How do you wash your kid's hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD just turned 2. While she loves bath time, she's no fan of getting her hair washed. I do my best to make jokes and otherwise move as quickly as I can. But I thought I'd see if there are any good ideas for getting through a hair washing without tears.

TIA!

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#2 of 22 Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM

I've always attempted briefly to get my child to look up by pointing to a spot on the ceiling and singing "up! up!" but when that doesn't work, I'm not opposed to dumping the water over the head.  It usually only takes 2 good times and then a dry washcloth or towel over the eyes typically prevents much, if any, crying.  At least that's been my experience. And my girls learned that if they want to avoid water streaming over their faces, they'd better look up quickly when I say look up.  :)

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#3 of 22 Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quickly and with tear-free shampoo.
He still complains sometimes but we spend the rest of bath time having fun.
#4 of 22 Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My LO hates having her hair washed too but we are mostly tear-free these days. Certainly very little heartbroken sobbing now.

This is what we do...
She sits in the bath facing away from us and holds a folder washer over her eyes. She's pretty good at tilting her head back but needs reminders. Sometimes if she's very resistant we let her watch something on the iPhone.

We use a container to pour water over her head and I usually sing a nonsense song about what I'm doing. "Shampoo, shampoo. Rubbing all the sham-poo through Juliet's haaaaaiiirrrrr."

We also leave it to the end so if she wants to get straight out for a cuddle she can. These days though she will often play a bit longer. I think just getting Older has helped more than anything we did.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 22 Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM

We don't have a bathtub, we have only a walk-in shower, so my son is used to water on his head! I just use the California Baby wash on washcloth and try to suds him up quickly- he doesn't like it- and then I let it rinse as he sits under the water.

#6 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I don't!

Unless there is seriously caked on mud, I don't wash it or even wet it.  Maybe once a month (or less) he gets real soap, and wetted down maybe twice a month.  His head smells great!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM

My son doesn't like having his hair washed, but over time it's gotten to be less of a chore.

I don't wash it every time he has a bath, only about every other day or so (unless he's gotten food in it).  Sometimes I just rinse his hair with water if it isn't that dirty.

I save that bit for the very end of the bath, so if he gets annoyed by it, it's basically over with anyway.

And I warn him it's coming.  (He seems to prefer to have some notice).

#8 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Chiming in for advice on this one.  My daughter's hair is long and the front parts almost always get covered in food.  But washing it is such a chore.  I usually do it right as I'm filling up the bath, dump the water over her head to rinse (I've found no way to make it easier, so I just try to get it done fast).  Having read "Tubby Time" by Leslie Patricelli, she's decided that she needs a towel the instant she gets water in her eyes.  Once I dab her face with it, she's back to playing.

#9 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM

This might sound funny, but we use the peri bottle I got from the hospital and I fill it with water to rinse. I tell her it is her own little shower, and for the first time in 2 years we are able to rinse with no tears!
#10 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM

I LOVE the peri bottle idea!  Wish I'd saved mine...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#11 of 22 Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM

I made my own peri bottle this week by rinsing out a Palmolive dish soap bottle!  Usually, though, to get through hair washing, I tell this elaborate and silly story about one of DS's toys climbing the bathroom wall all the way up to the shower head.  Then I perch his toy ON the shower head.  While he's busy looking, I quick rinse his hair and since his head is tilted back, he doesn't get any water in his eyes.  If that doesn't work, sometimes one of his other toys has to go "rescue" the toy that is stuck on the shower head.  Keeps him looking up for long enough to rinse.

#12 of 22 Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 AM

I too used to dump over head quickly then grab a dry washcloth to dry her eyes. Then I got this foam visor out of an Avon catalog that is designed to keep water out of the eyes. Daughter loves it! Bath time is no longer a scream-fest.
#13 of 22 Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have this: http://www.amazon.com/Lil-Rinser-Splashguard-Blue-Pink/dp/B001B1FHIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348249706&sr=8-1&keywords=lil+rinser

There are many similar products you can find on Amazon. It really helps.....IF your child will let you use it. Ours did a few times but then was even more freaked out by it than the hair washing. We tried to make it like a silly toy but it just didn't work. DS hates having his hair rinsed so much that honestly I only wash his hair about once every 3 weeks, or whenever it gets just too grimy. I have been positively surprised just how long his hair stays decent looking without washing! wild.gif I also put in some Dr. Hauschka's powder occasionally to stave off the grease for a few more days. Anyway we only wash his hair when either DH or I can get in the bath with him, so he can lean back into that parent while the other rinses. Also the parent in the tub holds a dry towel over his eyes which somewhat helps, but there is always intense screaming.....but it only lasts as long as it takes to do it and dry off his face....maybe 30 seconds. We also talk about it before and so he is well prepared. Also, the book Tubby Time does help a little because there is some hair rinsing crying in that book and so he can relate to that.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#14 of 22 Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 PM

