How much food is too much? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks guys :) I just love her and want to make sure she is healthy and happy!

#32 of 38 Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi,

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a lack of sugar in her diet.  Yes, fat too, but if she is eating meat she is likely getting fat in her diet, although at two having some kind of milk or milk alternative(not the store bought milks) is going to be of importance and also... fruit.  Kids need almost the same quantity of sugar and fat in their diets.  Candida overgrowth comes from fat or other things blocking the body from absorbing the sugar in the blood properly.  So one piece of fruit a day is going to cause her to want more and more food for sure, and especially if she is not also eating grains which is another form of sugar for the brain/body.  The first three years the quantity of glucose to that massively developing brain is so important and while protein is extremely easy to get because it is contained in everything, and while there is at least a little fat in most things, at this age kids need a lot of fat and a lot of natural sugar.

Also, I couldn't tell from reading, but you said you don't eat much around her, I would try to eat meals together with her and eat the same foods she's eating in front of her.  That diet really doesn't sound that restrictive for a 2 year old, which is still very young... or even an adult, if you were eating seasonally that quantity/variety would change with the seasons and would actually be a very healthy and pleasurable way to eat, if you really think about it.  Anyway, the point is, I think she's getting enough variety and I don't think that is the problem, just that she needs a little more interaction during meals to understand the "food thing"  (I always see a little obsession, figuring things out with kids at this age) and that she needs a little more fat and fruit, more than likely.

I would look into a few different(and opposing) ideas on nutrition, allergies, children's health, candida, etc. 

#33 of 38 Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. She is eating grains though... Millet, quinoa, amaranth, rice and buckwheat primarily (although buckwheat isn't really a grain I guess.)
#34 of 38 Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update here-- we have been limiting portions (except veggies) for a couple weeks now, and we have added a lot more fat to her diet. Although she no longer objects/ asks for more, I will say it does not appear to be working. Her energy levels are overall lower and she has actually lost 1.5 pounds which is a little alarming. She is also tending towards constipation lately, which for a child who has always been regular, is a red flag to me. Clearly she knows what she needs to eat, even if it's way more than the average 2 year old. I got Ellen S's book and we're going to give that a whirl. Thanks again to all you ladies for your helpful suggestions!

#35 of 38 Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

I have to admit it made me a little sad to read your update. I know what you go through, I also tried limiting portions and it had the opposite effect on dd, she gained 7 lbs in 3 months. As soon as I stopped limiting, her weight stabilized again.

On the positive side, we also had a check-up yesterday and the doctor seemed very unconcerned about dd's weight.

But I know it's hard not to worry.

I remember a quote from ES's book that almost made me cry:

"Even your large child is entitled to depend on you to do your feeding jobs and
then to be trusted to do her eating—and growing—jobs. Even
your large child is entitled to go to the table hungry, eat until
she is satisfied, and then stop, knowing another meal or snack
is coming and she can do it again. Even your large child is entitled
to be unconscious and unconcerned about it all, free from
worry about eating, moving, and weight."

caffix.gif

#36 of 38 Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

The nutritionist suggested that if it were true hunger, she'd eat veggies till she was full. It doesn't seem like its working. I was never worried about her weight where it was (more like I was worried about where it might go) but now, it's downright low in my opinion... 27 pounds but nearly 36 inches tall. Not underweight but she's clearly feeling a little low energy. Time to fix it. I have faith we will find the balance.
#37 of 38 Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hmm.  Did you try increasing fats without limiting portion sizes?  I don't really buy the "she'll eat veggies until she's full" idea.  Since you're not particularly concerned about her weight, isn't it okay for her to eat whatever she wants to satisfy "true" hunger? 

#38 of 38 Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well like I said, that's next for us (following Ellen S's method). The advice we received doesn't appear to be working for her metabolism. And until I weighed her, here I was scratching my head thinking, Why does she not want to run and play lately? Duh. Mommy fail greensad.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page