Suspension of disbelief - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Just curious - A lot of the distraction/gentle discipline techniques I've read about for toddlers involve some sort of fantasy.  This just does not work on my 2.5 year old.  I say "Ooh, I would love a cup of coffee! (from HER kitchen)"  She says, "But there's nothing really in there!"  I say "I hear your baby crying.  Maybe she needs a bottle!"  She says "But...she can't actually talk, Mommy!"  You get the picture.  I'm starting to think I won't be able to make Santa Claus happen.  Is this a personality thing, or does this type of willingness to pretend just come later on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

LOL, I'm laughing because this is my first child. She is a very literal child, her world consists entirely on black and white, no shades of grey at all. It was that way when she was 2 and it is still that way at age 9. Things are either real or not and why would you pretend otherwise? We never did Santa with her, it wouldn't of happened. She proclaimed herself to be an atheist at age 8. Life has certainly been interesting with her! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We didn't Santa, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy except as purely make believe. We read books about them, and my son really enjoyed everything Christmas!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

my guy doesn't pretend too much but I think that is partially because I am not encouraging it- I sometimes say let's pretend this- like when I am trying to get him into his carseat I say- do you want a pretend chocolate popsicle? and the chocolate popsicle phrase allows him to relax(and think about popsicles rather than resisting buckles)  and me get him buckled in and then I hand him nothing- but say- here is a pretend chocolate popsicle and he pretends to eat it for a minute and it is all good. But he doesn't do pretend on his own yet- I think that happens a little older- like late three maybe?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pretending is an important skill for toddlers. It develops their imagination and creative thinking. Like snapdragon, you might want to add the word "pretend" whenever you play make-believe. That way the literal kids understand the game and can play along in a way that makes more sense to them.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its about 50/50 for my little guy.  Sometimes he'll go right along with it pretending there is something to drink in his play cups or playing doctor with his little plastic kit fixing pretend boo-boos.  He'll get on the floor with me and act out different pets. Other times he says, "No mama all gone or no no" when he doesn't believe or agree with my musings.  He is absolutely terrified of Santa Claus and the Easter bunny so that was not really a fun pretend thing for us at all.  Ironically he doesn't care one bit about clowns and does not even find them amusing.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

User Tag List