Boy potty training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy is 25 months old. We have cloth diapered up until now. We introduced the idea of toileting to him about 6 months ago but with no pressure. His interest has increased in the last month. We have had great success with pee pee. He asked to go and has only a few accidents. The only problem is that sometimes he askes to go pee pee but then he strains to pee. Sometimes it's a good steady stream and sometimes it's just a few drops. My husband is worried that we are doing this too early but ds doesn't really want to go in his diapers anymore except to poo poo.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Thanks!!
#2 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM

I think it's just part of the learning process. Even adults have urges that come and go sometimes and I definitely remember having to pee at say 3 and by the time I had the opportunity to go at 3:03 it wasn't really happening. If he strains say right before you leave the house then it's even more understandable: he's trying but his bladder is pretty much empty. I would absolutely stick with it in the supportive, no pressure way you are doing. He is interested and he is trying but it will take him time to learn what urgency means and how much time he has to get to the potty. I would also suggest that you see if he is willing to poop on the potty because if he gets into the habit of pooping in diapers only then it will be tougher to change that when he is older. It sounds like you're doing great though and that he feels safe and comfortable to learn.
#3 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Is 20 months too early to start potty-training? I don't want to push it, but he has started to inform me when he has a dirty diaper or is about to poop.  At first I thought it was a fluke, but its been almost every time now for the last two weeks. 

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Rdehoff, it's not too early to start for sure. As long as you keep it low pressure and don't expect him to be perfect quickly, it will be fine. You can introduce the potty and work up from there. Of you're interested, the book diaper free before three has good tips on working with young toddlers. I started my DD on the potty long ago but we are still in cloth diapers and have many misses (she's 17 months old). To me the great thing about starting early is that it just becomes part of the routine and isn't a big, strange - possibly scary - transition later on. Just my two cents smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks I'll check the book out. I'm not anticipating he'll get it right away or anything.  I was just hoping it wouldn't be too discouraging at this age if he is confused, but maybe you're right and it will be less scary later.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We started before 24 months. At 31 months he's still not quite there. But he's pretty close. I expect he will be potty trained by age 3 (except for overnight). My theory is that you can't start "too early" but it is possible to push too hard.

Personally, my goal is not total elimination of diapers overnight. My goal is a reduction of diapers, tapering off and into "big boy underwear" eventually. I think it's a gentle, natural way to do it. I also think its better for the environment than waiting until he's "ready" for a 3-day method.

But other methods work fine too.
#7 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

We started before 24 months. At 31 months he's still not quite there. But he's pretty close. I expect he will be potty trained by age 3 (except for overnight). My theory is that you can't start "too early" but it is possible to push too hard.
Personally, my goal is not total elimination of diapers overnight. My goal is a reduction of diapers, tapering off and into "big boy underwear" eventually. I think it's a gentle, natural way to do it. I also think its better for the environment than waiting until he's "ready" for a 3-day method.
But other methods work fine too.

Very well said. I completely agree.
#8 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM

we started sitting on the potty around 18 months ish.  I'd put him on his potty when i knew he would have to go and then we'd sit there and read a book for a while.  If he pottied, GREAT!  If he didn't oh well, we just went on with our day.

At 2 he refused to let me put a diaper on him, while we were out going to Costco.  I was SOOO nervous, but he did great and we had a few accidents, but not many and that was that.  

I'd just keep on doing what you're doing.  Sounds like you are following his cues and letting him lead this adventure.

Hawkhurstsouth likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page