Mothering Forum banner

sahm's of toddlers- when do you work out?

2K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  TSomm 
#1 ·
I have not fit it in yet-! And I am still 25 lbs over weight from my pre pregnancy weight. I feel like I am still fully giving most of my time over to taking care of ds who is 2 and a 1/2. somehow I cannot fit working out into my day!

I cant do it before dh goes to work as he leaves early and I am slow at waking up.

I take ds for walks and to the park but that doesn't really give me solid cardo time.

I get a good 2+hour nap in the middle of the day from ds- but I have to stya inside or just in my yard. I guess this is the time I shoudl be working out. But it is such a whole new paradigm for me. Before ds I was just active all day long and never really did specific work outs-

I guess I need to figure out something during ds's nap that I will actually do and enjoy!

Some options: I have the 30 day shred dvd which I have yet to try, partially because I am scared the noise will wake up ds and also I just havent' gotten the momentum up.

I could get a stationary bike.

Or, when dh gets home at 5pm I could work ou but oh boy at that time I just want to relax---

so when do you work out?

do you have childcare so you can work out?

there are no gyms with childcare near me.

I have never worked out in a gym though I would do a spinning class or something.

I am just so lethargic from putting all my attnetion away from me and onto my baby-toddler.

I am looking for insipration to get started on a work out routine and how to fit it in.

I also have a bike I need to get into a shop hich I could ride sometimes.

So tell me about how you fit it in or share with me how you don't fit it in either and it is okay so I will feel less bad about it!

I Am ready to get fit but I can't seem to start. ideas to inspire me please?

See less See more
#2 ·
I HIGHLY encourage you to look at HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training). They are very intense, but very short and infrequent (I do 1-2x/week) workouts. It produces much less stress on your body, produces less cortisol, but gives you all the same benefits of a more time consuming cardio regimen.

I do www.bodyrock.tv, or you can google "crossfit at home" for bodyweight workouts that don't require equipment. The bodyrock workouts are 12 minutes long, and if I pop in a video (for shame, I know) I don't even have to wait for nap time to get it done. And I honestly do see results doing it just twice a week. 24 minutes a week - pretty doable! For me, trying to commit to anything more than that is setting myself up for failure. I can stick with this consistently. Trying to do a forty minute video four times a week is just not going to happen.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I have a 17 month old and stay at home with her. She's very "helpful" around the house so the only time I can get anything done around the house is naptime and after bedtime. I got a week trial membership at a nearby gym and decided to go after bedtime. Boy it was a disaster. She nurses to sleep and each time I went she was up before I was halfway done and was in absolute hysterics (despite DH's best efforts) by the time I got home and wailed another 20 to 30 minutes in my arms before she would calm down enough to nurse.
eyesroll.gif

We decided to try me leaving at naptime which has gone better but since DH is a teacher and will be going back to work very shortly, that won't be an option for long. I decided not to join that particular gym because it was overcrowded with annoying 20-something guys and there was never enough equipment to go around. I was really looking forward to it and felt great after each trip (from the workout and the guaranteed shower without toys) but it wasn't a good fit. I'm trying to see if maybe I can find another gym to get into better shape before I go back to karate.... But it all seems impossible right now with velcrochild. I can't imagine leaving her in a daycare setting at the gym right now.... It would be horrible at first. Sorry, not much inspiration here, more commiseration. I've always been on the heavy side but I've definitely been in much better shape than this. I hear you and so feel your frustration. I'm going to try to get her outside more and see if I can think of fun, physical games for us together. She has a ton of energy and maybe finding a fun activity will force me to keep up with her rather than just walk along and take things out of her mouth lol.

#4 ·
So today I found out there is a spinning class in my town at a couple evenings a week. Dh gets home in time that I could go to that. I am going to try one even though it is not my ideal time!

I also just brought my bike into the shop to get road ready.

I am going to look into the suggestions above as well as maybe try the 30 day shred.(at least one time to see if I can do it!)

