What is your toddler's sleep schedule? Naps and bedtime? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 2 years and 3 months and we're trying to find a sleep schedule that works for him. Due to my work schedule, it isn't possible to put him down for a nap most days until 12:30ish. When he does start a nap around this time, he usually sleeps for about 2 hours, wakes up super grumpy, and then is up until 9:30 or so. On the days that he doesn't nap, he's usually a wreck in the evenings and we end up putting him to bed around 6:30. 

Just wondering what routine other toddlers around my son's age have--- we need to find a better schedule!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#2 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ours sounds like yours :)  Ds is almost 2-1/2  He usually is up at 7ish, naps from 1-3, and then goes to bed around 9 (does not sleep through the night, wakes up once or twice, but goes right back to sleep).  He used to nap from more like 11-1 and then went to bed around 8, which was great.  He also skips his naps sometimes, like today!, and then falls asleep around 6:30 or 7.  He will sometimes get really cranky around 4 or 5 when he skips his nap, so I have to really work to keep him busy or he will try to go to sleep then and then be up all night!  I think he still needs his nap, so I will keep trying, but it is kind of nice to have him go to bed so early.  We are definitely in teh midst of some kind of nap/sleep transition here though, so hopefull it will even out soon!  My dd stopped napping at 2-1/2, so we may be on that path...I work at night from home, so I kind of need the earlier bedtime if possible, so when his nap is causing him to be up really late that iswhen we will have to see how he does without it and strike a good balance. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#3 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM

DS just turned 2. I *think* he's always required more frequent sleep than others his age- he was probably around 20-21 months when he was ready to transition from two naps to one.

Anyway, we're just now getting into a good routine- he wakes up anywhere between 6 and 7:30 in the morning, and will go down for a nap between 10:30 and 12:30 depending on how early he woke up and when I can get the baby to sleep. He usually naps about an hour and a half... up to 3 hours if he's very very tired, and the stars align so that I can lay with him for the last half of his nap. As long as he's awake before 2, I can get him to sleep by 7:30. Otherwise, it's closer to 9 or 10.

I hope that helps at all- this is the first time in his life I've felt like we had a good sleep routine down.

#4 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD just turned 2. Like a previous poster mentioned, I kind of cater the nap time along with her wake up time. I usually have to wake her up at 7:15, to take the older two to school, and then she will go down for her nap at noon, and sleep till 2 or 3. If she wakes earlier than that, I will adjust her naptime earlier, which usually makes for a grumpy early evening for us. In theory, I should totally put her down for the night earlier on those nights, but I have a 7 and 10 year old, and the evening just gets away from us! 8:00 is the earliest I can get her to bed at night. She is usually in bed by 9 pm on the nights that she naps till 3. This is preferred for me because the older two are in bed and the house is nice and quiet and peaceful. 

Good luck finding a routine that works best for your family!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#5 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 AM

My son is 20 months he wakes up every morning almost like clockwork at 8am then naps around 11am for a couple hours.  We put him to bed every night at 9pm with only a few exceptions.  The time he wakes up and the time he naps is something we never strictly decided for him, but it just worked out that way after we decided on what bedtime would work for our family.  He is pretty flexible though if our schedule changes.  I'm wondering if you started putting him to bed earlier maybe your son could take a nap earlier in the day because he would wake up earlier? Or a later bedtime for a later wake up and later nap?

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#6 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM

My youngest son is 25 months old.  He's asleep from 8pm-7am, then naps from noon-2pm.  I also suggest trying an earlier bedtime.  We start our bedtime routine at 6:30pm.  Take bath, get in jammies, read books/nurse, brush teeth, lay in bed, sing two songs, then lights out. 

HTH!

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#7 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son is 32 months (2.5 years). He is up by 7 am most days. Nap, if he takes one, is a 1-2 hour block from 12-4 pm. He naps about 50% of the time. Then bedtime routine of bath, lotion, stories, songs starts at around 7pm and bedtime is 8 pm.
#8 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Man, you gals with nappers are lucky!

DS turned two on June 30th and his sleep schedule has been pretty much the same for most of the summer. In the Autumn/Winter we all go down earlier/wake earlier but for the summer we can't resist those nighttime glow bug hunts and things. Anyway he normally gets up between 7:45-9am, takes no nap during the day and goes to bed around 8-8:30. If we are driving in the car he may fall asleep, and I can transfer him to the couch and normally he will stay asleep. That afternoon nap means a later (9pm) bedtime. If he wakes earlier (7?) he will go to bed by 7:30-8pm. I try to do 12 hours from the time he woke up to make sure he's getting enough sleep.

We also do a rest period in the middle of the day for an hour or two

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#9 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM

DD is 2.5. She takes a nap around 1pm for about two hours. We try to have her asleep by 9pm, but I think we may need to start the bedtime process a little earlier because she's been waking up lately about 7am and I think she might need more rest.

