle sleep coach that is always saying over and over that for most kids a slowly moved earlier bed time rarely moves the wake time and sometime moves it to later in the morning!  i would give it a go

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree- the wake up time seems to usually remain consistent, and the bed time is what you can vary. My 23 month old goes to bed at 6 pm (I know!) but he sleeps til 7 am, so I'm not gonna question it. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page