I weighed myself today and I way even more than I did a few months ago!!!! argh! More than I have ever weighed yet somehow I have been in denial about it. It is simply because I am not able to move around like I used to. I am excited to try some options and hopefully start doing something. I will let you all know and am curious for more responses if anyone has them.

#6 ·
I have been in the same boat as you -- feeling frustrated with a toddler who needs lots of attention and no options for "me time" to work in fitness. She doesn't nap during the day except in my lap. Dh works hours that are too long to let me do anything in the evening, and if I tried to get up without her in the morning, she always woke up.

The main thing I've done that helped was to get a child seat for my bike. That way, I don't have to wait for the (extremely rare) time when I was child-free to take a ride. My toddler loves riding on the back of my bike.

I'm still feeling the need for some dedicated fitness time. It's taken a while, but I finally convinced dh that a membership to the YMCA was an important use of our limited funds. The Y has childcare so I can take classes, swim, whatever. I'm really looking forward to it. Do you have a YMCA anywhere near?

The other thing I was considering doing, now that she is older, is to let her "join in" on home workouts. Yoga, pilates, really any kind of video workout might be fun for a toddler to do, too.

#8 ·
Snapdragon, I feel you. We're in exactly the same position. I feel like life is like a puzzle with one too many pieces. If I focus on exercise, the house falls apart. If I focus on the house, I never see any friends. If I see friends, we stop eating well. But, man, would I ever like to lose this 15 lbs that I'm hanging on to.

Now that the weather's cooling down a bit, I hope to start doing more hiking with my daughter again. She likes that, and we can alternate between her walking and me carrying her so both of us get some good walking in. Is there anything like that you could do?

Also, if it's any help, I've started having some success by committing to 5 minutes a day of cardio (thank you YouTube). I find that lately I try to overhaul my life all in one big go and I get burned out. 5 minutes a day. I can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post

I walk every morning with DS in the stroller. I bring a snack and water for him and he picks out a toy to bring. I walk about 4-5 miles and it takes me about 90 min. We started doing this when he was about 2.
But... do you worry about the inactive time for your toddler? We probably take at least one drive each day, and my daughter doesn't nap so I generally let her watch a show during the day, too. Whenever I consider walking for fitness with her, I worry about her time spent sitting in the stroller.

#9 ·
I do the 30 day shred in the morning. It's great because it's only 20 minutes. I try to do it before the girls wake up, but usually they come out while I am in the middle of it. They like to watch me and do some of the moves along with me. My 4 year old keeps me honest by pointing out when I am not doing what they girls on the video are doing. If I can't get it in in the morning, I will workout late evening after dinner before bedtime.

#10 ·
Before we took in these babies I had a pretty good workout routine with my toddler. 2-3 days per week I would go to the gym while he was at preschool or when my husband would watch him. Or I would run with him in the jogging stroller. 1 day a week I went to a toddler play area and do active play with him. Sometimes I go swimming with him (less workout for me but good for him). Sometimes I go hiking with him.

Right now though, it's so hot and these babies are so little, I'm having a hard time fitting it in. Sometimes I do workout videos but not often enough
greensad.gif

#12 ·
I go to Jazzercise in the evenings and DH watches DS. They do have childcare but DS doesn't do well with anyone other than family so right now, I just go when DH is home. I LOVE it!

#13 ·
Whst about getting a jogging stroller and go jogging? I did that when it was just dd1 and it still works now that I have the two girls.... I don't know what I will do in Feb when #3 arrives. I also do videos and have the girls do it with me. I have tiny weights for them.... it isn't the best work out but I figure it is better than nothing...

Oh, is there a stroller strides in your area? It is a really good workout. I was amazed.

#14 ·
It's not easy,... I feel for you. When DS was smaller and napping 3x/day, I did the P90X workouts. It took time than the Shred videos mentioned earlier (more like >1 hr/day), but I liked feeling the endorphins and having something to plan my day around that was for me. We just moved, and I joined a new gym that I can bring DS to (small, climbing gym). He plays there with me while I work out a couple times a week. Not my most intense workouts, but a good excursion for us both. I also have a yoga class that my DH watches DS for... it's on Sat AM, so I'm not trying to escape during nap/nighttime, which for me is frustrating and rarely works.

