Toddler poop issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2 weeks ago my 2 1/2 year old's poop starting being loose.  I wouldn't call it full on diarrhea like he's gotten when he's had a bad virus.  It's just kind of mushy, and if it were in his little potty it would probably form a pile instead of log.  I've also noticed that when I wipe   there is some sand-like grittiness there. (oh my, so many poop details)  Previously, his norm was 3 well formed poops per day.  (he's a big boy and eats a lot)  

When we realized that this has been going on for a while, we took him to the doctor.  She didn't seem very concerned, saying that the range for what is considered normal toddler poop varies quite a bit.  I explained that this was not typical for him though.  She said diet can contribute.....like too much juice or sugar.  I mentioned that he drinks no juice and eats no sugary treats on a regular basis.  We got to talking about something else (I was also there to talk about a few other things) and my son was being really impatient and distracting....and afterwards I realized I wasn't very happy with her response.  

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, or what tests I should ask for.  

I don't even really how to change his diet to see if thatt's causing it because he doesn't eat the things she mentioned to avoid.  I think I'll cut out the dried fruit and maybe not let him eat really big meals.  (...but he's always done both of those things and hasn't had this problem)  Right now he eats almost no dairy or gluten and takes probiotics.  

I would LOVE to hear some thoughts.  Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Some possible causes:
Infection
Food allergy
Anxiety
Medication side effect
Bowel disease
Too much fruit/fruit juice
Too many fatty foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page