26 month old & PLing regression - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started PLing in June. After a rough 2 weeks, DS got the hang of it. We didn't have any accidents until the last 2 weeks. Now it is like he will pee at least a little in his underwear before letting me know that he has to go, or he will just flat out pee in his pants. 
I am pregnant (which he really doesn't seem to understand yet), and we also just got a puppy. I know that these two changes could be causing the regression, I just don't know what to do about it/how to fix it.
I want him to know that it isn't ok to pee in his pants without making him feel ashamed. I have just been trying to continue on like we have been, but it isn't getting any better.

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM

hey there,

I'm guessing you're onto something when you mention the puppy/pregnancy as a cause for regression. Puppies have accidents often, so he may be seeing this and trying it out too.

As for how to help him with it, I hear you - you want to help them through this but not attach shame to what they are doing. My ds went through a phase after a few weeks of being in underwear only where he had some accidents. My mother reassured me this was normal and sure enough, it passed without needing to give it attention. He will sometimes have a tiny bit of pee in his underwear when he's having fun and doesn't go to the toilet right away. I just don't even mention it. We did a modified version of Elimination Communication with him from a young age, so we've always just sort of went along with toileting without attaching much emotion to it, good or bad. If I see my ds has peed himself, I comment on it and on the fact that it must be uncomfortable (oh, your underwear are wet, that can't feel comfortable), change him and remind him to come to the toilet next time. simple reminders.

Good luck and I hope this settles soon for your ds.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

He had two accidents in the car yesterday, but has been really good this week about making it to the bathroom in time at home!

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page