Not sure if any of that is a help. My only advice is to do SOMETHING. 20 sit-ups, plank for a minute, walk around the block... get a little momentum going, and the whole workout thing gets a little easier.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

But... do you worry about the inactive time for your toddler? We probably take at least one drive each day, and my daughter doesn't nap so I generally let her watch a show during the day, too. Whenever I consider walking for fitness with her, I worry about her time spent sitting in the stroller.
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. Do you mean, he's not being active during that time? Or he's not being stimulated?

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

MarieP- How do you like the 30 day shred? Are you having success with it? Is it hard, or is it ok once you get used to it?

I feel so out of shape that I am afraid to even try it-! But I like that I can do it while ds naps and that it is only 20 minutes.
I like it. Jillian can be a little annoying, but it's a good workout. It has 3 levels, so you stay on the level until you feel ready to move up. I alternate it with running.

#17 ·
What about weights (little dumbells), sit ups, pushups, etc during his nap time and a jogging stroller or bike and trailer for some cardio. And yoga once a week in the evening, when your husband is home.

(I have to fit it in with kids around - and the above are some of the things I have managed, although I have not lost the last 20 pounds yet. And yoga, I do at lunch time / work break)

Definitely join the spinning class - with my first born I had the opportunity to join a pilates class twice a week and I think that was key in getting my form back.

#18 ·
I do P90X workouts in the early morning before DS wakes up at around 6:30 am. If DS wakes up with me (his wakeup times vary), then I give him some breakfast, pull out his high chair to the living room, so he can eat while he watches me workout. He enjoys watching me workout. I sometimes hear him laugh when I do certain moves. lol. I also give him some toys to play with if I notice him getting bored of his breakfast.

#20 ·
well, it is not a true kind of work out but it's the best that can happen right now ... every morning after breakfast and during playtime, before lunch!

it's with the boys! they become part of the work out and make really good weights! :)

we also walk and do yoga. I find yoga is really beneficial for them and learning a habit of exercise can't hurt either.

:)

#21 ·
I do deadlifting/squats/kettle bells for 30 mins 3 x per week. (Different one each day)

LOVE it.

And although I didn't need to lose weight it does burn a crap load of calories by just having extra muscle as you do your regular movement throughout the day too.

Plus, gives me a nice butt lol.

I go at 6:30 while my hubby and daughter are still asleep. I am so not a morning person but this is the only time I can do it, I don't like using my evening time to go as I have a home business I usually work then, plus I like to see my husband in the evenings.

#22 ·
This is the challenge of guys and gals alike. What worked for my wife and I (as well as occupying the childern) was to plan a daily walking event. You would be surprised to see what 30 minutes out and about can do for fitness and burning off that extra energy. Great for the mind as well!

#23 ·
My DD is not quite a toddler yet (1 year old tomorrow, woo hoo!!) but I can tell you what I do. I have to get a lot of exercise to control my blood sugar, and it's hard with a baby. So here is what I do:

--Every day, no matter how hot or cold or rainy or whatever, we go for a walk (or a bike ride--we recently got a bike seat for her that goes on the front of my bike). Usually she is in the carrier because she likes it (extra workout for me!) rather than the stroller, but whatever. When she can walk, I'm thinking she'll walk as far as she wants and then I'll carry her the rest of the way. We try to go for at least 30 minutes, often a lot longer. Or we go twice. Walks are great because we get out and about (not bored at home), and either we have a destination (like a park or farmer's market or store) or we just wander around and see what we can see. DD loves seeing dogs and cats and flags on houses and people walking and cars going by. It's a great way to pass time and it may not feel like much exercise, but even just 30 minutes a day really adds up.