We, too, wash as little as humanly possible...usually until DH says DS' hair is starting to stink, haha. orngtongue.gif  I just don't think it's worth the scream-fest!  Sometimes he will play in the shower (with cups, getting water from the tap and pouring) while I'm in and he will just so happen to get his hair wet (sometimes from not-so-subtle mom splashes 2whistle.gif).  I would say we only *really* wash it about once a month.  We do it at the end, like others have said, so I can pull him out, dry him off and nurse the tears and righteous indignation away! Cuss.gif  Seriously, it's like he's been horribly betrayed - poor lil dude.  The tears start the moment water hits his head, through the shampoo, and the rinse is like the grand finale.  I try to get him to look up, but no dice - maybe a toy story like mariee suggested would do the trick - I'll have to try it.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#15 of 22 Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

My LO hates having her hair washed too but we are mostly tear-free these days. Certainly very little heartbroken sobbing now.
This is what we do...
She sits in the bath facing away from us and holds a folder washer over her eyes. She's pretty good at tilting her head back but needs reminders. Sometimes if she's very resistant we let her watch something on the iPhone.
We use a container to pour water over her head and I usually sing a nonsense song about what I'm doing. "Shampoo, shampoo. Rubbing all the sham-poo through Juliet's haaaaaiiirrrrr."
We also leave it to the end so if she wants to get straight out for a cuddle she can. These days though she will often play a bit longer. I think just getting Older has helped more than anything we did.

Why did I never think of the folded dry washcloth before??  We've had TWO no-cry hair washings in a row.  I have her hold the towel over her eyes while I rinse.  She'll even agree to look up, so even less water gets in her face.  Amazing how one little thing can do the trick.  Thank you thank you thank you!

#16 of 22 Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=442788

I used this for both my kids. My toddler showers with me. Lo gets her hair rinsed daily. Most days I put some conditioner in it to controls the curls. Shampooed 1-2x week

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#17 of 22 Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristah1000 View Post

This might sound funny, but we use the peri bottle I got from the hospital and I fill it with water to rinse. I tell her it is her own little shower, and for the first time in 2 years we are able to rinse with no tears!

Fantastic idea!

And so many good tips, here. Thanks, mamas!

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#18 of 22 Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM

I only wash 1x/week unless needed (food in hair).  My daughter has been very receptive to laying down in the tub on her back to get her hair wet, sitting up so I can shampoo it using a shampoo bar, and then laying down again so I can rinse it clean.  No water gets in her eyes.

snguyen likes this.
#19 of 22 Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM

i have found with many things that the way to get less fight is not to do it less, but to do it more. so my personal policy with hair washing, nail clipping, and now tooth brushing is to do it all the dam time, but maybe only a tiny bit each time.  so we clip nails ever few days, but i only do an many figures as i can before the swimming starts. i wash hair nearly every night but maybe only for a moment and then rinse.  i think it gets them into thinking it is really a tiny thing that just happens, rather than an event to fuss bout.  now i am brushing teeth ever night, i sign the same song each time (ABC's) and ask them how far they can go? one is very ticklish in her mouth apparently, so it has turned into a contest of giggles to see you can get to the end of the sound for a big family cheer!

the other two things i did about water on the face, was from a tiny age i poured water over them, without soap and with my hand blocking most but not all from their face. we would always count 1,2,3 and pour, we started just pouring on their back and neck, then working up to the top of the head, in 4-5 pours each bath. they got so used to the counting, they know what to expect. i get a VERY dirty look if i forget to count now.

i also shower them and the play for a long time in the shower, so they are super used to water on their faces now, the stand under it and playa around, i'm actually very surprised.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#20 of 22 Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM

I use a wet (occasionally soapy) wash cloth that has been squeezed out a bit. Then massage his head with it. He loves it. I use a wash cloth to 

rinse by squeezing the water out on his head a little at a time. We do not wash that often. I agree with the doing things more often to get them used 

to it theory and use this when it comes to nails and teeth (we also floss every night). However I do not bathe him often because his skin gets dried 

out and his head smells worse when I do (bathe him often).

:
#21 of 22 Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM

DD doesn't mind getting her hair washed at all. We give her a dry cloth and she holds it over her eyes and tips her head back - she hates getting water in her eyes. We also let her "help" which means we give her a bit of shampoo and she washes the top while I do the back - she loves doing that part :)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#22 of 22 Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM

I'm going to try that Peri bottle idea.....I'm sure I have it somewhere.....or a dish soap bottle for sure!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page