A "mother's day out" story, if you feel like being angry with me... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 14 month old, Genevieve, got kicked out of mother's day out today.

Ok, not really kicked out, but this is what happened.  She's been going for a little over two weeks.  I put her in because it's only twice per week at a church that I like (despite the fact that we don't attend) and I believed the social interaction with other babies might be good for her.  

I noticed right away, as did my husband, that the director of the program seemed a bit cold, and the teacher was nice, but perhaps "too nice," (as in fake).

This has been Gen's first time being in a nursery setting (we have a wonderful nanny who cares for her in our home while we work), and she kind of freaked out.  She cried the first time we brought her, and continued being cranky the rest of the day. The next couple of times she went, we were told that she was fussy and didn't want to take a nap.  Apparently Genevieve also kept the other children awake during naptime.

So today when we brought her in the morning, the director looked through her things and asked "where's her bottle of milk?"  I hadn't brought it, but instead had brought milk in a sippy cup which she takes fine at home.  The director insisted that "Genevieve NEEDS her bottle.  She is inconsolable without it."

So I told her that I would bring a bottle back before naptime.

When I arrived back 2 hours later, I approached the door and heard my baby screaming BLOODY MURDER.  I paused at the door for a second and peeked in, and Gen was flopping around on the floor alone screaming, as the director made aggravated noises and phrases like "OH MY GOSH."  That's how my baby was being cared for.

So I burst through the door, and the director and the teacher both informed me that Gen had screamed the entire time I was gone.  It didn't matter what they did...she wouldn't stop crying.  

"She doesn't play...she won't crawl or try to walk...she just cries.  I don't know how this is going to work.  I don't think she will ever adjust." is what was told to me by a very irritated director and teacher.

So as I sat there rocking my poor baby, who was now perfectly calm and happy since I was back, I told them that she never acts likes this and she's a perfect baby at home.

The director quizzed me about my nanny: "That girl who keeps her...she must hold her all day long...?!!"

I said no...she reads with her, plays with her, etc. and that this is the first I've ever seen Genevieve behave like this.

The director said "Well, we just had another baby drop out...Hope.  She couldn't adjust...cried the entire time.  She's 14 months old and still being breastfed."  Apparently being breastfed until 14 months of age is a cause for a baby to be overly fussy.

Anyway...I for one am happy to have my fussy, spoiled, extended breastfed baby back home where she belongs...where she knows she is cared for and loved.

I am so upset about this.  I can't believe I let my child be in a situation with those two women, and I'm so glad I got her out of it so quickly. But I must give props to my Genevieve, for knowing when she's in a negative situation, and for VOCALIZING that knowledge!   I hope that assertion serves her well all of her days.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Way to go you and Gen. I am slowly realizing that people are nuts! Keep doing what you are doing!

emma1325 likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Kudos to you and Gen! My kids would've done the same thing in that situation...

emma1325 likes this.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM

You and Gen are much better off. Have these caregivers never seem separation anxiety at all?! It took weeks for my niece to transition to a caregiver. My 18 month old DD wont be left alone with anyone but my mom and she had a fit with even her last week when DH and I ran out for groceries. My mom is her absolute favourite person (hopefully after DH and me) and the second she walks in, DD only comes to me to nurse. I still can't leave though eyesroll.gif Good thing those women weren't looking after Gen while you work. Do what I do; just take DD with you on your day out. It will be tiring but fun!
emma1325 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page