--I try to do something "outside"-y with DD at least twice a day. So on cold days we usually go for two walks. On hot days we might go for a bike ride in the morning and a swim in the afternoon (or whatever). Heck, any little bit helps, and she loves to be doing stuff out and about. She'd be outside doing stuff all day except for naps and eating if we could.

--My DH knows that the number one thing I want him to help me with is that on weekend mornings, I want to work out for 30 minutes. Each weekend day right after breakfast I go and do the stationary bike for 30 minutes. Having a set time makes it easier--we picked a time when DD is usually pretty happy and DH is still lounging around so he's not champing at the bit wanting to get out of the house and do something. And mornings it's easier to motivate myself to work out than evenings, and then I get to feel good all day.

--My mother comes to visit once a week or so and I almost always ask her if she'll play with the baby while I work out for 30 minutes.

--Each day when the baby naps (she is a very bad sleeper, sadly) I do some pushups and ab exercises.

--Eventually I plan to get a stationary bike of my own, because I like it. (Can read while doing it so it doesn't hurt so much!)

--My dream is to find another stay-at-home mom friend who wants to trade babysitting/workout time with me, so we can each work out for 20 minutes or so while the other watches both babies. But I have yet to find such a dream friend. :)

--I have made a resolution that if a day occurs in which I get no exercise--it's rare but sometimes happens when we have a lot of company, or somebody's sick--I will not beat myself up about it. That helps a lot too.

I think you should stop worrying about whether you're getting a "really solid workout" and just do stuff. Lots of outdoor stuff. Your kid will like it, and it can't but help you! And then if you can get your DH to take the kiddo while you do your exercise DVD twice a week, that's great too. But please don't beat yourself up because you're not getting a "solid workout". You can get a lot of exercise without being super hardcore about it.

#24 ·
When my youngest son was about 1 & 1/2 I started working out most days of the week in the morning as soon as I was done feeding him and he was a happy boy. Or I would workout when he went down for a nap. I made the best of the time that I had available to me to workout. I never went to a club or a Y, just went to my basement put in a DVD and pressed play. Before I knew it I would be working out with the program. I really enjoyed Ten Minute Trainers because it would only take 15-35 minutes depending on how many workouts I did that day. Then I moved onto Insanity where when I spent 35 minutes working out I burned almost 500 calories. Doing Insanity helped me lose about 40lbs over 6 months. The most important thing that you have to remember when time is short and you don't think you have time to workout is that you have to make YOU a Priority. If YOU are not doing good then everything else goes downhill. Your kids get use to you working out. They realize that Mommy is a better Mommy when she gets her workouts in. I know it's hard, but you can do it.

#25 ·
I didn't get a chance to read all the reply's so forgive me if my post is redundant :)

I don't have any set work out that I do, or a set time each day that I dedicate to exercise. I just try to get my heart rate up every day as often as I can. I have a high energy dog that requires at least 2 jogs a day. I put my toddler in the jogging stroller, leash up the dog, and we're off every morning before my shower. Dh puts our boys to bed at night, so during that time I go out with the dog again.

Whenever we're at a park, I chase my kids around, throw them in the air, play basketball, go on the monkey bars, etc. I just try to always be moving throughout the day. If we can walk somewhere, we do. At home, I often bench press my kids lol. They love it! We also have races cleaning windows, vacuuming, etc. My yard is a half acre and I bought a reel mower to cut the grass. Lots of exercise!

In the winter, we still go outside a lot. The dog needs his jogs rain or shine :) We also have an xbox kinect with a couple of exercise games that are fun. The biggest loser and dance dance revolution. They're nice to have on foul weather days.

HTH!

#26 ·
A couple of times a week DW stays home in the morning with the kiddo so I can run with friends...I find by having a couple of more demanding obligatory workouts (obligatory b/c I'm meeting people) I make myself fit in at least one other run (so that I'm not out of shape for the runs with other people!) So, this week--ran 3 with my running group on the weekend, 4 pushing the jogging stroller another day and then ran 6 another with my weekly running buddy. My goal is three runs a week--I've usually run and returned home at some point between 7am and 9am depending on the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.