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#10 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

24 MO DD, we're just transitioning to toddler bed for the last month and a half so this is all up in the air but seems like a routine is forming:

Sleep at 7:30 PM, awake anywhere from 5:30 - 7am, I put her down for a nap around 11:30am but she only actually sleeps about 1 out of 4 times. Otherwise it's quiet play time and she does really great with that (and then I nap... kinda... during that time). About a few weeks ago I realized I can't MAKE her take a nap but I can put her in her room and she can decide if she needs to or not. It's working out really great for all of us and she does pretty well. We noticed that she can be really cranky from 6-6:30pm but then snaps out of it right after 6:30, it's odd. If we give her a protein snack at 5:30 she's all right, she is sensitive to low blood sugar, I just know it (I am too).

#11 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

My son (turning 2 in a week) hasn't taken naps during the day in months and months. Occasionally, there will be exceptions but generally, once he's awake, he's awake. His typical waking schedule is anywhere from 6:30-7:30am and he'll go down for the night usually between 6pm-6:30pm.

We found when he was probably between 14-16 months old, we'd spent TONS of time trying to get him to nap in the daytime. It was exhausting us more than helping him and so we experimented to see what he'd be like without any naps. Honestly, I've come to rely and LOVE the time in the evening I have after he goes to bed. It gives me enough time to clean the house, straighten the kitchen and plan out the next day.

#12 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 PM

our twins wake between 8 and 9:30am usually based on if they fell asleep fast after their 4:30-5:30 wake and move to our bed from their room.

nap is always at 1 and ends between 3 and 3:30

bedtime is 8pm

non of these times have been picked by me, just noticed what worked and then stuck to it. i did push the nap back a tad, as the went from 2 to 1 naps, they were not getting any longer so i played with it and found a sweet spot that gave them the longest nap and the most balanced day.

i think they could go to bed a tad earlier, but dad does not get that much time with them and that is what it ends up being after dinner and a shower and such.

for the most part they sleep amazingly well, falling asleep by themselves in a few quiet minutes after nursing together with me on a chair, so something must be working.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#13 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! I'm impressed by those whose kiddos can do a relatively early bedtime (8ish) after a good nap. I wish that worked for us! DS is all over the place at this point---I'm hoping that maybe with fall and the days getting shorter, he'll be able to naturally fall into a routine. I can't seem to find one that consistently works---and it doesn't help that my work schedule is inconsistent. Sometimes he's up at 5:30, down for a nap from 11:30-1:30, but then not asleep until 9:30, and other times he won't wake up until 7:30, doesn't nap, but then falls asleep at 7pm.

On a very good note---DS has slept through the night for the past 4 nights--first time ever!!! (I hope I didn't just jinx it ;)

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#14 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM

i have found that the one thing that is the hardest is is consistency, i know it is soo hard. but every time i nap them earlier or later they sleep for less. and any time i keep them up too long at night, they actually wake more during the night.

i now bend over backwards and mess everything else up to sleep them at the right times, and it frankly sucks some days.

but this too shall pass, right?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#15 of 16 Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 PM

I have a 2.5 year old dd and a 6 year old ds, so dd's "nap" schedule is determined by when we need to leave to get ds from school. I accepted this summer that most days she will not nap and instead goes to bed ridiculously early some nights.

Dd is up by 6:45/7:00 in the morning with the rest of us. She goes in her room for "rest time" (music, books, quiet play) at 11:30 and we have to leave at 1:00 to pick up ds. She falls asleep for 45 min or so maybe every third day. Any day she does not take a short nap, she is in her bed for the night by 6:45 and falls asleep immediately. If she does take a short nap that day, she can stay up until 7:15, then again goes right to sleep. Dh does not get home from work until 7, so he does not see her on no nap days, but that's just how it is. She needs the sleep and she gets wacky when she's tired.

If I tried to let her rest and nap after we pick up ds from school, she wouldn't fall asleep for bedtime until after 9:00 and that just does not work for us, we have to be up and functioning in the morning so she would not get enough sleep. Not only do we take ds to school, but we have classes and errands to do. Plus, her and ds have activities a couple afternoons a week, so it would be super inconsistent. She seems to be doing well with it all, is happy with the consistent rest time and will nap when she really needs to.

When my ds was her age, he was up about 7:00, took a nap from about 1:00-3:00 and went down for the night by 7:30. He has always needed a lot of sleep and our schedule was more flexible since it was just him, so I was super anal about his sleep. Poor dd just has to roll with it being #2.

#16 of 16 Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM

To: Oliver's Mom

I've often thought about starting our routine at 6:30pm right after dinner and some quiet play when daddy's home. How long does it take for you angel to fall asleep once the lights are off? Are you rocking or does he fall asleep on him own in his bed? My son's been diagnosed with insomnia and cannot rest/calm himself....the bath/potty/brushing teeth....everything makes hime more and more hyper...can you message me if this sounds familiar and you have ideas? Thanks,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page