Toddler says 'no' for both yes and no - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my ds2 is 20-months-old and is a late talker - he has about 5-6 words or sounds for specific things so far. (His brother had just one word at this age and a language explosion when he was 2 so I'm not particularly worried about it.) Of course, one of those words is 'no'! :) But he uses it for yes and no, which is really confusing!! Any suggestions on how to help him embrace the word 'yes'?!

THanks!

#2 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

My DC also learned "no" first and it was important to me that she also learn "yes". Something about being positive and etc. smile.gif  What we did was just really emphasize the word "yes". So if she wanted to nurse I would say, "Boobie, yes? Yes? Boobie, yes?" and I'd wait a second for her to nod -- not too long, and not to the point of frustration at all but just a second or two. Eventually, "yes" became one of her favorite words. Actually, now I think "yes" may also mean "I want" but we'll deal with that later. 

I remember reading that it's totally developmental for them to do this, fyi -- just in case you were concerned. Something to do with over using words first in the process of learning words, which they then narrow down. 

Good luck! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 05:40 PM

My 17 month old has done this for a while. She's flirting with stopping. She will say no and mean it and not say anything for yes. I handle it by emphasizing "yes", like pp has done. I'd ask "would you like some water?" she'd say "no" but reach for the cup. As I handed her the cup, I'd say "yes, you would like water. Yes!" it seems to be helping at least so far with making no mean no. She still does it sometimes but has moved on to practicing other sounds. She's doing a similar thing with "meow". If I ask her "what does the doggie say?", she will say "oof" but if we see a dog IRL(especially big dogs) then she always say "meow meow". lol
I think it's just the way they learn.... Every bird says "lidooooo" (her best impression of a rooster crowing). From what our dr said, at this stage the important thing is that they try to make the sounds. The details and meanings come later. Hth
#4 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I do the same so far, saying yes to him when he means yes, but it doesn't seem to be helping much - guess I just need to be patient! :) He does something similar with animals - all animals are 'baa' and say 'oof' - but it's not frustrating for either of us in those cases! I'll try to be more patient, heh.

Cheers!

#5 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 11:11 PM

My son seemed to get it confused too when he first started talking.  He is speaking in short phrases now and doesn't confuse no with yes anymore.  He still confuses the word "juice" with "milk," but I try not to stress about it since part of it is memorization and constant repetition.  The more we practice saying things the better he gets at understanding how to correctly communicate with me in a way I understand too.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdehoff-us View Post

My son seemed to get it confused too when he first started talking.  He is speaking in short phrases now and doesn't confuse no with yes anymore.  He still confuses the word "juice" with "milk," but I try not to stress about it since part of it is memorization and constant repetition.  The more we practice saying things the better he gets at understanding how to correctly communicate with me in a way I understand too.

I cant offer advice, but we are so there with the muddled words - one that springs to mind is 'feet' being always referred to as 'shoes' (so when I say lets go get your shoes he looks at me like im CRAZY, or when he stubbs his toe he says 'oww shoes!' It makes me smile, I dont correct to often because he just debates right back at me :)

me, 25 dh, 25
awesome ds, 3
waiting and hoping on another ray of sunshine ttc #2 since 2013
#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It's really common and totally normal. :) One thing to do is teach your kids the signs for yes and no. They can differentiate that motion much earlier than they can differentiate the words. My kids have both been prolific signers long before 18 months. I LOVE SIGNING. We don't have a lot of tantrums because we can "talk" really early.

Signs: http://www.aslpro.com/

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#8 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

My DS is the same way, both in that he is limitedly verbal (21mo and maybe 10 or so words) and mixing up yes and no - except that he automatically says yes.  Or, rather, "uh-huh."  Ask if he wants something, like a drink, and he says uh-huh, then actually show him the cup, and he says no.  

I remember my nephew doing the same thing when he was about 2.  "Do you want another french fry?"  "NO!"  (hold up fry) "Do you want this french fry?"  "YES!"

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page